PDA

View Full Version : 7800 old core? retards...

Pages : [1] 2 3

j0j081
07-05-05, 06:06 AM
My fellow gaming buddies are driving me nuts. The other day a few of us started chatting about video cards. I ask if anyone has a 7800 yet? These retards start bashing the 7800 saying it's basically an overclocked 6800 and that the core is the same. I'm like wtf no it isn't! If it's the same core why does it support new features? They tell me I'm stupid and need to go read up on it. According to them the 7800 has been put down by most of the major tech sites. Again I'm like wtf? I read visit most of the major tech sites and almost all the reviews I've seen have been completely positive. Another f**ktard tells me the x850 performs just as well. After that I gave up but told them to visit nvnews if they want the truth and to get with it. Unless I am totally out of it this goes to show most gamers have no idea about computer hardware and are stubborn to boot. I wasn't sure what forum to post this in but just thought I'd share my miserable experience.

Demigod
07-05-05, 06:44 AM
There is a saying that applies here.

"Never argue with idiots they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

DSC
07-05-05, 06:55 AM
Your "buddies" obviously hasn't seen the Transparency AA feature....... ;)

Zelda_fan
07-05-05, 07:10 AM
lol ALL tech sites have shown that the 7800 basically owns anything else on the market by a very large margin. Anyone who says differently dosen't know WHAT they are talking about. Just go to Anandtech or HardOCP or any other review site and show them the benchmarks, and watch as your friends feel like complete idiots.

Most likely your friends have been reading PC "Someone put me out of my misery because I lie" Gamer magazines or soemthing of the like. Those idiot magazines just put out complete crap, and people actually buy into it.

j0j081
07-05-05, 07:20 AM
LOL the funny thing is Anandtech is one of the sites they mentioned. Like I said I was 99% sure they were full of it.

5150 Joker
07-05-05, 07:38 AM
Well technically it is the 6800 core with extra pipelines and some new additions but there's nothing wrong with that. nVidia and ATi have been doing it for ages - tell them the X850XT is just the 9700 pro updated with 16 pipelines (literally).

zoomy942
07-05-05, 08:15 AM
its those kind of people that just listen to the industry "buzz words" and dont bother to learn on their own.

Son Goku
07-05-05, 08:26 AM
Sigh... The tired old argument of "uh uh, you f-in n00b. If you /message your password to that password scammer, they can't steal your account. The game doesn't let you type your password, try /m it to me now..."

I've heard people call others dumb for putting more then 256 MB in their win2k boxes on the presumption that having un-used memory will cause it to degrade or something. Emailed someone (who's a comp engineer) and he was like "yeah, the Internet is full of them". We both had a bit of a laugh :D

When I was helping someone who had a PII klamath (yeah, one of those 300 MHz space heaters that was still on the .35 micron process), a CD burner, 3D accelerator, and some SCSI drives, by suggesting they needed to look at the cooling of their computer; some Intel certified person started grilling me on how "you people are all alike. You think cooling matters, it does not. You don't need to cool a PC. We ran a 486 in a 1" cubic box and never needed cooling. Why do you people think PCs need cooling." Yeah, the person I was helping asked me initially, because there computer was giving them problems...

When I asked him where he got this from, he replied, a bit indignent that I should even ask "I am Intel certified, and I am telling you..." :screwy: About all I could think "oh, is that what Intel is teaching you guys" :rofl

I told someone I knew, and he replied "Oh, that's nice. I got a post-graduate degree in computer engineering over 40 years ago, and have been working in this field ever since. I say he's full of it" :D

Ah well, you could show him some reviews from some of the sites he's referencing. Beyond pointing it out, there isn't much you can really say in a case like that...

hazindu
07-05-05, 09:11 AM
Your best bet is just not to talk to them about computer technology. I remember being in a room full of people discussing how the playstation 2 was going to be 20 times more powerful than the Dreamcast. I didn't find it worth while to argue that 66 million and even 20 million polygons per second were rediculously high numbers that the ps2 wouldn't reach, I simply didn't get in that conversation.

macatak
07-05-05, 10:50 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24306 :)

MUYA
07-05-05, 11:05 AM
My fellow gaming buddies are driving me nuts. The other day a few of us started chatting about video cards. I ask if anyone has a 7800 yet? These retards start bashing the 7800 saying it's basically an overclocked 6800 and that the core is the same. I'm like wtf no it isn't! If it's the same core why does it support new features? They tell me I'm stupid and need to go read up on it. According to them the 7800 has been put down by most of the major tech sites. Again I'm like wtf? I read visit most of the major tech sites and almost all the reviews I've seen have been completely positive. Another f**ktard tells me the x850 performs just as well. After that I gave up but told them to visit nvnews if they want the truth and to get with it. Unless I am totally out of it this goes to show most gamers have no idea about computer hardware and are stubborn to boot. I wasn't sure what forum to post this in but just thought I'd share my miserable experience.

well a tweaked VS engine, Intellisample 4.0 unit...and extra 2 quad blocks with tweaked fragment pielines! So its more than an overclocked 6800Ultra..in fact it's 5 mhz over the NV45 :) All this on 110nm manufacturing process.

I think your friends need to research a little bit more before coming out with statements like that.

toxikneedle
07-05-05, 11:18 AM
Nvidia fans are less stuborn than ATi fans, i'll tell you that. ATi fans are blind, deaf, but not mute when it comes to nvidia outperforming an ATi card. I personally will never buy ATi because I had an awful experience with 2 ATi cards that I bought. But if an ATi card is really outperforming an nvidia card, I'll just wait for the next nvidia release. Those friends of yours just hate nvidia. 7800 is a great card.

john19055
07-05-05, 12:46 PM
It worked for ATI a long time,when they put out the 9700pro they made good use of it ,the 9800pro was just a tweaked version of the 9700 and the X800XT was even more of a tweaked 9700 with extra pipes,but now since they do have to make a new one with PS3 VS3 they are running in to trouble,So I think the 7800GTX is just a tweak up version of the 6800ulta with a few extra but I can not blame them for doing it ,they are in it to make money.The X850XT is a great card but on down the road when games start useing PS3 and VS3 more and more the X850XT is goiung to get left behind.

hazindu
07-05-05, 12:57 PM
Nvidia fans are less stuborn than ATi fans, i'll tell you that. ATi fans are blind, deaf, but not mute when it comes to nvidia outperforming an ATi card. I personally will never buy ATi because I had an awful experience with 2 ATi cards that I bought. But if an ATi card is really outperforming an nvidia card, I'll just wait for the next nvidia release. Those friends of yours just hate nvidia. 7800 is a great card.
I don't much care for any fanboys, but I used to think(up till 5 minutes ago) that by the abismal standards of fanboys that nvidiots were the more tolerable fanboys simply because they spend more time praising nvidia as opposed to blasting other companies and their fanboys. Your post has reminded me that fanboys are fanboys and their all bad. :)

jolle
07-05-05, 01:11 PM
well a tweaked VS engine, Intellisample 4.0 unit...and extra 2 quad blocks with tweaked fragment pielines! So its more than an overclocked 6800Ultra..in fact it's 5 mhz over the NV45 :) All this on 110nm manufacturing process.

I think your friends need to research a little bit more before coming out with statements like that.

Basicly, its what "refreshes" usually are.
Sortof the same, but tweaked up and enhanced..
Geforce 256 -> GF2.
GF3 -> GF4.
GFFX -> GF6 -> GF7 (GFFX -> GF6 was perhaps borderlining on the definition of refreshes).

myshkinbob
07-05-05, 01:19 PM
You'd be hard pushed to call GFFX -> GF6 a refresh, they're very different chips, different ps/vs version even. The GF6 was arguably the most revolutionary card nvidia has ever put out.

toxikneedle
07-05-05, 01:32 PM
I don't much care for any fanboys, but I used to think(up till 5 minutes ago) that by the abismal standards of fanboys that nvidiots were the more tolerable fanboys simply because they spend more time praising nvidia as opposed to blasting other companies and their fanboys. Your post has reminded me that fanboys are fanboys and their all bad. :)
I understand where you're coming from but unlike my blind fanboism (and I know Im a nvidia fanboy) I actually have reasons. I had 2 ATi cards, 9700 pro and x800. Both of those cards were absolutely unoverclockable and my 9700 pro were definetely damaged because it would freeze, crash and stuff on stock speeds. Now, I blame myself because I didn't know about RMAing at that point and I didn't even know much about why it crashed and stuff until it was too late to return or whatever. Anyways, I'm only an nvidia fanboy because out of the two cards that I owned by them, 6800 and a 400MX, they were top quality and I cannot be more happier with my current 6800NU. But at least I don't bash ATi, I just refuse to buy their product because of my dissapointment with the 2 cards I owned by them..... if that makes me an nvidia fanboy.

Ninjaman09
07-05-05, 01:40 PM
(GFFX -> GF6 was perhaps borderlining on the definition of refreshes).
:wtf:

Are you serious? The cards had absolutely nothing in common!

Marcos
07-05-05, 02:10 PM
your friends are fanboys. end thread.

hazindu
07-05-05, 02:31 PM
I understand where you're coming from but unlike my blind fanboism (and I know Im a nvidia fanboy) I actually have reasons. I had 2 ATi cards, 9700 pro and x800. Both of those cards were absolutely unoverclockable and my 9700 pro were definetely damaged because it would freeze, crash and stuff on stock speeds. Now, I blame myself because I didn't know about RMAing at that point and I didn't even know much about why it crashed and stuff until it was too late to return or whatever. Anyways, I'm only an nvidia fanboy because out of the two cards that I owned by them, 6800 and a 400MX, they were top quality and I cannot be more happier with my current 6800NU. But at least I don't bash ATi, I just refuse to buy their product because of my dissapointment with the 2 cards I owned by them..... if that makes me an nvidia fanboy.

Actually, I was far more put off by your comments towards ati fanboys than your comments towards ati.
Nvidia fans are less stuborn than ATi fans, i'll tell you that. ATi fans are blind, deaf, but not mute when it comes to nvidia outperforming an ATi card If you've had bad experiences with ati cards and don't want to take any more chances, I see nothing wrong with that.

Sovereignxp
07-05-05, 04:39 PM
I think it is just what some people stated, it's a refresh part based on some 6800 series design and new features and new fab... in any event and whatever the case there is no denying that the 7800gtx is one bad ass mofo. Props Nvidia :headbang:

$n][pErMan
07-05-05, 06:27 PM
There is a saying that applies here.

"Never argue with idiots they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
hahahahaha :D

ragejg
07-05-05, 08:12 PM
Ha, this reminds me of some MOHAA junkies back some time ago who:

#1: Thought FOR SURE that the AIW 9700 Pro was actually more powerful than the "regular" 9700 Pro

#2: Went out in droves to buy the NEW GF4MX equipped with a whopping 128mb

#3: All bought Director's Cut editions of Pacific Assault

;)

MikeC
07-05-05, 08:31 PM

You're at NVIDIA fansite and you don't like fanboys? I believe that EVERYBODY at some point in their life is a fanboy of some sort of another. If you have to "tolerate" nVidiots why visit their fansite? I also believe you are a fanboy of something even if you won't admit it. ;)

Acid Rain
07-06-05, 12:37 AM
Your "buddies" obviously hasn't seen the Transparency AA feature....... ;)Or more than double the performance of a 6800Ultra in Fear and a number of other newer games at high resolutions. :rolleyes:

Jojo, just show them the high end benchmarks. At high resolutions, which is where any real gamer wants to be playing anyway, the 7800GTX obviously dominates so heavily there is no question as to it's utter destruction of all comers.

I think it is just what some people stated, it's a refresh part based on some 6800 series design and new features and new fab. Absolutely. It is a refresh. However, it is simply the most wicked refresh ever to grace the PC world.