PDA

View Full Version : PNY 6600 GT System Freezes

Pages : [1] 2

Chaduke
07-06-05, 02:15 AM
My card is running fine in 2D but locks up the system with 3D games. The sound also goes into an endless loop type thing and I end up having to hit the reset button to reboot. It also locks up on 3DMark 2003 at around the same spot on the first demo, give or take about 20 frames.

Here's my specs :

Athlon 2400+
ASUS A7V8X Motherboard (VIA chipset)
1 Gig PC 2700 RAM
500 W Ultra power supply (brand new)

I got the AGP 6600 GT 128MB from PNY a few days ago. I'm running WinXP SP2, fully updated. Latest DirectX and NVidia drivers. Latest bios updates on my motherboard. I just bought the power supply to replace the 350 W Enermax I had there before thinking maybe power was the culprit.

I tried disabling fast writes in the bios and by using RivaTuner but still have the same issue. Prior to this I was using a GeForce 3 Ti200 for about the last 2 years on this same system aside from the new power supply and never had a single problem.

My case has 3 decent coolermaster fans and stays relatively cool inside so if overheating is the issue its not because of the external hardware, perhaps a problem with the card itself.

Tommorrow I can try blowing a large fan into the case, that's worked for me in the past dealing with CPU overheating issues, unless someone can suggest something better. Also, is there a utility I can use to directly monitor the temperature on my board?

I appreciate any suggestions you can give based on my setup. I'm thinking I'll end up sending my card back at this point though.

Gentle
07-06-05, 07:25 AM
The AGP version of the 6600GT requires a power lead plugged into a power socket on the video card.

Have you done this?

Gentle

Chaduke
07-06-05, 10:14 AM
Yeah, that's definitely plugged in. The driver will actually give you a message after windows loads up if its not plugged in.
I tried blowing a box fan into the case at full blast but it didn't stop the lock ups. The heatsink on the card is not even getting hot though. I can touch it after the lockup and its barely even warm.

Chaduke
07-06-05, 06:46 PM
Spent some time this morning speaking with PNY's tech support. The guy I talked to said I'd already tried everything he could tell me to do and then transferred me to someone elses voicemail.
It's now about 8 hours later and I haven't got a callback. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get someone on the phone just now with no luck. Looks like they're pretty busy. Oh well.

fluxion
07-07-05, 12:57 AM
i joined this forum for this specific issue. my system does the same exact thing, random lockups during 3d gaming, occasional infinite sound loop, completely unresponsive necessitating a hard reboot.

processor and video card are well below 50C during the time of the lockup.
agp fastwrites are disabled with RivaTuner.
memtest passes.
latest drivers, though this has been happening since i got the card 5 months ago.

specs:
AMD64 3000+
XFX 6600GT AGP
Chaintech K8T800
512mb PC3200

i'm going through this monstrous thread about the 6800 freezes, but i'm not entirely convinced this is related since the agp fastwrite thing seemed to work for most of those guys:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759

if anyone knows of any information pertaining to this specific issue i'd be extremely grateful.

Chaduke
07-07-05, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't call my lock-ups random though. They occur at around the same time every time. Not the exact frame but basically when things start to get pretty busy on the screen, or about 3-5 minutes in, whichever comes first.

I can't play any games to a point where I could complete a single level, so basically the card is worthless as far as 3D is concerned.

Still no callback or e-mail from PNY. I'm starting to feel like I deserve some compensation for my trouble now. When I return my card I'll be asking for a different brand, maybe even an ATI, heh.

fluxion
07-08-05, 01:19 AM
ahhh, ok. mines a little bit different, happens after 30 minutes or so, sometimes after an hour, but it's gaurunteed to happen with 3 hours of playing, and lately it seems to happen more and more often, especially when things get a little busy on the screen but sometimes it'll look up when im just standing still or something.

i'm gonna try the 66 and 80 drivers, see if that does anything. i'll also be picking up a new video card cooler so i can slam on some ramsinks in case it's the vram that overheating. ill let you know if anything helps, cuz our issues might still be related.

burzin
07-08-05, 03:54 AM
I got the AGP 6600 GT 128MB from PNY a few days ago.

I appreciate any suggestions you can give based on my setup. I'm thinking I'll end up sending my card back at this point though.

Hi, I too have a AGP 6600GT 128MB with nearly the same problem. That is the Game would freeze at a point and I had to reboot. I did everything that you did without any help.

I then downgraded my ForceWare drivers to 66.93 and Voila! No problems! Just hours of gaming without any problems!

I think there is some problem with the 7x.xx drivers and our configuration. Delete the old drivers with Driver Cleaner 2 and install the 66.93 or any 66.xx drivers and see what happens.

Hope that solves your problem.

Regards,

ajac
07-08-05, 10:58 AM
One thing to try is remove the PCI card thats right under it. I had my sound card directly under my BFG 6600 GT and it would freeze up graphics looked wierd all casue of over heating. Ever since I removed it thigns have been great

fluxion
07-09-05, 03:18 AM
Hi, I too have a AGP 6600GT 128MB with nearly the same problem. That is the Game would freeze at a point and I had to reboot. I did everything that you did without any help.

I then downgraded my ForceWare drivers to 66.93 and Voila! No problems! Just hours of gaming without any problems!

I think there is some problem with the 7x.xx drivers and our configuration. Delete the old drivers with Driver Cleaner 2 and install the 66.93 or any 66.xx drivers and see what happens.

Hope that solves your problem.

Regards,

indeed, the 66.93 seem to have fixed the problem. sweet!

only downside is a bit of a performance hit. 3dmark05 dropped from like 3500 to 3200. i'm playing around with some other 66.xx drivers, oddly enough the omega performance modified drivers were even worse. it's a shame the 80.xx drivers didnt fix the problem.

oh well, better than rebooting every 30 minutes :)

edit: official 66.97 drivers seem to be a bit better, but be forewarned i havent really tested them to see if they fix the crashing i'm just assuming all the 66.xx drivers will be okay.

and dont even with those modded ones unless you know exactly what's up with them, most of them seem to make me a few fps >slower<, even with the "performance only" option selected.

Chaduke
07-10-05, 12:24 PM
I used driver cleaner then rolled back to 66.93 but I still have the same problem. 3D Mark03 freezes at about frame 4500 or so.

fluxion
07-10-05, 07:08 PM
I used driver cleaner then rolled back to 66.93 but I still have the same problem. 3D Mark03 freezes at about frame 4500 or so.

damn that sucks man. i dont have the link anymore, but at some point i came across a rather long thread about the various issues concerning the 6600gt, among some of the suggestions i saw there that i havent seen elsewhere are the following:

-use a dedicated power connector, not one that's shared with another device
-reset the power connector and pinch it really hard
-try dropping down to 4x agp

there was bunch more but i cant remember. it's all a stretch at this point but definetely worth a shot.

DMagic1
07-10-05, 08:21 PM
I have not been able to find the location in my bios(ASUS P4P800S motherboard) to drop down to 4x. I tried with Coldbits 2 but the slide bar always jumps from 4x back to 8x. I'm also unable to disable fast write.

Chaduke
07-11-05, 02:13 PM
I'm thinking there's got to be something defective on the board. I'm not sharing the power cable running to the board, and my power connector is pretty solid. I'm using an Ultra modular power supply so my gfx board has its own nice cable. I'm not sure what you mean by resetting and pinching it though. If power was a problem the driver would complain. I also tried dropping down to 4x and 2x before but that didn't help.
I'm calling for an RMA today.

burzin
07-12-05, 01:16 AM
I'm thinking there's got to be something defective on the board. I'm not sharing the power cable running to the board, and my power connector is pretty solid. I'm using an Ultra modular power supply so my gfx board has its own nice cable. I'm not sure what you mean by resetting and pinching it though. If power was a problem the driver would complain. I also tried dropping down to 4x and 2x before but that didn't help.
I'm calling for an RMA today.

I dont think it is anything to do with the power supply cause if it were, you would get a "complain" from the driver. Ask for a change in board or try out this board in another PC with a similar configuration (I know that would be difficult).

Best of luck!

fluxion
07-19-05, 12:20 AM
welp, looks like a jumped the gun a bit. the 66.xx drivers didnt fix the problem, i just happened to be really lucky that day and didnt get any crashing. they're back in full effect however, and annoying as ever.

I've considered RMA'ing the card, but due to a lack of overclocking options on the VIA K8T800 chipset i've decided to upgrade my motherbaord to a Chaintech VNF-250. So i figured I'd stick it out with the card for a bit, because i have a sneaking suspicion that these issues will go away when i switch to the nforce3 chipset. The new board should be here this week, I'll let you guys know what happens.

fluxion
07-25-05, 02:13 AM
welp, looks like a jumped the gun a bit. the 66.xx drivers didnt fix the problem, i just happened to be really lucky that day and didnt get any crashing. they're back in full effect however, and annoying as ever.

I've considered RMA'ing the card, but due to a lack of overclocking options on the VIA K8T800 chipset i've decided to upgrade my motherbaord to a Chaintech VNF-250. So i figured I'd stick it out with the card for a bit, because i have a sneaking suspicion that these issues will go away when i switch to the nforce3 chipset. The new board should be here this week, I'll let you guys know what happens.

yah, no crashes since i switched to the nf3 board. 77.72, 80.40, it's all good.

definetely some compatiblity issues with agp 6600gt's and k8t800 boards. could be via chipset drivers (although i tried using microsoft's agp driver and that didn't work), could be nvidia's video card drivers, all i know is it's running like nothing was ever wrong in the first place.

tabasco122
08-03-05, 02:14 AM
damn, that sucks. i have the exact same problem with mine. i tried everything you tried, and im will rma it because nothing works.

Chaduke
08-04-05, 06:52 PM
Well, I finally got my new board in today. I went on the chance that it was a defective board and got a brand new one of the same kind. I ran 3DMark03 and it actually made it all the way through the first demo, something my other board never did. I'm thinking "awesome, it was a defective board after all", then the second demo starts running and it locks up about 5 seconds into it.
My next guess would be an incompatible motherboard. The combination of an ASUS A7V8X and the PNY 6600GT. It would be interesting to find out if other people have had problems with this combo.
This blows.

burzin
08-05-05, 08:56 AM
This blows.

Damm bad luck !

Hope you solved the problem?

Regards,
Derek

void
08-06-05, 06:13 AM
-use a dedicated power connector, not one that's shared with another device
-reset the power connector and pinch it really hard
-try dropping down to 4x agp

Power connector selection (non-sharing, that is :-) may help ensure that not so perfect quality PSU can actually deliver the power on 12V rail. The nominal output does not hold full truth.

Have you tried detaching GPU, memory and HSI heatsinks, clean whatever thermal appliance PNY used and applied paste anew?
And have you updated card's bios?
-- edit
Should read till end of the thread, MB problem. Above *may* help with overclocking the 6600GT. Zalman VF700-Cu is exellent replacement for default fan/heatsink.

Chaduke
08-11-05, 09:56 PM
I think I may have finally found the source of the problem.
It appears to be DirectX. I've tried re-installing DirectX also and for some reason it wont actually go thru the install process, it just goes right to a screen that says "Install is complete", or something of that nature.
The way DirectX is embedded into Windows now there's no real way to uninstall it as far as I know, so if something gets corrupted you pretty much have to re-format / reinstall Windows I guess.
Then again it may just be a DirectX issue without it being corrupted.

Basically I added a -opengl option at the end of the shortcut to all my 3D games and I no longer get lockups. For games that let me choose between the two, I lock-up with DirectX, not with OpenGL.

Isn't it interesting that I've gone through 4 tech support people at PNY and 1 tech support guy at ASUS, tried everything they suggested, and not one person suggested I try forcing OpenGL instead of DirectX?

Well, looks like my next step is to reformat Windows when I can get the time to do so, unless there's a way of forcing a complete DirectX install.

betterdan
08-11-05, 10:09 PM
Don't worry about reinstalling I can almost guarantee you that you will have the same problem after all of that. The reason you get the "Install is complete" message is because you are trying to install the same version of Direct X that you already have. I reformatted before a couple times and the problem was still there. As you have found out like many others Opengl seems to work fine but the problem is with direct 3d games. I have had this same problem for over a year now so don't feel bad.

Chaduke
08-11-05, 10:17 PM
Ya I've completely confirmed it now. 3DMark03 ran all the way through just now and I've never gotten it past the second demo before. As long as I can fix all my problems by adding -opengl I guess it wont be too big a deal.

betterdan
08-11-05, 10:25 PM
I don't know where you got the idea that putting -opengl on the end of all your game shortcuts will make them run in opengl but that is false.