PDA

View Full Version : Block dualview settings

manoweb
07-09-05, 09:47 AM
Hi, we use a nvidia 5700 connected in this way:
vga output -> philips 17" lcd monitor ("operator's" monitor)
dvi output -> dvi2vga converter -> vga splitter -> 4 x philips 17" monitor ("dome's" monitors)

we use this configuration at the local planetarium in Lecco, Italy; the "operator's" monitor is in front of the keyboards and it's used by an operator during a conference and the others, "dome's" monitors are the ones that people can watch to enhance the show on the dome above them.

Anyway, let's talk about the problem
we've setup the "clone" function. The problem is that sometimes the "splitter" is turned off, or we detach a cable, etc, and dualview's configuration gets broken. We would like to find a way to "block" the 'clone' setting and disable any "autoconfig" the drivers could do at boot: even if a monitor is detached the settings should not change. Is it possible? It's frustrating because sometimes the "main" display is moved on the monitors in the center of the room which are 6 meters far away from the keyboard, and it's very difficult for the operator to manage the old config back.

Another, secondary, problem is that when we play a *video* file, only one output actually shows it. Hopefully it's shown on the "dome's" monitors, but it would be cool to have it on the "operator's" monitor also. Any idea? Thank you very much

Alessio Sangalli

Saibot
07-09-05, 02:30 PM
The only thing I can suggest is to get all of your settings the way you want them and then create a new profile. I use profiles all the time to switch between dual and single monitors without having to individually change my backgrounds and other stuff. If your setup gets messed up just reload the profile you created and it should set everything back to normal all at once.
For the video issue you'll need to go to the Full Screen Video options and change the Full Screen Device to either primary or secondary. This will cause any video to automatically be shown full screen on the selected display. Hope this helps.

manoweb
07-09-05, 07:09 PM
Thank you, I will experiment with profiles. For the video part, isn't there any possibility to see the video on BOTH outputs?

Thank you
Alessio Sangalli

Saibot
07-09-05, 08:32 PM
The video will show in both outputs. Let's say you have the secondary display set as the Full Screen Device and open a video clip in a window. On the first display you will see the Windows desktop with your clip in a window, but on the other display the video will be full screen. When the clip is over you must close the window or your secondary display will just remain blank. I don't know any other way of doing it myself and of course this might not be feasible for what you are doing.

rewt
07-10-05, 05:42 AM
For the video part, isn't there any possibility to see the video on BOTH outputs?

Thank you
Alessio Sangalli

Run this .reg file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NVCplShowEnableVMR"=dword:1

Then enable VMR under Video Overlay Settings in the nVidia control panel.

Darkfalz
07-10-05, 08:51 AM
In my experience the DualView only gets enabled if I boot up Windows with both devices connected (CRT and my TV).

I boot without it because I only use the Single Display or Clone functions... DualView can go to hell.

rewt
07-10-05, 10:06 AM
DualView can go to hell.

I love it! Instead of having the same exact thing on two displays I can make each one different. I.E. watch movie on one monitor and browse the web on the other.

Darkfalz
07-10-05, 10:28 AM
I love it! Instead of having the same exact thing on two displays I can make each one different. I.E. watch movie on one monitor and browse the web on the other.

I do that with regular clone.

rewt
07-10-05, 03:15 PM
I do that with regular clone.

I don't get it. How do you do that with regular clone mode without getting the same thing on both displays (two monitors) ?

marqmajere
07-10-05, 08:54 PM
I don't get it. How do you do that with regular clone mode without getting the same thing on both displays (two monitors) ?

I would like to know as well. I'd like to play a game on one display and surf or chat on another.

rewt
07-10-05, 09:12 PM
I would like to know as well. I'd like to play a game on one display and surf or chat on another.

DualView

Darkfalz
07-11-05, 02:21 AM
Only for videos, you can set the secondary display to display any video full screen. So you have it running in a window in the background on the first display, but running full screen on the cloned display.

As for gaming on one and web surfing on the other, that's something only DualView can do (and I'll admit, it is cool). Only problem is which screen gets control of the mouse, keyboard etc. - so it's only any good for gamepads and such (ie. emulators).

rewt
07-11-05, 06:19 AM
Only problem is which screen gets control of the mouse, keyboard etc. - so it's only any good for gamepads and such (ie. emulators).

Most of the time I can switch by alt+tab or ctrl+esc. I've been using it recently with Battlefield 2 and it seems to work best when I run the game in a window. Sometimes running games fullscreen does not work very well with DualView.