PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 7800 and new AMD Dual Cores

JamieS
07-07-05, 12:14 AM
Hi there-

I recently built a new single card Geforce 7800 system with an AMD dual core processor (specs below) and had a question.

I've heard rumors that the 80 series of the ForceWare drivers would better utilize dual core processors for a big performance boost? I've already seen incredible performance already, but was excited at the prospect of another boost with upcoming drivers. Right now I'm getting 3D Mark 05 scores around 8500.

I was curious if anyone could confirm or deny the possibility of a driver better utilizing dual cores?

And feel free to ask me anything about my rig, I kinda feel like I'm beta tester for nVidia, Shuttle and AMD with all this new hardware.

Thanks in advance,
JamieS

Specs
Shuttle SN25P (BIOS: O)
AMD Althon 64 X2 4400
2 gb Crucial DDR 400 SDRAM
nVidia Geforce 7800 GTX video card (BFG) (it fits (http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.aspx?catid=43&threadid=79389&enterthread=y) )
160gb Hitachi UltraATA2 disk drive
NEC 8x DVDR-DL
ViewSonic 19" VP191b

-=DVS=-
07-07-05, 12:31 AM
Wow you got X2 and 7800 in a shuttle what PSU did it came with ? where did you buy it , is it stable ? how are temperatures ? :D thats looks like ultimate Lan PC :drooling:
Oh and yeah official 80s series should bring some kind of improvements for multithreaded CPUs in general.
Just read your link , looks like you needed some minor moding to fit the beast :D

JamieS
07-07-05, 01:28 AM
Wow you got X2 and 7800 in a shuttle what PSU did it came with ? where did you buy it , is it stable ? how are temperatures ? :D thats looks like ultimate Lan PC :drooling:
:D

Thanks! I'm very happy with it. Power supply is a 350 W, which might be cutting it a little close, but so far I haven't noticed any issues/slowdowns. Purchased everything from Newegg.

It's been pretty stable- I've had some issues but have found driver updates, BIOS updates and other tweaks to resolve most of them. I'm guessing as this setup becomes a little more common that drivers/software will become more compatible. One issue I have is with overclocking my 7800, some games I'll notice some artifacts appearing, but they will always disappear after a reboot and restart of the game.

A second issue was regards to freeze caused by poor SATA cables, and I found over at the SFFTech forums that many other users had similar problems that were solved by replacing the SATA cable (which I did and fixed that problem).

Temps for the most part are very good for Shuttle:
CPU: 27c-30c idle
CPU: 45c max gaming
Vid: 54c idle
VId: 75c gaming

killahsin
07-07-05, 01:37 AM
Well from what i understand future drivers from nvidia will become multithreaded. As for when it will happen or if the betas have it yet. i can't answer that.

macatak
07-07-05, 01:37 AM
For what it's worth http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24334

:)

j0j081
07-07-05, 10:02 AM
the reason your artifacts are disappearing after you restart the game and/or computer is the card has cooled back down. it really means you are ocing too far.

Lfctony
07-07-05, 10:08 AM
That would be correct, you should lower your oveclocked speeds or you'll damage your card.

jAkUp
07-07-05, 10:14 AM
Mod a 120mm fan into the side :p Everything could be cooled with a single fan... :)

OWA
07-07-05, 11:40 AM
I didn't notice any difference in 3DMark05 with the beta 80.xx drivers but that was the only thing I checked. So, I'm guessing the multithreaded changes aren't there yet unless maybe it would show up if I tried them with actual games instead of a synthetic benchmark.

zoomy942
07-07-05, 11:45 AM
Mod a 120mm fan into the side :p Everything could be cooled with a single fan... :)

yup... less is more.

hazindu
07-07-05, 11:46 AM
Rumor has it that the 'multithreaded drivers' will merely move the normal cpu usage of the drivers to the second core thus giving nvidia cards slightly bigger bar graphs in time demo benchmarks of single threaded games. Whether or not this is true I can't say for sure, but still I wouldn't expect miracles.

btw, awesome system :drooling:

SsP45
07-07-05, 12:56 PM
Apparently Nvidia drivers do some vertex work on the CPU, so perhaps these new drivers will just put that work on the 2nd CPU so that the primary core can keep the game running as fast as possible.

j0j081
07-07-05, 03:07 PM
Is it possible the new drivers could allocate other processes non-nvidia related to the second cpu and essentially allow the game to have one whole cpu for itself? Probably not but it seems like a nice idea.

JamieS
07-07-05, 03:13 PM
Is it possible the new drivers could allocate other processes non-nvidia related to the second cpu and essentially allow the game to have one whole cpu for itself? Probably not but it seems like a nice idea.

Seems like something on my system is doing that already- I was running a Prime 95 tourture test while playing Battlefield 2 and had no drop in performance in either application. I was very impressed. Granted, this isn't going to be a common to be gaming and running Prime95, but I wanted to see what would happen.

What I'm most interested in seeing if a game or the nVidia driver could use both procs to help improve performance.

For what it's worth- I think the new dual cores are excellent and highly recommed it! I love it and have yet to have a slowdown while running all of my deskop applications at once. I'd rather have dual core 4400 than a single core 5000.