PDA

View Full Version : Best Motherboard Manufacturer

junkbond-jones
07-05-05, 09:03 PM
who do you consider to be the best mobo manufacturer currently?

who did you consider to be the best in the past?

Riptide
07-05-05, 09:22 PM
ASUS at the moment. Abit used to be real good but they've been pretty mediocre lately.

jAkUp
07-05-05, 09:33 PM
Abit- Been going down BIG time. Especially since Oskar Wu left.
Asus- Not exactly notorious for their OC'ing, and both of the boards I have owned, I did not like. I hate their BIOS layout, and they mask things like memory ratio's behind 133/266, confusing to me who is used to the 1:1.. etc. They are also usually very limited on voltage options, and have too many usless "extras" to me. Talking BIOS??!! Instant music??!! Gimme a break.
DFI- My favorite after Oskar Wu arrived. The best OC'ing boards, although the nF4 board is too picky on memory.
EPoX- Another one of my favorites. They are a great OC'ing no frills board.
GIGABYTE- Never again after discovering how difficult it was to set up a RAID on the flagship 875 board.
intel- Great, stable boards. Thats it. No overclocking whatsoever.
MSI- They used to be pretty sucky as far as OC'ing goes, but they are very nice now, their K8N Neo4 is the close 2nd place overclocker.

anzak
07-05-05, 10:00 PM
No chaintech?!? :p

I'd say DFI for their overclockability.

Kamel
07-05-05, 10:06 PM
20 votes for DFI here... not only are they the best motherboard, but i don't think there is any possible way to make a motherboard better than they do. you could make the same board cheaper, but that's about it.

edit: for the reasons, i like DFI because of their pioneering of high voltages and quality VR's and mosfets. they are obviously the best overclockers, and that's why. also their tech support is great, i absolutely love hanging out on the DFI forums. also, although most people don't really praise them for this, their boards are rock solid. i've never had a stability problem with my dfi board. now, my ram and my cpu have had stability problems from pushing them too far, but the board itself has never had a flaw really (i did have to rma one for a memory channel going out, but that happens to the best of them).

i've never had to increase the chipset voltage to be able to acheive any of the overclocks i've ever done, which is very impressive, and tells me that it's quality. most other boards require quite nasty mods to the northbridge (32bit series that is) in order to get past 215-230fsb, but the dfi board does 250+ fsb without a hitch.

CaptNKILL
07-05-05, 10:46 PM
I voted for Abit and Epox. The Abit NF7-S 2.0 was an amazing board and its still the best you can get for the socket A platform IMO.

My Epox 9NDA3J is also an amazing board. The overclocking and the ease of use is just fantastic. It just WORKS. I love how setting an overclocking option too high in the BIOS doesnt require me to clear the CMOS (instead, it beeps a few times then temporarily runs at defaults so i can change things a little... the actual settings stay the way I set them too, so its VERY convenient).

Havent really owned any of the others myself. Ive had a few Gigabyte boards (KT333C chipsets im pretty sure) and they worked decent enough but sucked for overclocking and didnt have many nice features.

SLippe
07-06-05, 02:35 AM
I voted MSI, because that is what I have now and really like, but I am soon switching to a DFI, so...

retsam
07-06-05, 03:29 AM
what ever happened to tyan ... pffff give me a quad dual core opteron anyday over any of those

Lfctony
07-06-05, 04:03 AM
Asus now, Asus in the past. Rock solid boards above all, great overclockers in my experience, though others may testify otherwise. :)

MSI is down low on my list. I went twice with them, bad experience with my first one, my current one looks fine so far. Time will tell. Albatron's not very good in my book, had one die on me, very unstable overclocking. Intel boards are also very solid for the non-overclocker.

Gator
07-06-05, 08:27 AM
I voted for Asus and DFI.

Asus I've always trusted for quality motherboards, and I'm glad I made the switch back to Asus from my previous craptastic Gigabyte board (whom I'll never recommend again). And lemmy tell you Gigabyte warranty support is an utter nightmare, so pray you never have to contact them.

DFI I know very little about, but some of the finest rigs I've seen on the web including Jakup's seems to be using that DFI NF4 SLI board, which is filled with features and overclocks like crazy.

As I'm an AMD man I certainly can't vote for Intel, and besides they have limited BIOS features and no overclocking whatsoever.

Abit I used to buy, but not anymore. I just don't trust their quality anymore.

Epox makes a damn fine board, nice overall package of goodies, and fair prices; but my limited experience with them prevented me from voting for them.

I've never had an MSI motherboard, although I've heard good things. What I don't like is my friend purchased an MSI FX5600 Vivo AGP some time ago, and we couldn't get the MSI Multimedia center with MSI remote to work properly. I tried calling and sending multiple emails, but MSI never got back to us nor did they fix his issues. Therefore I can't comfortably recommend MSI de to crappy support.

Riptide
07-06-05, 09:29 AM
These motherboard companies seem to have a tendency towards inconsistency with a few exceptions. Take DFI for example. Every loves them now, perhaps for the reason jAkUp mentioned, but they also had a real bad reputation for QC not all that long ago. Things seem to change pretty fast in the motherboard market. All it takes is a couple dogs in a row and you're company is pretty much FUBAR in the mind's of enthusiasts.

nVestor
07-06-05, 11:03 AM
Asus now, Asus in the past. Rock solid boards above all, great overclockers in my experience, though others may testify otherwise. :)
When it comes to stability, Asus comes to my mind. If you add Intel/Asus combo, you'll have one of the most stable systems for sure.

Just because it doesn't have the voltage options of other manufactures doesn't mean Asus is a slouch. Observe what Macci did with an Asus P4C800-E and a Pentium M. I don't know of any other mobo that was able to accomplish what Macci did with that Pentium M.

w00t! :cool:

Namrok
07-06-05, 11:43 AM
The last several ASUS mobos I've seen have been real dogs. Constantly causing problems and just being weird in general. A friend of mine had that SLI-Ultra one which the bad fan, and the SLI Selecter card keeps popping out randomly because the clips are pretty loose. The last ASUS board I personally owned was in one of the most unstable computers I've ever used. It retrospect, it may not have been the mobo's fault, but all the components in that machine left a bad impression on me. It was also the last Pentium computer I ever owned. I've generally heard good things about ASUS though, so maybe I'm just in some sort of weird bizarro ASUS zone.

I'm rather a fan of Abit lately. Picked up their AN8 which hasn't given me a single problem what so ever. Even overclocked pretty well for my feeble first attempt.

Ninjaman09
07-06-05, 11:58 AM
Yeah, the AN8 is an awesome board. It's my first Abit product and I have to say I'm impressed.

nVestor
07-06-05, 02:43 PM
The last several ASUS mobos I've seen have been real dogs. Constantly causing problems and just being weird in general. A friend of mine had that SLI-Ultra one which the bad fan, and the SLI Selecter card keeps popping out randomly because the clips are pretty loose. The last ASUS board I personally owned was in one of the most unstable computers I've ever used. It retrospect, it may not have been the mobo's fault, but all the components in that machine left a bad impression on me. It was also the last Pentium computer I ever owned. I've generally heard good things about ASUS though, so maybe I'm just in some sort of weird bizarro ASUS zone.

I'm rather a fan of Abit lately. Picked up their AN8 which hasn't given me a single problem what so ever. Even overclocked pretty well for my feeble first attempt.
Well they do say 90% of pc related problems are user related... :p

I've had 6x Asus mobos, 2x MSI and 1x ABit. By far the Asus mobo's have been the most stable. That Abit mobo was a KT7A KT-133A which the NB Chip burned up, completely pissing me off. (*Strange when the NB chip was passively cooled)

Since Oskar Wu's depature, I see little reason to go Abit anymore. I am begining to consider DFI now though. :)

BrianG
07-06-05, 03:10 PM
Well they do say 90% of pc related problems are user related... :p

I've had 6x Asus mobos, 2x MSI and 1x ABit. By far the Asus mobo's have been the most stable. That Abit mobo was a KT7A KT-133A which the NB Chip burned up, completely pissing me off. (*Strange when the NB chip was passively cooled)

Since Oskar Wu's depature, I see little reason to go Abit anymore. I am begining to consider DFI now though. :)
A friend of mine works in a lab testing board after board and the Asus boards are usually the top of their testing. My real world results have been similar.

I had an Abit Via mobo for my OC'ed Duron. That was a good board, a friend of mine still has it running in his daughter's computer.

I had Asus for nForce, nForce2, and now with the nForce4 SLI. I bought the MSI nForce3 as part of a bundle and regretted it. It lacked some features I had goten used to on the Asus boards. The simplest being space bar power up, heh. I now live with out that due to my USB keyboard, but my previous case had a cover over the power button.

No, Asus is not the best tweaking mobo out there, but I have enough CPU power at the moment to just not give a damn. They also chug out BIOSes with real fixes. The latest beta is supposed to correct an issue with "turn off hard drive" in power management. Yet to test it.

So ya, I voted Asus.

Riptide
07-06-05, 04:46 PM
IMO 90% of average user problems stem from not RTFM or in some other way being ignorant.

The percentage nosedives when you're talking about an experienced enthusiast. I can vouch for most of my problems being due to badly coded drivers/software and in some cases bad hardware implementations. Motherboards in particular are quirky, to the point of being ridiculous sometimes. Athlon64 boards in particular.

kev13dd
07-06-05, 05:07 PM
eVGA!

K

rohit
07-06-05, 07:02 PM
ASUS for sure, ive experienced 3 asus boards (2 of intel, one i have now for amd64), they are too good wen it comes to features + stability and compatibility. My p4p800-e deluxe was excellent (wen it launched), and now this A8V is awesome too. Many of friends using asus mobo's havent had a single problem as yet, (besides once this guy's BIOS dissappeared accidently, but it got fixed instantly by inserting the asus support cd. so ASUS is the best imo, wen it comes to mobo's.

MSI- 3 my friends experienced memory incompatibility probs with 12 msi mobo's (4 of nf2, 3 for p3 and now for amd64).
wtf, they have wierd incompatibility issues with certain brands (example Corsair, Transcend kingmax etc. the only mem worked on 'em properly, was rotten hynix with rotten timings and samsung which is rarely available. on installing a blutooth dongle, system starts restarting. on installing Gainward's 5.1 soundcard... system didnt boot.. wierd)

Gigabyte - OMG. why do they have to make things so complicated. It took a hard time understanding during the installation of ga-k8ns pro.
they are ok, but it takes a while to understand things with 'em.

and INTEL, sells like hotcakes. all the noobs end up buying Intel. especially the processor + mobo bundled. (where people save nuthing, but intel saves on pakaching)
i still dont understand why (intel offers 1 yr warranty, while asus, gigabyte etc offer 3 years. other makes put better integrated audio, better accesories, cables, better looks, features etc etc., but no use, intel has and can outsell any brand here.

dont knw about others, never available here.

Banko
07-06-05, 10:40 PM
I voted for Abit, Asus, DFI because well I've owned all 3 of these brands well never had a problem!