PDA

View Full Version : Why does my BF2 performance sucks?

muaddib
07-06-05, 07:49 AM
Hello.

I've bought the retail BF2, and i'm quite disappointed. I never get above 50FPS.
I got a silky smooth performance in the demo, with all on high! Now, Lighting, Dyna.Lighting and Dyna.Shdows are on medion, and I get low performance...

My system is:

Winchester 3200+ @ 2500Mhz
MSI K8N Neo2 @ 3X HTT
1GB A-DATA PC4000 @ 3-4-48 1T (Crappy)
PNY 6800GT @ 402/1135
Audigy2 ZS

Settings are:

BF2 - All on high, except Dynamic Shadows, Dynamic Lighting and Lighting which are on Mediun. View is 100%, AA is on 4x.

Drivers: All optimizations are off, Conformant is OFF, Neg.LOD is Clamp (I know it affects only OpenGL, but oh well..) Prerender limit is on 2. Digital Vibrance is on 25%, so do Image Sharpness.

RivaTuner: AA forced to 4xRGMS, AF is 8x. Compress DXT3 instead of DXT1 is ticked. All other settings are default.

Thanks in advance.

Regards. :)

SH64
07-06-05, 09:08 AM
Who told you that LOD bias works for OpenGL only? .. it works for both OGL & D3D as i experianced.

anyway what res you play at ?

tobywong
07-06-05, 09:13 AM
What resolution are you running in?

If you have been trying out a number of different vid settings you may have a bunch of crap lying around in your BF2 cache. The game doesn't clean up after itself properly when you change vid settings. Some people have reported that this improves their performance:

Go in and manually clear out the cache directory then launch the game. It will go through its "optimizing" routine the first time through (if you look in the cache dir again it will have recreated the files for your current vid settings), after that you should be in business.

I'm at work right now so I can't tell you the exact directory but it's something along the lines of My Documents -> Battlefield 2 -> Cache. You should be able to poke around and find it.

macatak
07-06-05, 09:29 AM
This Guide (http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-2147-x-x-x&body_pagenum=3) might help :)

muaddib
07-06-05, 09:50 AM
I'm playing at 1024x768 @ 85hz because i'm running an old 17" CRT, and i've cleared the cache several times. Well, i'm guess i'm gonna read this guide.

EDIT: According to this guide, I should get at least 80 FPS stable... I just don't get it. I'll try defraging and un-force AAxAF at the nV control panel.

More advices? Thanks.

tobywong
07-06-05, 10:06 AM
I'm playing at 1024x768 @ 85hz because i'm running an old 17" CRT, and i've cleared the cache several times. Well, i'm guess i'm gonna read this guide.

EDIT: According to this guide, I should get at least 80 FPS stable... I just don't get it. I'll try defraging and un-force AAxAF at the nV control panel.

More advices? Thanks.

Those are avg FPS numbers, it doesn't mean it will hold 80 FPS stable. In fact it's going to be a lot worse than that at times.

Take a look here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/battlefield_2_demo_performance/page7.asp

Down at the bottom, min FPS drops to 38 for the GT in 12x9. Now add in a 64 player multiplayer game and a little network latency and you have a gaming experience that is far from ideal.

macatak
07-06-05, 10:11 AM
Are you using v-sync and which drivers have you installed ?

ps, are you forcing your refresh-rate ?

Zelda_fan
07-06-05, 10:18 AM
i hear you need 2GB of Ram of BF2 will stutter.

muaddib
07-06-05, 11:46 AM
- Yes, i'm forcing Refresh rate through RefreshForce.
- 77.72 installed.
- No V-Sync.
- Does anyone know what are the recommended bf2 settings for 1gb & 256mb v-ram?

Thanks.

particleman
07-06-05, 12:12 PM
Yeah RAM helps tremendously in this game, I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB it made a huge difference.

avirox
07-06-05, 12:24 PM
80fps?! Man, someone has to clue me in on that secret...

Yeah, maybe in a 20 player game, but in 64 player games it's normal to be in the 30s/40s/50s in BF2. The 6800GT is a powerful card but BF2 is something else. I've got an AMD64 3000+@2.22ghz/1gb ram/6800GT running 1024x768 8xAF 4xAA with most on high, lights med and dynamic shadows off (they're wacked with my drivers anyhow), and if I get 60+fps in a 64 player game it's either a fog map or something that wont last when I turn 80 degrees. It's normal, so dont fret :) Peace,

Zeta
07-06-05, 12:30 PM
At those settings a constant 80 FPS seems a little unreasonable expectation to me.

SElkie
07-06-05, 02:05 PM
Yeah RAM helps tremendously in this game, I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB it made a huge difference.

Agreed, I also made the jump from 1gb to 2gb and all my stuttering issues went away.

CaptNKILL
07-06-05, 02:36 PM
Yeah you are expecting way too much in my opinion. I play at 1280x960 with everything on high (lighting at medium) with 8xAF and no AA. I get very nice framerates but 80fps constant? No way... there isnt a chance in hell that you'll get that all the time. Maybe with 2 7800GTXs but even then, there would probably be dips into the 40s (of course at 1600x1200 with 4xTAA and 16xAF :p)

subbo
07-06-05, 04:40 PM
The ram (1.5GB minimum) helps immensely, as does enabling 256MB of agp aperture (fast writes might help)

But I noticed your card is OCed, which can be a problem with BF2. I noticed the other day that the game runs noticeably better with DEFAULT clock speeds than the speeds the automatic overclocking in the nividia driver gives, apparently due to the shaders being so optimized they dig up trouble if you oc too much (even if the numbers dont cause problems in other stressful games like doom3 or riddick). I'm running default clocks now and BF2 runs great.

Also take note that under audio options if you set HIGH and SOFTWARE your CPU will be used for audio, with your audigy 2 you can use HIGH and HARDWARE.

I've got everything on high except texture filtering on medium (=no trilinear) and 2x af and no aa at 1600x1200, and usually the fps is in the 60 region in cluttered areas and occationally goes over 90 and under 30. But imo smooth motion (as in no stuttering due to swapping) is more crucial than high fps with melee-killing jumps and blips.

muaddib
07-06-05, 05:44 PM
You guys are great, thanks for the advices.

After I've applied the 1.01V patch, I finally managed to create my own a account... Entered a 32p game in the UK... gameplay was buttery smooth, except from the first few secs. Everything on high, 4x AA, 100% Terrain!! I really can't explain this, and really don't think it's somehow related to the patch, maybe a little.

Didn't try SP yet, but something tells me it won't be as good.

- How come no one get's 80FPS? HL2 and Doom3 look better... and perform much better! (I guess it's due the heavy load of players, effects, explosions etc. but even at 16 player the FPS isn't top notch).
- I'll try defraging, should help.
- I'll try lowering my clocks, although it sounds bogus to me.

And guess that the era of 2.0gb's has come?

avirox
07-06-05, 06:37 PM
HL2 and Doom 3 are not huge outdoor games nor are they 64 player games (by default). Glad to hear your FPS are better tho! Peace,

BlackCross
07-06-05, 07:03 PM
i have just 1 gig of ram. after reinstalling xp and drivers, i have zero stutter issues. its smooth as glass. i was glad i didnt run out and get 2 gigs of ram.

trinibwoy
07-06-05, 07:04 PM
Try disabling AA in the control panel and set it in game. I've seen several places indicate that BF2 doesn't like control panel AA.

muaddib
07-06-05, 07:12 PM
Thanks again. Every replay is useful here.

First, I installed 1.01v patch. Then I turned off forced AAxAF in the nV CP.. and FPS skyrocketed, at least that's how I feel. That's a useful way to squeeze more FPS.

Second, I did some pagefile tweaks and defragged RAM through SystemMechanic utility.

Now i'm going to defrag the HDD's... tommarow I'm gonna try lower clocks.

Good night