PDA

View Full Version : 6800GT + 8AA + GTA:SA = System Shut Down... probabley NOT PSU related...

TB303
07-08-05, 09:24 PM
Hi People,
I recieved my first Nvidia card a few days ago,
an Inno3D 6800 GT one.

So far I'm happy with it, and did NOT over clock it.

I did notice a wierd thing,
When playing GTA:SA with 8AA/16AF (set in the drivers) after a few minutes the system would just shut down - won't crash or freeze, just shut down.
I can boot it normally afterwards and if I continue playing with these AA setting it will shut down again.

If however,
I play the game with other AA set from within the game (set to 3 - I still thinks it looks far worse than with AA from the drivers) - I can play for hours without interuption...

I know it sounds like a PSU issue, but I have a 550W one, and I can't believe GTA:SA taxes the card more than HL2/D3... which worked fine...

BTW,
I'm using the latest official drivers - 77.72, and AGP is set to full, I got 5K in 3Dmark2K5.

PS
I don't mean to Troll, but when I had an ATI card, every time I'd play a game with TWMTBP logo, I would think that people with Nvidia have it better...

Please advise,
many thanks.

StoNer
07-09-05, 06:04 AM
crashes my system too on 8xSAA and 16xAF

but on a 6800GT i wouldnt expect to get any performance at those settings anyway, i just play it on 4xAA 8xAF.

Its a console port so thats probably part of the reason it screws up with such high effects on

TB303
07-09-05, 07:56 AM
Cool avatar dude... ;-))

I don't get it...
If GTA:SA runs perfectly fine with 4aa/16AF why does it have t crash so violently when you increase to 8AA... esecially as the performance with those settings while it still runs is great, and so is the visual quality.

May it is a Driver issue?

Any one else "tried this at home"?

Thanks.

Zelda_fan
07-09-05, 08:00 AM
could be overheating. Check the temps like 1 mintue in game.

TB303
07-09-05, 08:28 AM
How do I do this? (in game)?
Just log out and check the driver? it is set up to shut down at 120C but after hours of playing HL2/D3 it merely get's to 77C.

If you can provide some more details that would be great...

Tr1cK
07-09-05, 08:45 AM
Well you cant check the true temp of your card using the control panel unless you have dualview going on with the temp monitor on the 2nd screen.

Also, just becuase the PSU is a 550, doesn't necessarily mean its good. Cheaper brand PSUs rated at that would actually be more equivalent to a quality 300 and probably with worse regulation.

edit: Im using the 77.13 set. Just ran for 5+ mins with 8x/16x at 1280. My temps got to 76/45. The only problem I had was the performance SUCKED, but that may be due to the increased draw distance patch I used.

TB303
07-09-05, 09:00 AM
Well you cant check the true temp of your card using the control panel unless you have dualview going on with the temp monitor on the 2nd screen.

Also, just becuase the PSU is a 550, doesn't necessarily mean its good. Cheaper brand PSUs rated at that would actually be more equivalent to a quality 300 and probably with worse regulation.

edit: Im using the 77.13 set. Just ran for 5+ mins with 8x/16x at 1280. My temps got to 76/45. The only problem I had was the performance SUCKED, but that may be due to the increased draw distance patch I used.

I agree that I probably have a ****ty PSU, but I can still play many gams without trouble, and I get a 3Dmark2K5 of 5K - which wouldn't have happend if the card wasn't getting enough juice.

In addition,
Stoner wrote that this "Shut down" happend sto him as well.

So it must be a more game related problem...

Tr1cK
07-09-05, 01:53 PM
How about trying the same driver Im using since it works for me?

TB303
07-09-05, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I'll try your driver,
What version is it?

Also, how should I un-install my current driver? is control panel - remove programs enough or should I use Driver Cleaner?

Sorry to sound like a N00b - but this whole Nvidia thing is new to me... ;-))

Thanks!!

jAkUp
07-09-05, 02:18 PM
yes, wattage is meaningless when it comes to powersupplies. I think it could be your powersupply. Its still possible. What brand is it? How many amps does it do on the +12v rail?

TB303
07-09-05, 03:02 PM
yes, wattage is meaningless when it comes to powersupplies. I think it could be your powersupply. Its still possible. What brand is it? How many amps does it do on the +12v rail?

Mate,

The PSU is a "Q-Tec PSU 550W Dual Fan Gold",
I couldn't find any real voltage figures in the manufacturer's site (suspicious?) - but I found a French review wit the figures here:
http://tinyurl.com/cvp26 -
(it's numbers really so don't worry if you don't read French, niether do I! ;-))

Anyway, If I understand correctly, if has max charge of 14Amp on the +12V, and it is fairly stable at that.

(Try Babelfish.altavista.com on the original link - the translation is very good)

So, Is it enough Juice to power my 6800GT?
I have a +2500XP proccesor, 1GB or ram and two hard drives and one DVDwriter...

Thanks.

StoNer
07-09-05, 06:03 PM
I dono why it crashes with 8xS on but i do know that with my cpu and only one 6800GT i coudlnt run the game for crap on those settings anyway.

I would probably get like 15fps at the most, and i need lots of fps when it comes to killin ballas and takin back my turf homie :D

grove street fo lyfe :cool:

Tr1cK
07-10-05, 10:30 AM
Im using the 77.13 set. 14a 12v might be kinda tight..AXP still draw a chunk of power. I had an Antec with 18a on the 12v and specifically got this PSU becuase I didnt think the Antec could handle the 6800GT.

nvnewbie
07-10-05, 01:21 PM
Same problem here with a PNY but it seems to be temperature related because one of my fan isn't working properly (the one above the card)... try to get well ventilated your system and it might work. this problem seems to happen randomly.

i don't really know. i'll be expecting your replys on this issue.

also i got this same prob with doom 3 linux demo

TB303
07-13-05, 09:46 AM
A quick update,
I've ordered a new PSU (Tagen), it should be here today.

I've had another "shut down" crash, this time while playing a video (.avi) file.
On top of taht If I try and play video with DirectX rendering all the colors are washed out. If I try to do that with OpenGL rendering it looks normal, only upside down... ;-))

I currently play videos with GDI rendering.

(If you are wondering which video player lets you choose those settings, look for VideoLan (www.videolan.net) - the best video player, and OSS to boot!

TB303
08-01-05, 10:43 AM
Hi People,
Another update.

I got the new Tagan PSU - that has 30amp on the +12V rail.
I also recieved my new XFX 6800GT card, and spent hours over the weekend playing GTA:SA with 8AA and without asingle hickup.

So I have to conclude that when it crashes with 8AA it must be a PSU related issue.

PS
Thsi game looks so much better with 8AA!