PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte i-RAM

Pages : [1] 2 3

junkbond-jones
07-06-05, 06:01 AM
HKPC article translated (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=zh_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.hkepc.com%2fhwdb%2firamdisk-gbt-1.htm)

HOT DIGGITY DOG!

EDITED BY MUYA : DO NOT LEACH OTHER WEBSITES BANDWIDTH! WE HATE IT AND WE DO NOT EXPECT OUR MEMBERS TO DO IT TOO! YOU CAN UPLOAD THE GRAPHICS AS ATTACHMENTS!

Gator
07-06-05, 11:59 AM
I need it. I want it. I gotta have it. :eek:

newls1
07-07-05, 07:06 PM
That would make for one REALLY fast WINDOWS BOOT DRIVE....However, will it loose its memory when you shut off the PC though?

Roliath
07-07-05, 07:10 PM
Yes

ricercar
07-07-05, 09:42 PM
will it loose its memory when you shut off the PC though?

I expect the card won't loose its memory unless the retaining clips break.

I expect the card won't lose memory contents with that black lithium battery on the right side.

CaptNKILL
07-07-05, 10:06 PM
That is freakin sweet... I cant read gibrish too well, does anyone know how long it can hold the memory with that battery (if thats indeed what its for)?

Itd be an awesome thing to stick a swap file on though, especially if your systems RAM slots are already filled.

Viral
07-07-05, 11:14 PM
It booted into XP in 6.42 seconds, where the 7200.7 took 13.17 seconds. Impressive. :)

And wow, look at those PCmark 2004 results! 57,699 HDD score vs 4,122!

I assume it would only need the PSU to be supplying power to the mobo to work. If it isnt, then you have up to 16 hours before you lose the data. Sounds safe to me.

pscl227
07-08-05, 04:45 AM
do you think since it uses a sata interface that it could be ran in raid 0 if you had two of them :eek:

CaptNKILL
07-08-05, 06:10 PM
do you think since it uses a sata interface that it could be ran in raid 0 if you had two of them :eek:
:lol2: Wow, can you say overkill??? :lol:

jAkUp
07-08-05, 06:17 PM
:lol2: Wow, can you say overkill??? :lol:

Nothing is overkill when it comes to computers... especially Hard Drives, they are the slowest thing on a computer :afro: Personally, I would love to run a RAID 0 on them.. too bad it would be so expensive :(

Gator
07-08-05, 07:37 PM
If I remember correctly, it comes with a rechargable battery builtin. So it can retain data while the PC is turned off for a couple days.

I just wanna use it for my swap file, maybe some UT2k4 ONS maps :cool:

junkbond-jones
07-08-05, 08:26 PM
seems like it would be a great investment if you have old ddr sitting around. even slow ddr is blazing fast compared to HDDs.

CaptNKILL
07-08-05, 08:36 PM
seems like it would be a great investment if you have old ddr sitting around. even slow ddr is blazing fast compared to HDDs.
Heh... EDO RAM is probably blazing fast compaired to HDDs. I think 72pin SIMMs were usually rated as 70ns or 60ns which is extremely slow by today's standards, but its still MUCH faster than the 5-15ms seek times of current hard drives.

And JAkUp, come on... do you reaaally need these things in RAID? We arent really talking about a hard drive bottleneck anymore when we have RAM running hundreds of times faster as a temp drive. It would be cool to have the extra space though... like if you put 4x2gig sticks on each board youd have 16gigs of extremely fast storage (and yes, possibly RAID as well :p).

Werent there some solid-state drives that looked like real hard drives shown somewhere on the net recently? I remember seeing them. I think if they can perfect batteries and keep data stored for as long as possible, people might actually start getting these things and using them to store their games and programs on to make everything faster. Id get one if the price was right :D

Roadhog
07-08-05, 08:53 PM
wow.. just imagine it loaded with 4gig sticks... and in RAID :D

CaptNKILL
07-08-05, 09:44 PM
wow.. just imagine it loaded with 4gig sticks... and in RAID :D
PCI slots will have a come back if RAM prices drop and these get real popular... people will load up their 5 unused PCI slots with 16gig i-RAM drives... thats 80gigs + some crazy RAID mode :eek:

I have a feeling it wont have RAID support, but I doubt anyone would notice anyway.

BTW, for 80gigs of memory youre looking at probably over $10,000 considering how expensive huge capacity ram sticks are. I think 16gigs would be MORE than plenty, but thats still over a thousand dollars... I could probably get by with 4gigs for about $350 if I found cheap ram.

If these things last a while, I guess thatd pretty much eliminate the need for ever getting a super fast high end hard drive. Magnetic drives will never ever reach the speeds of ram, so as long as you can buy more DDR, youll have the fastest storage device possible that is upgradable to whatever size you want. People usually get a 36-74gig raptor for games and and OS anyway, and this is hundreds of times faster than that and for the right price itl store plenty of data.

retsam
07-08-05, 09:46 PM
raid support can be done through the windows softeware raid...ive seen people raid 4 floppie drives toghter with that....

CaptNKILL
07-08-05, 09:54 PM
raid support can be done through the windows softeware raid...ive seen people raid 4 floppie drives toghter with that....
:rofl

Wouldnt that just be 4 times as slow? :D

retsam
07-08-05, 09:57 PM
hahaha ya .... and four more times to have to replace those damn disks that always go bad when you need them the most.....

Roadhog
07-08-05, 10:00 PM
so, why would you use PC3200 in that? Wouldnt PC133 be plenty fast?

CaptNKILL
07-08-05, 10:03 PM
so, why would you use PC3200 in that? Wouldnt PC133 be plenty fast?
There was one like that a while ago and it used an external power adapter... I dont think it ever hit retail though.

Any more, DDR is far cheaper than SDRAM. Check the prices. Especially for high capacity sticks that youd use for storage. A few years ago SDR was cheaper, but its price as stayed and the DDR prices dropped.

Its like EDO ram, you have to pay an arm and a leg to get any specific sizes and speeds from an online store. And youll probably pay 10x more per MB than you would with DDR even though its extremely slow by todays standards.

EDIT: Heh, heres an example ;)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146027

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146190

Thats probably the big reason they opted for DDR.

Roadhog
07-08-05, 10:09 PM
hmm yah, not bad... I found some PC2700

$66 - PC2700 DDR 1GB

junkbond-jones
07-08-05, 10:56 PM
512MB 3200 PNY 8.99 AR (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=491340&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ddr)

you can get it really cheap if you just look around. 2GB of that crazy fastness for under 40 bucks + cost of card.

retsam
07-08-05, 11:06 PM
wow thanks for the heads up ....

nutball
07-09-05, 08:21 AM
According to a post I read on a different forum, these things *are* RAIDable -- they just look like SATA drives to the BIOS / drive controller, so the usual techniques work (apparently). There's no real point RAIDing them for extra bandwidth though -- unless you're into hard-core video encoding bandwidth really isn't the limiting factor in your everyday Windows experience, it's the head seeks that kill performance, and it's the head seeks that this device will eliminate even when not RAIDed.

One possible issue is the accumulation of bit-errors due to cosmic rays over time. I haven't seen any suggestion that this thing supports ECC ram, which IMO would be pretty important if you're going to store your only copy of important files (eg. bits of Windows) on this RAM disk.

Gator
07-09-05, 10:22 AM
...Werent there some solid-state drives that looked like real hard drives shown somewhere on the net recently? ...

Yes they are available in high capacity, but they are mostly intended for military /enterprise use and are VERY VERY expensive.

http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_35_ide.php