PDA

View Full Version : UT2K4 unplayable with drivers past 66.93

siorai
07-07-05, 11:20 AM
I've found that if I try to play UT2K4 with drivers past 66.93, I will eventually get massive corruption in all the 3D elements. Most times it will leave the 2D parts alone, but sometimes, those are gone too. It kindof looks like my card is overheating insanely, but this only happens in UT2K4. I can play BF2 for hours without an issue, but UT2K4 will be toast sometimes by simply going into the options and hitting the back button. My main problem is that to play BF2 properly, I need to be running the latest drivers.. So it becomes an issue of which game do I want to play more and have those drivers installed.. :(

Is this a known issue or am I the lucky one?

$n][pErMan
07-07-05, 03:53 PM
I have not played UT2004 much sense I got the 77.30 drivers (which are higher than 66.93's obviously) because i've been playing BF2... but the short times I have played UT2k4... I have not noticed anything like you speak of. If I ever run into it... I will certainly post it here. :)

Gnu_Raiz
07-07-05, 05:36 PM
I see you have a 6800 oc, I am using a 6600 gt, with the 77.72 drivers and I have no problems with UT2004. Everything works fine, this is with switching from a 5600 ultra as well, did not even touch the drivers. Just swapped the cards, and rebooted, then set the settings I wanted in the games I have.

When was the last time you did a fresh install, or a fresh image install, I just switched form one socket A board, to another because of low +5 voltage, which fried a stick of memory. So this install is pretty fresh, the only problem I had was with the gama, in dvd playback, but was fixed as described in the other threads on the 77.72 drivers.

I think maybe you need to consider a fresh install, or some other window software problem.

Gnu_Raiz

siorai
07-07-05, 08:07 PM
Oddly enough, this is just after a fresh install. It was happening before too, hence the reinstall. I had only installed XP, chipset drivers, DirectX video drivers, sound drivers, and UT2K4 and it is still doing it. :(

Saibot
07-07-05, 08:52 PM
I play UT2K4 every single day with 71.89 and have absolutely no problems (yeah I'm addicted). I ran with the 77.72's for a while but rolled back because of the stupid video overlay bug. The newer drivers worked fine with Unreal for me though.

Gnu_Raiz
07-08-05, 08:30 AM
I had only installed XP, chipset drivers, DirectX video drivers, sound drivers, and UT2K4 and it is still doing it. :(

I would start looking at a hardware problem, I would run memtest 86+, If your overclocking I would run at normal speeds to rule that out. After all that I would run the DX tests to make sure that was working as well. Might as well defrag your hard drives as well, just to be safe. Then if it was still doing it I would switch video cards to a backup one, then I would RMA the card if its still under warranty.

Gnu_Raiz

j0j081
07-08-05, 12:33 PM
I would start looking at a hardware problem, I would run memtest 86+, If your overclocking I would run at normal speeds to rule that out. After all that I would run the DX tests to make sure that was working as well. Might as well defrag your hard drives as well, just to be safe. Then if it was still doing it I would switch video cards to a backup one, then I would RMA the card if its still under warranty.

Gnu_Raiz
I don't think he should RMA the card if every other game he tries works flawlessly.

siorai
07-09-05, 02:24 AM
Well now it gets pretty weird. I had the 66.93s installed and just installed the 77.72s overtop on a whim. I normally do not do this. I'll always uninstall the previous version of drivers before installing a new set. UT2K4 runs perfectly now... :confused: I'm not going to question it though. I'm just going to play. :D

StoNer
07-09-05, 06:13 PM
no corruption or anything on the 76.41s dono what the problem is man but i hope u get it fixed

$n][pErMan
07-10-05, 12:19 PM
Just played UT2k4 yesterday for about 2 hours stright and had 0 problems ... using the 77.30 set.

Viventis
07-10-05, 12:21 PM
Just remember that all of the UT games have always been very sensitive to overclocked systems. Try setting everything to spec and see if you still get the corruption.