PDA

View Full Version : Vivendi Licenses 'Unreal Engine 3'

SH64
07-06-05, 12:19 PM
1 more company on the UE3 bandwagon. :cool:
Vivendi Universal Games and Epic Games today announced a studio-wide agreement under which VU Games will license Unreal Engine 3 tools and technology for next generation console and PC game development.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=26534&mode=thread&order=0

now what new UE3 powered games to expect from Vivendi ? ;)

Bad_Boy
07-06-05, 12:21 PM
i wonder what valve feels about that. :)

hmmm, how about flatout 2 on UE3 :D

Zelda_fan
07-06-05, 12:29 PM
i wonder what valve feels about that. :)

hmmm, how about flatout 2 on UE3 :D

lol valve is getting owned. But, hey, it's karma. Screw the customers over w/ steam, and it'll bit you in the butt. I think I might have heard of one developer who used the HL2 enigne, but not much more than that.

Bad_Boy
07-06-05, 12:33 PM
yeah i can finally agree with you on something jonk lol.
i think SiN2 and that one vampire rpg are the only games i can think of. (besides the hl2 mods) i hated steam.

i wonder what titles VUG has in mind for this new engine.

Mudcrutch
07-06-05, 12:39 PM
i think this entire source HDR push from valve is an attempt to show gaming studios what source can do. there was probably an underwhelming response to the engine from developers and valve was like uh-oh.. better whip something out quick..

Namrok
07-06-05, 01:03 PM
lol valve is getting owned. But, hey, it's karma. Screw the customers over w/ steam, and it'll bit you in the butt. I think I might have heard of one developer who used the HL2 enigne, but not much more than that.

It could also just be that Unreal Engine in all its iterations has had great success being licensed. I mean just starting with the original Unreal Engine, it and it's company have a history, and a favorable one at that. I can't think of a single bad game that has come out using the Unreal Engine engine. I mean I can think of mediocre ones, but nothing outright BAD. And while this is more a credit to the people who licensed the engine than the engine itself, it still creates a favorable impression.

Source has had HL2 which is great and all, but the game has had several technical hitches, and retains a few to this day. And Vampire: Bloodlines... which was a buggy mess, though that can probably be blamed squarly on Troika. Even so, it does not leave a good impression.

Plus UE3 is just years ahead of everything else, and aimed at next gen hardware and consoles. You want a game which will use all the bells and whistles of emerging hardware (multi-threaded, PPU, etc) UE3 is the ONLY choice right now.

oldsk00l
07-06-05, 01:05 PM
How about Vivendi announce the liquidation of the entire corporation and immediate close of business.

That'd be some news I'd be happy to read about.

Acid Rain
07-06-05, 01:27 PM
i wonder what valve feels about that. :) Oh, I'm sure they'll get over it. Isn't their new game, "Assraper IV" releasing this month?

Zelda_fan
07-06-05, 01:36 PM
The thing is HL2 was a great game, no question, but I really wasn't all that impressed with the engine. It handeled distance clipping very poorly IMHO. I feel that both the CryEngine and the Doom3 engine are better in that regard. The hitboxes were just an outdated idea. Physics where good, but that was more a function of the HL2 level designers not the engine. I mean, anyone can throw in a Havok engine these days.

Mudcrutch
07-06-05, 01:58 PM
I mean, anyone can throw in a Havok engine these days.

i respectively disagree. i think valves use and tweaking of the havok engine was amazing. i think we take it for granted now because we are so used to seeing it. (in garrys mod, etc)

Zelda_fan
07-06-05, 02:13 PM
i respectively disagree. i think valves use and tweaking of the havok engine was amazing. i think we take it for granted now because we are so used to seeing it. (in garrys mod, etc)

I'm just saying, basically every game and it's mom these days has a physics engine implemented into it. Valve designed some damn good levels to go with it's physics engine, but I mean it was just Havok, the exact same that will be used in Oblivion as well as countless other games.

killahsin
07-06-05, 07:37 PM
I'm just saying, basically every game and it's mom these days has a physics engine implemented into it. Valve designed some damn good levels to go with it's physics engine, but I mean it was just Havok, the exact same that will be used in Oblivion as well as countless other games.

having a physics engine and having a fully intergrated physics engine within the editor are two very different things. And its not just havok, its the foundation for what made havok havok 2.0. Valve didnt just liscense havok they helped design havok 2.0. Karma is horrible to use compared to how valve implemented havok into hammer. As for the distance clipping, those are just default settings which respectfully can be changed. You could make everything never 'clip' if you wished. Objects never fade etc etc. but boy you better have alot of ram. lol

Ruined
07-06-05, 07:52 PM
:clap: always a pleasure to see Valve, Source, and/or Steam getting owned. :beer:

killahsin
07-06-05, 08:06 PM
Your happy to see a publisher whom is notorious for stealing its developers IP, liscense the u3 engine...lol. Because somehow you believe that this is going to hurt valve lol. How truly funny the gaming community has become when they want less power given to developers and more power given to publishers, who arent gamers and don't give a hoot about you or the games they create. Quite a paradox if you ask me. Great engine doesn't make great game. Vivendi is notorious for underfunding developers. Look at world of warcraft. Great game, great developer, lack of commitment by the publisher to support the community. So as much as this is good news for epic, it doesn't mean much of anything to valve. Also please understand that u3 is a middleware engine for all 3 platforms now, and has appropriate liscense costs. There are going to be a ton more aggreements after this one. And in the end of the day you'll still only have 4 major developers that are independant. id valve epic and 3dr.

Ruined
07-06-05, 08:22 PM
Your happy to see a publisher whom is notorious for stealing its developers IP, liscense the u3 engine...lol. Because somehow you believe that this is going to hurt valve lol. How truly funny the gaming community has become when they want less power given to developers and more power given to publishers, who arent gamers and don't give a hoot about you or the games they create. Quite a paradox if you ask me. Great engine doesn't make great game. Vivendi is notorious for underfunding developers. Look at world of warcraft. Great game, great developer, lack of commitment by the publisher to support the community. So as much as this is good news for epic, it doesn't mean much of anything to valve. Also please understand that u3 is a middleware engine for all 3 platforms now, and has appropriate liscense costs. There are going to be a ton more aggreements after this one. And in the end of the day you'll still only have 4 major developers that are independant. id valve epic and 3dr.

VU games might not support the community, but at least they don't crap on it like Valve does.

killahsin
07-06-05, 08:38 PM
Ruined how can you say that? They have under financed developers stolen developers IP in order to swallow developers whole. If that isn't crapping on gamers I don't know what is. Shorting your dev teams into releasing unfinished products isn't crapping on gamers?

oldsk00l
07-06-05, 08:56 PM
I hate VU ever since the Dynamix fiasco, since ruining virtually every franchise that they bought, for RUINING Sierra, and for screwing up the support for games that I had purchased under the Sierra name.

They suck, they suck the freaking BIG one and I hate their asses. I want VU to just fold up and go away. The best way to accomplish that is by NOT buying any of their CRAP. Any future releases coming from Valve are included.

betterdan
07-06-05, 09:40 PM
The best way to accomplish that is by NOT buying any of their CRAP. Any future releases coming from Valve are included.
I will agree to obey you if you agree to massage my left buttock.

killahsin
07-06-05, 10:25 PM
I hate VU ever since the Dynamix fiasco, since ruining virtually every franchise that they bought, for RUINING Sierra, and for screwing up the support for games that I had purchased under the Sierra name.

They suck, they suck the freaking BIG one and I hate their asses. I want VU to just fold up and go away. The best way to accomplish that is by NOT buying any of their CRAP. Any future releases coming from Valve are included.

hehe well vug isnt valves publisher anymore. they tried to swallow valve like they swallowed dynamix and blizzard and radical. Thank god valve saw the way publishers were heading and restructured their contract long ago.

msxyz
07-07-05, 01:24 AM
I hate VU ever since the Dynamix fiasco, since ruining virtually every franchise that they bought, for RUINING Sierra, and for screwing up the support for games that I had purchased under the Sierra name.What about EA ? How many studios they caused to close once assimilated ? (Origin being the most famous)

oldsk00l
07-07-05, 10:58 AM
What about EA ? How many studios they caused to close once assimilated ? (Origin being the most famous)

EA I have FAR more disdain, vitrol, and hatred for than VU.

I hate EA probably 3 times as much as I hate VU. Why, oh why, couldn't the EA HQ catch fire and burn to the ground?

The news of such calamity befalling EA would be sweet sweet sounds of music to my ears, and my day would be filled with elation.

betterdan
07-07-05, 04:06 PM
The news of such calamity befalling EA would be sweet sweet sounds of music to my ears, and my day would be filled with elation.
This news could happen if you massage both of my buttocks. :naughty: