PDA

View Full Version : Geforce FX5200 TwinView help!

eddyg
07-05-05, 11:44 AM
I'm trying to get TwinView to work on my SuSE 9.3 config with the 7667 drivers. I've done a lot of searching and think I have everything configured properly, so I'd appreciate any insight.

Here are some relevant lines from the X log file when it fails:

(--) PCI:*(2:0:0) nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] rev 161, Mem @ 0xdc000000/24, 0xd0000000/27

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.7667
Module class: XFree86 Video Driver

(II) NVIDIA X Driver 1.0-7667 Fri Jun 17 07:03:12 PDT 2005
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 02:00:0

(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP, CRT"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "RenderAccel" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "CursorShadow" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinView"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-80"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "56-60"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024, 1280x1024"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling experimental RENDER acceleration
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling cursor shadow
(**) NVIDIA(0): ConnectedMonitor string: "DFP, CRT"
(**) NVIDIA(0): TwinView enabled
(--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xD0000000
(--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xDC000000
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU detected as: GeForce FX 5200
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 04.34.20.18.00
(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected AGP rate: 8X
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kBytes
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using ConnectedMonitor string "CRT-0, DFP-0"
(EE) NVIDIA(0): The requested configuration of display devices is not
(EE) NVIDIA(0): supported in the hardware.
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
Why is it saying the CRT/DFP combo configuration is not supported in the hardware?

If I comment out the "ConnectedMonitor" line, X starts, but only with the monitor on the DB15 connector. The significant differences in the log file

(II) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s): CRT-0
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Only one display device connected; disabling TwinView.
even though there is is an LCD connected via a DVI cable to the DVI port on the 5200... from what I can tell, the card never detects anything on the DVI port.

Any ideas?

Thunderbird
07-05-05, 12:58 PM
Note that the monitor connected to the DVI port is the secondary screen and the one to the plain D-SUB (VGA) the primary. (most cards are wired like this) Because of this the secondmontiorvertrefresh stuff needs to become for the screen connected to DVI and so on.

eddyg
07-05-05, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Are there "special" refresh rates required for an LCD connected via DVI?

If i use:

Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "UseEdidFreqs"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "UseEdidFreqs"

or even just comment those options out entirely I still get the "requested configuration of display devices is not supported in the hardware" error...

Also, it doesn't matter whether I say:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP, CRT"

or "CRT, DFP", same error... and it always displays:

(with CRT first) regardless of the order specified in the xorg.conf file.

nicjo814
07-06-05, 08:09 AM
Are you sure that you should use CRT-0 and DFP-0? If I'm not totally mistaken it could be CRT-1 or DFP-1 or some other combination. You might try to remove the "connectedmonitor" option and check the logfile to see what is auto-detected.

eddyg
07-06-05, 04:47 PM
You might try to remove the "connectedmonitor" option and check the logfile to see what is auto-detected.
Thanks for the reply. I still haven't had any luck getting TwinView enabled. I did try what you suggested (removed the ConnectedMonitor option, see first post) and it only detects the monitor connected to the DB15 connector. It isn't seeing the LCD connected via the DVI cable at all.

As an interesting side note, I just tried using a DVI-to-VGA adapter on the DVI port and I see a "clone" of the DB15 output... is there something special you have to do to enable "digital" mode on the DVI connector (it appears to be in some sort of analog compatability mode since I can see an image when connected with the DB15 adapter, but nothing when connected with a DVI cable?)

nicjo814
07-07-05, 01:30 AM
Sorry, my mistake. I got stuck on the first part of your post. Unfortunately I have no idea what else to try if the DFP isn't detected at all.

shadowx10sion
07-07-05, 09:03 AM
Looking at the README is seems you only have to enter
ConnectedMonitor "CRT, DFP"
or
ConnectedMonitor "DFP, CRT"

Remember, that when using twinview, you share a unified framebuffer between both devices (allowing drags and drops between screens), and you get the benefits of OpenGL acceleration on both displays, but I find you might want a secondary X config file to go back to plain device1 LeftOf device2 configuration for some OpenGL apps and games. Certain screensavers and applications try to span (not so gracefully) even with nVidia's Xinerama extension.

Once you get TwinView working, backup the XFree86/Xorg config file to lets say "XF86Conf.twinview" or "xorg.twinview", then make another config file like "XF86Conf.dualview" or "xorg.dualview", then copy over your XF86Conf/xorg.conf file with these two files before starting X to switch modes. You can also configure a TV, then back the configuration file up to another xorg/XF86Conf file, etc... so you can switch between locations and modes with relative ease.

Hope that helps.

eddyg
07-08-05, 09:53 AM
Looking at the README is seems you only have to enter
ConnectedMonitor "CRT, DFP"
or
ConnectedMonitor "DFP, CRT"I have tried that... and in the output in my first post, you'll see that it gives an error message about not being supported. Without the above line, no display is ever detected on the DVI port, even though it is connected.

Remember, that when using twinview, you share a unified framebuffer between both devicesYes, I understand the difference between having a single virtual monitor spanning 2 displays on :0.0 vs. configuring X directly with two separate screens as :0.0 and :0.1.

But that really isn't the problem -- the problem is I cannot get my FX5200 and the Nvidia driver to recognize that there is something plugged in to the DVI port. If I leave out the "ConnectedMonitor CRT,DFP" option, the driver will only detect the display on the DB15 (analog) port. If I include the ConnectedMonitor option (trying to "force" the driver to realize there is a digital LCD connected to the DVI port), I get the "not supported configuration" error message.

Very frustrating.

eddyg
07-12-05, 11:54 AM
So is nobody else using a similar config that can at least say "I have the same setup and it works fine for me" or "nope doesn't work for me either"?

Aaack
07-12-05, 09:26 PM
Hey! I have a FX 5900 with twinview working perfeclty well, here's my xf86config-4:

# File generated by XFdrake.

# ************************************************** ********************
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# ************************************************** ********************

Section "Files"
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "Keyboard"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "es"
Option "XkbCompat" ""
Option "XkbOptions" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Generic"
ModelName "1024x768 @ 60 Hz"
HorizSync 31.5-48.5
VertRefresh 50-60
Gamma 1.9 2.1 2.1

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
# 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494 563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "TwinView"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "DPMS"
Option "NoLogo" "1"
Option "CursorShadow" "1"
Option "CursorShadowAlpha" "30"
Option "CursorShadowYOffset" "4"
Option "CursorShadowXOffset" "6"
Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
Option "backingstore"
Option "NvAGP" "1"
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "VertRefresh" "CRT-0:50-60; CRT-1: 50-60"
Option "HorizSync" "CRT-0: 30-48.5; CRT-1: 30-48.5"
Option "Metamodes" "1024x768,1024x768; 800x600,800x600; 640x480,640x480; 1024x768,NULL;800x600,NULL; 640x480,NULL"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, CRT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "TwinView"
Monitor "monitor1"
DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
Virtual 2048 768
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 15
Virtual 2048 768
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Virtual 2048 768
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 2048 768
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "device1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection

Check the screen section.

Hope you find this useful, good luck!!

eddyg
08-13-05, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the reply! (Sorry for taking so long to respond, been away for a while working on other projects.)

Looks like you are using "CRT, CRT" which may indeed work.

However, I'd like to know if somebody has it working with "DFP, CRT". This error message:

leads me to believe that you cannot do TwinView with DFP + CRT, only CRT + CRT...

slippifishi
08-14-05, 06:10 PM
Hi,

just thought i'd drop a note to say i'm having a very similar problem getting twinview to work on my geforce fx5200. i only installed suse linux for the first time last weekend, and though im enjoying the linux experience so far, this twinview problems is really getting my goat.

im using an ag neovo lcd display, and trying to run my tv off as the second monitor, for playing games and dvds and what have you. however, when i edit my xorg.conf file, and add the "connectedmonitor" option as "tv, dfp" or "dfp, tv", my flat panel refuses to work. i'm getting output on the tv, but no amount of editing or messing around can seem to get my flat panel to work at the same time :@

if anyone has any ideas, do please tell. i'm dying to watch a dvd and the small screen just isnt enough! :)

eddyg
01-16-06, 07:27 PM
After all this time and driver revisions, I still am unable to get an FX5200 to work with TwinView.

I've tried every combination of DFP & CRT on the "ConnectedMonitor" line (including "CRT,CRT" while using a DVI->DB15 adapter and two "regular" VGA displays) and it never works.

I either get the:

Configuration not supported by hardware (when setting ConnectedMonitor to DFP/CRT)

message (as shown above) or:

Only one display device connected; disabling TwinView (when setting ConnectedMonitor to CRT/CRT.)

I am so completely frustrated I could just scream! (Actually, I have screamed about this problem many times, mostly lots of 4 letter words.)

Why isn't it detecting the second display?!?! I always end up seeing a clone of the main display on the secondary display.

There. I feel a little better. Can anybody recommend a video card that is known to support TwinView, works in a regular AGP 8X slot (no PCI-Express) and doesn't have any fans? I could care less about 3D performance; I just want dual monitors!!!

eddyg
01-17-06, 11:38 AM
So here is a summary. Does anybody have any ideas?

When I have:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, DFP"

in my xorg.conf, I get:

and the X server does not even start.

Now instead if I use:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, CRT"

(and use a DVI-to-DB15 adapter), or if I remove the ConnectedMonitor line altogether, I get:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Using ConnectedMonitor string "CRT-0, CRT-1"
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Inappropriate ConnectedMonitor string. <-- this implies to me "CRT, DFP" is the "right" option!
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Only one display device connected; disabling TwinView.

but the X server does start, but both monitors display the same image (no TwinView = useless).

So what gives? The "CRT, DFP" (or "DFP, CRT", doesn't matter) option should work since the 5200 should support TwinView... or are there versions of the FX 5200 that have both the DB15 and DVI connector but do not support TwinView?! I have an Albatron FX5200LP (http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/vga/overview.asp?pro_id=88), lspci shows it as:

0000:02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

and X logs:

(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected AGP rate: 8X
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kBytes

For reference, SaX logs this additional info:

(--) NVIDIA(0): Found 2 CRTCs on board
(II) NVIDIA(0): Supported display device(s): CRT-0, DFP-0, TV-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Boot display device(s): CRT-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Chip Architecture: 0x30
(II) NVIDIA(0): Chip Implementation: 0x34
(II) NVIDIA(0): Chip Revision: 0xa2
(II) NVIDIA(0): Enabled display device(s): CRT-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mapping display device 0 (CRT-0) to CRTC 0

(and my card doesn't even have an S-Video port!)

eddyg
01-17-06, 04:26 PM
I'm beginning to think more and more that perhaps my FX 5200 card is somehow "crippled" (or maybe the driver is broken).

Searching the net, I found other lines from log files like this:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Supported display device(s): CRT-0, CRT-1, DFP-0, TV-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Boot display device(s): CRT-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU detected as: GeForce Go 6600 GT

and even a log file from an FX 5200 in this forum post (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60979) that clearly shows two CRT entries!

(II) NVIDIA(0): Supported display device(s): CRT-0, CRT-1, DFP-0, TV-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Boot display device(s): CRT-0, DFP-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Chip Architecture: 0x30
(II) NVIDIA(0): Chip Implementation: 0x34
(II) NVIDIA(0): Chip Revision: 0xb1
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 04.34.20.56.01

Notice how it shows both CRT-0 and CRT-1... but in my case, it only shows a single CRT-0 entry...

Can anybody from Nvidia confirm what is going on? Am I screwed because I have a "rev 0xa2" chip and BIOS 04.34.20.18.00?

DaveWeis
10-03-06, 12:31 PM
Did you ever get this figured out? I am having the same issue, I believe.
I plug a VGA cable in everything works fine. If i turn the machine off and in DVI the monitor will act like its alive, but nothing will be displayed on the screen.
If i run dual monitors VGA works of course, and DVI displays no images, even though the software recognizes both the monitors.

Maggie
11-05-06, 05:29 PM
Hi I'm having the exact same problem as well.

When I plug in a secondary monitor on the DVI slot it all it does is produce a clone version of the first monitor. I've tried downloading new drivers but nothing seems to help.

When my card is set on a dual "span" display mode. It recognises there is a second monitor and behaves like it is using 2 monitors however both monitors are only displaying the same output.

Does anyone know of a solution to this at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

netllama
11-05-06, 05:57 PM
nvidia-xconfig -a --twinview