PDA

View Full Version : Desktop resized funny after playing video

coldmist
07-09-05, 11:41 AM
After loading 77.30's for BF2, I've had some really funny video-related issues. I have a Samsung 173P LCD screen via DVI driven by an XFX 6800GT on Win2K, in case that makes a difference.

Sometimes after coming out of BF2 (which has a bink video playing in the background), or after watching an avi/mpg file in media player classic, or even closing VideoRedo (ie anything video-related), it seems the desktop visually gets resized to 640x480, while the mouse is still being moved around a 1280x1024 grid. The video looks like the screen-door effect with little lines separating the pixels. This only happens when closing the application, not stopping the video per se within the app.

If the screen isn't resized, plain text can look funny in a browser or a text editor, kind of like a bad implementation of cleartype. Its slightly blurred and not crisp as it should be. In VideoRedo, it uses some overlays with the time counter and such, and those blink black a bit when changing values, so it might be an overlay problem.

To fix both of these, I have to either reboot, or manually work through the display properties (via the keyboard if the screen was resized) and resize to 1024x768 and then back to 1280x1024.

This only started with 77.30s but is still there after trying 77.50s and 77.72. Its only activated by closing a video-related program.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Is there a fix to this?

Help!!!

MUYA
07-09-05, 11:49 AM
I had that I think, it was caused by belive it or not Java...Sun version as I used Azereus. Once I removed Azerues and java's VM wasn't being called for, that problem went away for me. :)

coldmist
07-09-05, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the tip (and the fast reply!). I'll try that.

Fiiu
09-07-05, 05:21 PM
I've been experiencing exactly the same problem. I can see screen "blink" fast when I get into Java enabled page and after that I know that playing a video will scramble the screen "interlaced". Have to try that uninstalling but what to replace Sun Java?

EDIT: Found some help from this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50077

rewt
09-08-05, 02:22 AM
Yeah I've seen this quite a few times on my 5900 as well. Ctrl+Alt+Del seems to bring my desktop back to normal 99% of the time. I have the latest version of Java I think.

Fiiu
09-08-05, 04:51 AM
I deleted Java 5.0 update 3 and 4 (above 2 at least) and now I can't recreate the problem. Seems that it's fixed, I'll report if the situation changes. Sun Java 5.0 update 1 works well.

Inglo
09-08-05, 02:14 PM
This happened to me yesterday for the first time. It only seems to happen if I have azureus running and then launch a movie file, from explorer directly. If I open WMP, for example, and then open a vid file, the weirdness doesn't occur.

SLippe
09-08-05, 06:16 PM
I have had this problem in the past, as several on here have, but not in a long while. I too could fix it by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del or by pressing F4, which automatically closed whatever was hanging or deforming the desktop. You might try the newer drivers with Java again, if you feel like it. Again, no problems here with the past few sets of drivers.

dcorban
09-08-05, 11:49 PM
Isn't this an old issue that only appears when you have AA enabled in the driver control panel and then run a Java app?

Inglo
09-08-05, 11:55 PM
Could be... I had accidentally enabled AA in the control panel for the global profile a couple of day ago.
Thanks for the heads up on that.