PDA

View Full Version : A8n SLI Premium and XP90c

freakweasel
07-06-05, 07:31 PM
Does the XP90C work with the asus a8n sli premium? by looking at the picture it seems it may not fit because of that heatsink by the cpu. I have no idea though. Just bought a bunch of goodies today and am hoping they all work properly together.

Thanks

BrianG
07-06-05, 07:59 PM
Keep in mind that you can flip the XP90s around. Mine hangs over the memory slots.

http://www.nvnews.net/articles/quietsli/images/tr2.jpg

You should be able to do the same...

keith33
07-06-05, 08:07 PM
Thermalright says even the XP120 fits with the board so I wouldn't worry. By the way, I'm getting my Premium tomorrow, do you have a floppy drive? Because I want to ditch mine but I heard you need it for new BIOS flashes.

Am_I_Evil
07-06-05, 08:39 PM
i know the 120 has some problems with certain boards, but has there been a board that the 90 didn't fit on??

because i know they pretty much made it as compatible as possible....

freakweasel
07-06-05, 09:18 PM
The xp90 doesnt fit very well on my msi, i just hate having the heatsink hanging over the memory, thats why i was curious if it could go over the heatsink in the back.

-=DVS=-
07-06-05, 09:38 PM
Got both fits without a problem. Mine is faceing away from memory slots.

Am_I_Evil
07-06-05, 10:13 PM
i just hate having the heatsink hanging over the memory

mind if i ask why?

personally i love it hanging like that on my MSI...helps too cool the RAM during overclocking....

freakweasel
07-07-05, 12:31 AM
i have a 120mm fan attached to my case to help cool the memory. I pull out the memory fairly often so having the heatsink in the way is no good.

1337_Like_ThaT
07-07-05, 12:33 AM
I'm sure newer revisions of that heatsink (if any have been made) should **** any motherboard now, otherwise it should fit just fine, the xp-120 is the only one you should worry about. Good choice regardless going with Thermalright :)

BrianG
07-07-05, 06:21 AM
i have a 120mm fan attached to my case to help cool the memory. I pull out the memory fairly often so having the heatsink in the way is no good.
You can pull the memory out despite the XP90 hanging over slot 1. To remove, uset eh clamps to loosen and they come right out. To install, it is easy to insert the upper corner, get the clamp to lock, and then snap down the other end. It's easy.

freakweasel
07-07-05, 09:33 AM
Really? I thought you couldnt get it out so i never even tried. Thanks for letting me know, i might give that a try.

Am_I_Evil
07-07-05, 04:28 PM
Really? I thought you couldnt get it out so i never even tried. Thanks for letting me know, i might give that a try.

yeah...guess i could have mentioned that...

i have no problem getting my memory in or out with the XP-90 hanging over it...

LBJM
07-07-05, 08:31 PM
I have a xp-120 on my board I just switched out my ram for 2 dimms instead of 4 dimms. I didn't have to take off the xp-120 to switch out the ram either.

here's a pic with it in the system with the 4 dimms.