PDA

View Full Version : BF2 patch roleback to v1.0

rudedog
07-08-05, 09:46 PM
EA wanted me to pass this along to as many sites as possible. They will be annoucing this on the official site soon

Community Update - 7/8/05

HOTFIX for Battlefield 2 v1.01 Coming Soon
First off, a HUGE thanks to all of you who emailed me in regards to the memory leak found in the update we released earlier this week (v1.01). Your emails found their way to our production team and they’re in the process of evaluating what needs to be done in order to get this fixed. In the meantime, and since the 1.01 update is causing memory leakage on some systems, we recommend that you reinstall the game and NOT the v1.01 update we released earlier this week.

Reinstalling Battlefield 2 will not affect your in-game medals or ranked server statistics. EA and DICE are committed to getting a fix for v1.01 as soon as we possibly can and will continue to keep you informed through this web space in the coming days.

[EA]Mike

If you have a file site that is hosting v1.01, I would ask that you remove the file. If you’re hosting the Unranked Server Files for Win32 and Unranked Server Files for Linux (the new ones we made available earlier this week – on Tuesday), I would ask that you remove those as well since the same problem exist in them. As a replacement for the server files, please visit our downloads page and grab the previous versions (see the first 2 files on this page).

http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/downloads.jsp

jAkUp
07-08-05, 10:08 PM
God this sucks :( I havent had any issues with the patch so far though...

Banko
07-08-05, 10:53 PM
God this sucks :( I havent had any issues with the patch so far though...
Hell I think the game just has memory issues and doesn't really require 2gb maybe in a few patches performance would be good.

nVestor
07-08-05, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up rudedog. :thumbsup:

Think we will just hold off till our server host does it before we convert back to v1.0. :)

Mudcrutch
07-08-05, 11:03 PM
F*cking A.

rewt
07-09-05, 04:58 AM
F*cking A.

Translation: EA

I still haven't bought the game yet. I wish more people were like me, then EA would be forced to get on the ball.

rudedog
07-09-05, 05:50 AM
granted I've worked closely with EA on MOHPA(don't even ask about that patch :mad: ) and now BF2.

At first I was pissed but then realized, that this is what we want from a game dev/publisher. Someone to announce there is a problem and take notice. Not the so called rumors about them fixing something but never publicly announced. Believe me it's a change for the good.

Fact is, when they do release the patch, your probably going to need to install it fresh from v1

Now my rant towards EA and the rest of the gaming dev/publishers

Why the hell do you push your devs over the edge when developing a game so upon it's release, they need a much needed vacation. You damn well know, once the community gets the game. It will find all those bugs your great QA department missed. So now we have to wait for them to return while the part time staff tries to pull double duty trying to fix the mistakes.

This is why you pay your staff good $$, let them work reasonable hours and make sure everyone is around 2-3 weeks after the game it's the shelves.

brady
07-09-05, 05:57 AM
the good news is now i can use my nocd .exe again. :D

myshkinbob
07-09-05, 06:36 AM
You don't need the nocd exe, just get the dvd mini-image ~2mb and mount it with the latest daemon tools, then you don't need your dvd in the drive. You get can the image at a site like gamecopyworld. :)

I've rolled back to 1.00 too, never had many issues with it anyway, aside from the laggy server browser, but i can live with that.

LiquidX
07-09-05, 07:34 AM
This indeed does suck. EA should release a patch to uninstall v1.0 or come up with a quick fix to save so many users the hassle of a reinstall. I am going to keep v1.0 until I cant find any servers or another patch comes out. I have the DVD version so a new insatalltion will be a snap but my game before the patch sucked to much.

Mudcrutch
07-09-05, 09:14 AM
question... i havent had any noticable probs with the patch.. can i leave it? or will i need to reinstall anyway eventally?

rudedog
07-09-05, 09:32 AM
It all depends on what your favorite server admin does. If he downgrades to 1.0 then you will not be able to play and you will have to downgrade if you wish to play on his server.

If your favorite server admin sticks with 1.1 then your all set.

The big bug in this patch is related to the memory leak seen by the GSPs, they need to reboot their server every 10/12 hours, where before it was only 24 (come on EA fix these things right the first time)

When a fix is finally released, you may have to install it over a fresh install.

NOTE: when unistalling, you will not loose any stats or rankings. It's also recommended that you keep any profiles or configs (it will ask you if you wish to delete them, I would not)

DaveW
07-09-05, 10:21 AM
I'm keeping the patch as long as I can. I'm not putting the server browser back to the way it was.

They had no problem released the game with tons of bugs in it, but they want to recall 1.01 because of this one bug? I wonder what the real reason is. I bet this particular bug in 1.01 is exploitable in some way.

jAkUp
07-09-05, 10:29 AM
Its because a memory leak is a huge problem.

brady
07-09-05, 11:37 AM
You don't need the nocd exe, just get the dvd mini-image ~2mb and mount it with the latest daemon tools, then you don't need your dvd in the drive. You get can the image at a site like gamecopyworld. :)

I've rolled back to 1.00 too, never had many issues with it anyway, aside from the laggy server browser, but i can live with that.

yeah ive known about the mini images but i favor fixed exe's when they work properly because i dont like mounting and unmounting images.

UDawg
07-09-05, 11:46 AM
For a game I love so much, I really am getting tired of their lack of ability to iron things out.

nVestor
07-09-05, 01:20 PM
For a game I love so much, I really am getting tired of their lack of ability to iron things out.
Granted, and I do agree with ya here UDawg, however EA is notorious for this unfortunitely. I would hope that they might learn from this, but it doesn't seem like they care too much, with regard to QA.

It took forever for them to bring a patch out for MoHAA and Spearhead. Poor guys who got MOH:PA are assed out there as well.

They were pretty quick wrt to BFV though, it was just a bad engine so not much more of an improvement you can really do there. I'd give them a month or two before we see real improvements.

BF2 has a huge following unlike MoH:PA. So the support should be there like it has been for BF42 and BFV. If that is any indication of support from EA, well.. I think we may all have to learn to deal with it or just stop purchasing their games entirely. I doubt the second option will happen. ;)

$n][pErMan
07-09-05, 02:59 PM
IM not rolling back and doing all that work because they cant even program a patch right .. more less the damn game. F*ck em! :mad:

Mudcrutch
07-09-05, 03:08 PM
im keeping the patch although i am a bit pissed. but, nothing makes me smile more than assaulting the enemy base with a full boat!

http://www.mudcrutch.com/upload/bf2_1.jpg

Gaco
07-09-05, 03:57 PM
Heh, great stuff.. Happens pretty god damn infrequent :D