PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry HDR SLI in AFR? and HL2 HDR? (7800)

Zurble
07-08-05, 02:35 PM
Far Cry uses SFR and i heard it performs better then AFR, but with HDR it seems that SLI doesn't give any boost over single card (in default SFR).
Did someone tried to force AFR to see if it performs better?

What will HL2 use (AFR/SFR) ? can i be optimistic about it's HDR mode (like splinter cell which runs AFR)?

i am planning to by a second 7800 GTX only for HDR (a single card performs already nicely in 1600 AA AF)

A8N SLI deluxe
7800 GTX @480/1330
AMD64 Venice 3000+@4100+
1.5 GB RAM
2x160 RAID0

Thanks

DoomUK
07-08-05, 04:59 PM
Questions to a question:-

1) What are AFR and SFR?

2) I've always had trouble with enabling High Dynamic Range lighting in Far Cry on both my 6800 GT and 7800 GTX. Do you have to create an autoexec.cfg or somthing similar, and enter the command from there? :confused:

Zurble
07-08-05, 05:01 PM
Split frame/Alternate frame rendering modes in SLI
i just use r_HDRRendering in console

DoomUK
07-08-05, 05:11 PM
Split frame/Alternate frame rendering modes in SLI

By split frame/alt frame I assume you mean two ways in which each GPU handles each frame; i.e either 'half a frame' simultaniously (i.e each GPU handles on half of the screen horizontally), or one frame at a time; i.e each GPU is entirely responsible for an alternate frame... right? (just bash me over the head if I misunderstand)...

i just use r_HDRRendering in console

Never worked properly for me. All I see is a severely messed up image: outdoor areas visible through solid geometory, lighting messed up etc...

Zurble
07-08-05, 05:17 PM
it mess up for me on resolution higher then 1152x864
i have colored halos appearing randomly from the border of the screen, that's why i stay 1152.

i heard it is a known issue, hope they will correct this.

another issue is that HDR doesn't work at all with AA.
that's why u get thoose clipping issues

Darkoz
07-08-05, 07:20 PM
Never worked properly for me. All I see is a severely messed up image: outdoor areas visible through solid geometory, lighting messed up etc...

Turn off anti aliasing, FarCry HDR will not work with AA enabled.

ChrisRay
07-08-05, 08:02 PM
You might try the 3dmark03 profile for Far Cry with HDR. See if it gives any tangible speed improvements. I havent tested it myself as I know HDR works well with it though.

Zurble
07-08-05, 08:24 PM
There is a way to create your own profile, and probably to change existing profiles:
http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_appprofile.html

I see plenty of reviews on SLI and the 'no gain' in far cry for HDR, but none bothered to try AFR instead of SFR like for splinter cell where gains are at least 50% with AFR HDR

it would give me an idea if SLI can be usefull for future HDR use (unreal 3, HL2 lost coast, ....)

HDR seems to be GFX work, thus should benefit greatly from SLI, why isn't this the case in far cry (SFR?, far cry code?)

ChrisRay
07-08-05, 09:05 PM
There is a way to create your own profile, and probably to change existing profiles:
http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_appprofile.html

I see plenty of reviews on SLI and the 'no gain' in far cry for HDR, but none bothered to try AFR instead of SFR like for splinter cell where gains are at least 50% with AFR HDR

it would give me an idea if SLI can be usefull for future HDR use (unreal 3, HL2 lost coast, ....)

HDR seems to be GFX work, thus should benefit greatly from SLI, why isn't this the case in far cry (SFR?, far cry code?)

SFR simply is not compatible with HDR due to its excessive use of post processing effects. SFR and post processing effects are a no go.

Zurble
07-09-05, 07:10 AM
so i can guess that far cry will perform better in AFR, and other HDR game would too.
what issue could be raised using AFR in far cry instead of SFR, in HDR and non HDR mode?

ChrisRay
07-09-05, 07:39 AM
Far Cry doesnt work well with AFR though, theres a reason it defaults to SFR.

JimBobb
07-09-05, 07:43 AM
That is false!! FARCRY works great with AFR Mode and its faster!

Check this:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51734

ChrisRay
07-09-05, 08:16 AM
That is false!! FARCRY works great with AFR Mode and its faster!

Check this:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51734

I'm talking about normal rendering mode. Not HDR. Please read what I am saying. . HDR is an unofficial/unsupported rendering mode. Again there is a reason Far Cry defaults to SFR for normal operation.

Chris