PDA

View Full Version : AMD Athlon 64 Venice or Winchester?

SLippe
07-06-05, 01:22 AM
I am looking at either the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Socket 939 or the same except Winchester. Both are the same price over at NewEgg. I don't know what the difference is, but I suspect one runs cooler than the other, but I'm just guessing, therefore, I am asking you all. Which one would you suggest since both are the same price?

jAkUp
07-06-05, 01:32 AM
Venice. :) Runs cooler, better overclocker, fixed memory compatibility :D You can't go wrong.

SLippe
07-06-05, 01:34 AM
Venice. :) Runs cooler, better overclocker, fixed memory compatibility :D You can't go wrong.
Yeah, I've just been searching the 'net for some comparisons and that is what I found. Looks like Venice may be the early choice/winner. Thanks, jAkUp.

Lfctony
07-06-05, 01:47 AM
I wish you luck, I didn't have any. I can't even overclock mine.

Gator
07-06-05, 08:28 AM
Venice = very overclocker friendly

[/thread] :D

zoomy942
07-06-05, 08:48 AM
i would go venice. its basically a winchester with the memory controller tweaked and it runs cooler. :)

SLippe
07-06-05, 01:08 PM
Venice it is!

CaptNKILL
07-06-05, 02:49 PM
Another vote for Venice... mine is running great with a 700MHz overclock on stock cooling at good temps :)

Riptide
07-06-05, 02:49 PM
Capt'n you are a lucky guy. Looks like you got a good chip for overclocking.

CaptNKILL
07-06-05, 03:18 PM
Capt'n you are a lucky guy. Looks like you got a good chip for overclocking.
Yeah, I have to say Ive been very lucky with CPU overclocking. My last CPU was an Athlon XP 1700+ TBred B and it overclocked fine from 1.46 to 2.18 on a cool day... I normally ran it at 2.0 though to keep my temps low even when it was real hot outside. Best part is the thing only cost me $50 about 3 years ago... hell of a deal :)

1337_Like_ThaT
07-06-05, 03:55 PM
I wish you luck, I didn't have any. I can't even overclock mine.

Look at the memory your running. That would be acceptable on an Intel platform, but AMD you should get more aggressive stuff.

Venice is my choice by the way :)

Bad_Boy
07-06-05, 04:30 PM
you guys make my winchester sad :(

Riptide
07-06-05, 04:44 PM
Look at the memory your running. That would be acceptable on an Intel platform, but AMD you should get more aggressive stuff.I believe he tried using dividers and that didn't help. The CPU was the limiter, not the RAM. Lfctony correct me if I'm wrong there.

CaptNKILL
07-06-05, 05:08 PM
Look at the memory your running. That would be acceptable on an Intel platform, but AMD you should get more aggressive stuff.

Venice is my choice by the way :)

Uhm, isnt that just the opposite of how it works? I thought Intel systems were very memory bandwidth hungry to the point where expensive ram can get you more performance than better cooling.

Socket 939 systems dont rely on RAM speed at all. They already have so much more memory bandwidth than other CPUs that you can underclock your ram by quite a bit (to get higher CPU clocks) and you wont lose any noticeable amount of speed.

Riptide
07-06-05, 05:18 PM
Timings don't do much for performance on either system. Bandwidth is important to P4, not so much A64. Expensive RAM is overrated especially in a stock system. The idea is that if you're overclocking and using RAM with good timings it usually has more headroom (clock speed) at relaxed timings.