PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of 7800GTX SLI

SsP45
07-07-05, 10:29 PM
I've already got a single BFG 7800GTX, but I'm thinking of getting a 2nd and putting them in SLI. How CPU-bound will I be with my A64 3000+ @ 2.7Ghz? Would it be worth it at all to go SLI (mainly for BF2 at this point), or will my CPU hold me back a lot?

ChrisRay
07-07-05, 10:30 PM
Very CPU bound at even resolutions of 1600x1200. But it will depend upon game.

BrianG
07-07-05, 10:40 PM
I would go CPU first. Get a second 7800GTX when prices drop a bit.

SsP45
07-07-05, 10:50 PM
Perhaps I'll pick up the 4400+ X2 I've wanted to get then. Try and OC it to 2.6Ghz or so.

wheeljack12
07-07-05, 10:54 PM
isn't your motherboard the one with the ability of fitting the 7800 gtx into your system. I am not sure if it's one or two cards, but one of them can't fit because of a capacitor getting in the way.

ChrisRay
07-07-05, 11:01 PM
I would go CPU first. Get a second 7800GTX when prices drop a bit.

I doubt he's gonna get that much faster single threaded performance than an Athlon 64 @ 2.7 Ghz...

SsP45
07-07-05, 11:01 PM
isn't your motherboard the one with the ability of fitting the 7800 gtx into your system. I am not sure if it's one or two cards, but one of them can't fit because of a capacitor getting in the way.

I read up on it - it's possible to bend the capacitor out of the way and fit the card in.

SsP45
07-07-05, 11:03 PM
I doubt he's gonna get that much faster single threaded performance than an Athlon 64 @ 2.7 Ghz...

That's my problem. I'd need an FX-57 to see much of an improvement in single-threaded applications - there's no way I'll spend $1200 CDN on a CPU that won't give me dual-core.

ChrisRay
07-07-05, 11:04 PM
Thats not a problem. I'm simply pointing out you'll be CPU limited even on a Dual Core when single threaded performance is the bottleneck. Just because you are CPU limited now doesnt mean you will be in the future when better games come out that push pixel processing capabilities further.

SsP45
07-07-05, 11:07 PM
Thats not a problem. I'm simply pointing out you'll be CPU limited even on a Dual Core when single threaded performance is the bottleneck. Just because you are CPU limited now doesnt mean you will be in the future when better games come out that push pixel processing capabilities further.

I just don't want to plunk down the cash for another 7800GTX if I won't see much of an improvement, that's what I mean.

With your 2.4Ghz CPU, did you notice much of an improvement going SLI?

jAkUp
07-08-05, 02:06 AM
It really depends on the game. For newer games at 1600x1200 you won't be exactly CPU limited. You have almost the same setup as me.

BrianG
07-08-05, 07:41 AM
I'm talking about more than just gaming, though. The computer will be more enjoyable to use with a faster processor.

Going from a 3200+ to this 4800+ is night and day. Dual core is just so freaking smooth. I do things I never would have done with the 3200+. I leave apps when I start Doom3, rip CDs while playing Q3A bot matches, etc. Good times.

ChrisRay
07-08-05, 08:24 AM
I'm talking about more than just gaming, though. The computer will be more enjoyable to use with a faster processor.

Going from a 3200+ to this 4800+ is night and day. Dual core is just so freaking smooth. I do things I never would have done with the 3200+. I leave apps when I start Doom3, rip CDs while playing Q3A bot matches, etc. Good times.

But thats still not gonna improve his performance in a way thats relevant to his question. He's asking if getting a second graphic card will be worth it. Adding a Dual Core CPU will not alleviate any CPU bottlenecks he might experience with an SLI setup.

BrianG
07-08-05, 10:00 AM
But thats still not gonna improve his performance in a way thats relevant to his question. He's asking if getting a second graphic card will be worth it. Adding a Dual Core CPU will not alleviate any CPU bottlenecks he might experience with an SLI setup.
That's kind of the problem, right? He is CPU bound no matter what right now. 3000+<7800GTX. I'm just saying if you have the money to spend, I (me myself and I) would upgrade the CPU and fast add memory right now over getting a second 7800GTX. If, big if, the rumors about a multi-threaded driver from NVIDIA will be released, the CPU bottleneck will be alleviated on the dual cores and should balance nicely with the 7800GTX when gaming.

I took his original post to be asking if a second card would get him any performance. He is fairly CPU bound with one 7800GTX. If you have the coin to buy a second 7800GTX, I am saying that money should be spent elsewhere in his system before adding a second card. The side effect is that the overall, not just gaming, experience is improved with a faster CPU, dual core or not, but especially with a dual core. :D

I spent the last few months finishing out my system upgrade for this round of system chipets. I am a 7800GTX away from full on godbox status right now. SLI would be nice, but I know it is not entirely necessary on my current monitor with a native res of 1280x1024. Sooo, my path is GTX, then widescreen monitor and then a second GTX to run full tilt AA at 1680x1050 or 1900x1200. Knowaddimsayin? :afro:

Hmm, I wonder when the 7800GT will hit... (popcorn)

thanosAIAS
07-08-05, 10:04 AM
I have had a similar dilemma. Here are my thoughts:

1) I have a 19" LCD monitor, which means that the maximum settings for me are 1280x1024 x4AA x16AF.

2) At that resolution everything is practically ok using a single 7800gtx and the only way to improve visual quality (what I see) is use x8AA. It really makes a difference but SLI won't give much improvement using x8AA. Practically there is no difference. They say they will introduce a new x16AA mode later using SLI (driver update), but let it come first and we will see.

3) HDR is accelerated using 7800GTX SLI (6xxx series SLI and single differences are minimal) but not enough.

4) You will be bound at 256MB RAM (Using SLI doesn't double the GPUs memory). Newer games will require 512MB RAM. (Doom3 ultra requires 512MB GPU memory).

5) ATI will be significantly faster and have 512MB RAM (R520). nVIDIA will respond to that. The new cards (both nVidia and ATI) will cost as much as a second 7800GTX costs today and thatís a couple of months away.

So i decided to keep a Single 7800GTX and upgrade to a 512MB nVidia or ATI GPU in a few months with 32pipelines and over 600MHz GPU frequency. And do believe me ...it was a difficult decision to make :)

Come to think about it i only purchased the 7800GTX to replay my game collection using Transparency AA (IT ROCKS!!!!) and smother frame rates.

SsP45
07-08-05, 02:27 PM
Doom 3 at Ultra settings runs fine with 256MB of video memory.

Thanks everyone who's responded, I think my next upgrade will be an A64 4400+ X2. I won't see any real improvement in games, but Windows performance is important too. With this 3000+ Windows does get sluggish with lots running. I run dual monitors, so I often have lots of junk running in the background that bogs me down quite a bit.

BrianG
07-08-05, 02:48 PM

Thanks everyone who's responded, I think my next upgrade will be an A64 4400+ X2. I won't see any real improvement in games, but Windows performance is important too. With this 3000+ Windows does get sluggish with lots running. I run dual monitors, so I often have lots of junk running in the background that bogs me down quite a bit.
You'll love the dual core...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12212

ChrisRay
07-08-05, 07:10 PM
That's kind of the problem, right? He is CPU bound no matter what right now. 3000+<7800GTX. I'm just saying if you have the money to spend, I (me myself and I) would upgrade the CPU and fast add memory right now over getting a second 7800GTX. If, big if, the rumors about a multi-threaded driver from NVIDIA will be released, the CPU bottleneck will be alleviated on the dual cores and should balance nicely with the 7800GTX when gaming.

I took his original post to be asking if a second card would get him any performance. He is fairly CPU bound with one 7800GTX. If you have the coin to buy a second 7800GTX, I am saying that money should be spent elsewhere in his system before adding a second card. The side effect is that the overall, not just gaming, experience is improved with a faster CPU, dual core or not, but especially with a dual core. :D

I spent the last few months finishing out my system upgrade for this round of system chipets. I am a 7800GTX away from full on godbox status right now. SLI would be nice, but I know it is not entirely necessary on my current monitor with a native res of 1280x1024. Sooo, my path is GTX, then widescreen monitor and then a second GTX to run full tilt AA at 1680x1050 or 1900x1200. Knowaddimsayin? :afro:

Hmm, I wonder when the 7800GT will hit... (popcorn)

Well. I'm gonna have to disagree he's very CPU bound with a single 7800GTX, At least not in Far Cry/Doom3/SplinterCell/Everquest 2((EQ2 varied title for GPU/CPU bottlenecks) Adding a second GPU will increase his performance in said titles. But he will probably not see full potential of the SLI setup due to being CPU bound.

thanosAIAS
07-09-05, 01:34 PM

Just becouse you can hack the option and enable it, doesn't mean you've actually enabled it. You're still using compression, right?

jAkUp
07-09-05, 02:14 PM

Doom3 on Ultra uses over 256mb of video memory, so that means it hitting your system ram. Since you have over 1gb of memory, it runs ok for you, but still not optimally. A 512mb video card will run better.

SsP45
07-09-05, 04:29 PM
Doom3 on Ultra uses over 256mb of video memory, so that means it hitting your system ram. Since you have over 1gb of memory, it runs ok for you, but still not optimally. A 512mb video card will run better.

That's true, although I don't like Doom 3 so I don't play it anyway, lol.

Eltigre88
07-09-05, 05:19 PM
You'll love the dual core...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12212

QUAKE 3 ROCKS!

Hey I'm getting some hesitation with Doom 3 maxed out on settings. Do I need more system memory? When I had the AGP 6800 Ultra card I had no issues ran perfect. Maybe because I could max my apeture out in bios. With this new PCI express card I have no clue what to set my settings at in Bios. Some help here would be great. I'm starting to think I should have got the Ultra card this time too, but I don't really see that much difference in the 2 except a little faster core and memory. What do you guys think?

Picture is of bios settings I can screw with.