PDA

View Full Version : Quick Memory question...

$n][pErMan
07-04-05, 02:47 PM
Hey.. I currently have 1 GB (2 pcs 512) DDR (400) PC-3200 Corsair Value Select (VS1GBKIT400) running at 200Mhz FSB (400Mhz). Ratio 1:1 with CPU FSB at the moment using CAS 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 8. At 2T.
Im curious if anyone has tried or knows for a fact if I can run this at 1T and if so what I might have to change on the timings to do so?? Id just try it, but its a huge pain in the ass to reset my cmos if the system does not post so I would kind of like to know if anyone thinks or knows if it will work at 1T. Thanks! :)

rflair
07-04-05, 03:00 PM
The memory should run fine at 1T, problem is I remember you saying your system was only game stable at the overclock your running, running a timing of 1T will make the stabilty problems worsen.

One thing I can say is that if you lowered your overclcok to 2.4GHz and ran the same timings you have now but with 1T it would probably bench the same if not higher then your current setup. you might also gain 100% stability.

There's no use running a non-stable computer, thats half assed.

$n][pErMan
07-04-05, 03:20 PM
The memory should run fine at 1T, problem is I remember you saying your system was only game stable at the overclock your running, running a timing of 1T will make the stabilty problems worsen.

One thing I can say is that if you lowered your overclcok to 2.4GHz and ran the same timings you have now but with 1T it would probably bench the same if not higher then your current setup. you might also gain 100% stability.

There's no use running a non-stable computer, thats half assed.
Mmm .. thanks for the info... I think I will try that. That would be 12.5 x 192 = 2400Mhz. So use 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 8 with 1T? I'll have to see how it works.. hopefully the system posts! :) Otherwise I have to remove my video card and hard drives to get to the damn JP5 jumper :p

PSYCHODAD
07-04-05, 03:44 PM
[pErMan']Mmm .. hopefully the system posts! :) Otherwise I have to remove my video card and hard drives to get to the damn JP5 jumper :p

That would be a royal pain. Another way to do it would be if you had a stick of low latency ram lying around which you could use in case of non-posting(just boot and reset timings in bios).

$n][pErMan
07-04-05, 04:00 PM
Ok .. another question. There is a setting in the memory timings area that I have no idea what it is. I currently posted with 1T timing with 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 8. FSB = 185 (figured I should start lower and work my way back up). Ratio of FSB to ram is 1:1. Now there was a setting in the memory area called "REF to ACT/REF to REF" you could choose 15T 14T 13T or 12T. Im currently set at 15T cause I have no idea what it is. Do any of you know or know what I should set it at?? Thanks. :)

$n][pErMan
07-04-05, 08:12 PM
Never mind .. sloved my own problem. Check this link, its not for my motherboard but the memory info is the same for anyone. VERY GOOD memory timings guide :D
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397
My current timings are 2.5-3-3-8 with 1T command and 13T tRFC. Might try setting the tRRD to 2T (as recommened) .. but its 3T right now cause the word "current surges" scared me for that one. Also... im running this on my original overclock of 2.5Ghz @ 200FSB (400Mhz memory). Oddly with all the memory tweaking I only beat my old 3dMark05 score by 14 points .. lol. I did try it at 2.4Ghz but the memory test was still unstable... so im back at 2.5ghz and the same error comes up in prime so as long as my games work im happy :) Its not CPU related tho as prime works great in the FPU test.... always fails the memory one (even at lower clocks). I might be able to fix this now that I know more about the memory timings.