PDA

View Full Version : My computer randomly boots to nothing!

v3rninate
07-08-05, 05:26 AM
Out of the clear blue sky my computer (after almost a year) of working awesome has decided to randomly boot to NO video, keyboard, mouse.

I have absolutely no idea what has caused this, there is no viral, software connection/change that I did right before this started happening. I've done everything from pulling everything appart and re-seating the processor

This problem happened about 3 days ago, when I booted to the above mentioned. I changed absolutely nothing software/bios wise on my computer. Was doing just gaming (WoW) and web surfin.

My system = my sig except my video card is NOT overclocked at all, bone stock!

$n][pErMan
07-08-05, 12:22 PM
wait ... so it just turns on and sits there? If so.... this has happened to me only 2 times. Once, my Ge2 fried... and another time I was messing with my memory timings and set it to something that it did not like. If I were you, I would reset the cmos with the JP5 (ussually called that) jumper. At least that way you can rule out a bios setting issue.
*added note!!!*When I think about it.. this happened again about month ago on my linux computer for what seemed to be no reason and reseting the cmos with the jumper fixed it because somehow the settings got messed up even though I had not touched the bios in ages.

v3rninate
07-08-05, 02:51 PM
Actually I've tried that...cmos reseting doesn't do anything other than reset the bios. This morning I think I just learned something, it seems that if I let my computer sit for a long period of time and then boot it up. It boots up fine, last night after a long time of it just sitting, I booted it up fine. And today did the same thing, let it sit over-night, and now it booted up fine.

I wonder if that proves that maybe a chip on the mobo is going out?...Things like this are leading me to believe my motherboard is going out?

Anyone else have suggestions?

$n][pErMan
07-08-05, 05:33 PM
Actually I've tried that...cmos reseting doesn't do anything other than reset the bios. This morning I think I just learned something, it seems that if I let my computer sit for a long period of time and then boot it up. It boots up fine, last night after a long time of it just sitting, I booted it up fine. And today did the same thing, let it sit over-night, and now it booted up fine.

I wonder if that proves that maybe a chip on the mobo is going out?...Things like this are leading me to believe my motherboard is going out?

Anyone else have suggestions?
Sounds like a heat issuse or something (cause as its off all night it can fully cool down).... only thing I can think of that does that.