PDA

View Full Version : New Geforce 6600 - What's the Deal?

Pages : [1] 2

Valirus
07-09-05, 10:10 PM
Well, here's my situation in as few words as possible:

My old Dell rig:
2.4 Ghz Pentium IV
512 RAM
Geforce 4 Ti

It ran moderately intensive games like Warcraft 3 or Sacrifice immaculately, but, obviously, Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 had to be keyed down a bit for smooth play. However, the Geforce 4's heatsink failed, and it destroyed itself fairly quickly. I went and bought a BFG 6600 GT OC AGP to replace it, but I found out fairly quickly that my Dell box wouldn't work with just about anything. I eventually replaced most of the parts, and the new rig is:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, ~2.2 Ghz
Foxconn KT600-8237 Motherboard
512 RAM
BFG 6600 GT OC AGP

I played through Half-Life 2, and it ran pretty smoothly. I can't recall if it's much better than the old rig. However, if I try to play Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, or Sacrifice, it is -clearly- much grainier and slower than my old rig. Warcraft 3 used to look perfectly sleek and run at a flawless FPS at all times, whereas it now slows to a crawl and becomes grainy at the first zoom-in.

I have the latest NVIDIA drivers, and I've fiddled around with various graphical settings. I just don't understand where the performance drop is coming from.

StoNer
07-10-05, 05:02 AM
What are your memory timings at?

And did you change your psu out from the crapola 150w-200w that most lower end dells come with?

Other than that im clueless man, but someone with more knowledge will most likely post soon :)

MUYA
07-10-05, 05:12 AM
What OS? Thing is I hope no matter what, I hope he has formated and did a fresh install with the new hardware.

Valirus
07-10-05, 08:12 AM
I did get a new PSU, 400 watt. Using XP Professional.

I did reformat after putting in all the new hardware, however, I swapped processors on the same motherboard without reformatting. Would that be giving me trouble?

MUYA
07-10-05, 08:18 AM
u swapped a p4 into a AMD mobotherboard? You are not making sense

MUYA
07-10-05, 08:19 AM
did u get the right via 4 in 1 drivers for that kt600 motherboard? Going from a p4 to AMD system will require a reformat and fresh install of winXP.

install winxp first, then mobo drivers, direct x9c, then graphics and or audio etc.

StoNer
07-10-05, 09:15 AM
ok so u got a new mobo and a new card and cpu, and installed it all with a clean OS install. And then u swapped cpus? or was that before?

If u did it after the OS install it can cause alot of problems id imagine

Valirus
07-10-05, 11:06 AM
Let me clarify:

I originally bought a Geforce 6600 and the AMD motherboard that happened to have a 1.8 Ghz Sempron packaged with it. I put it all together, installed XP, installed the video drivers, etc.

Then, I bought the Athlon XP to replace the nasty Sempron. I simply switched the two without reinstallation. I can reinstall, but I'd like to be sure that there's nothing else that could be the problem. The OS seems to recognize everything just fine. How is the Athlon XP 3000+ known to perform? Should it outperform my old P4 2.4 ghz?

Also, what was the 4-in-1 business you mentioned before? I, uh, didn't know mobos needed drivers. :)

$n][pErMan
07-10-05, 11:31 AM
here is an obvious question .... what driver set are you using? :) And yes... thats CPU should outperform a 2.4ghz P4 quite easily (even more so if u get cool cooling for it and OC it ;) ). Also check the obvious in the motherboard.... make sure 8x-VLink is enabled.. AGP Apature is 128 (or 64) ... FastWrites off (so you dont run into trouble later).

remymarten
07-10-05, 12:58 PM
Did you change your MB bios settings to make sure it is reading the new CPU correctly?

Valirus
07-10-05, 01:25 PM
EDIT: NVIDIA drivers are 7.7.7.2

I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA, whatever those are. I just reinstalled them a few days ago. I'd check them out, but I'm knee-deep in BIOS at the moment. Regardless, I don't think it's the problem. I just went to NVIDIA and got the XP->Geforce drivers. Here's what I think is relevant in BIOS. If I'm missing anything, do tell:

Init Display First: AGP

VLink 8x Support: Enabled
PCI Master 0 WS Write: Enabled
PCI Delay Transaction: Enabled

AGP Aperture Size: 128M
AGP Mode: 8x
AGP Fast Write: Disabled
AGP Master 1 WS Write: Disabled
AGP Master 1 WS Read: Disabled
AGP 3.0 Calibration Cycle: Enabled

I'm thinking that reinstalling Windows in between a Sempron and an Athlon wasn't necessary, regardless?

$n][pErMan
07-10-05, 04:26 PM
EDIT: NVIDIA drivers are 7.7.7.2

I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA, whatever those are. I just reinstalled them a few days ago. I'd check them out, but I'm knee-deep in BIOS at the moment. Regardless, I don't think it's the problem. I just went to NVIDIA and got the XP->Geforce drivers. Here's what I think is relevant in BIOS. If I'm missing anything, do tell:

Init Display First: AGP

VLink 8x Support: Enabled
PCI Master 0 WS Write: Enabled
PCI Delay Transaction: Enabled

AGP Aperture Size: 128M
AGP Mode: 8x
AGP Fast Write: Disabled
AGP Master 1 WS Write: Disabled
AGP Master 1 WS Read: Disabled
AGP 3.0 Calibration Cycle: Enabled

I'm thinking that reinstalling Windows in between a Sempron and an Athlon wasn't necessary, regardless?
You dont need to reformat if you change CPU but not the motherboard unless your using some wierd ass software overclocking program. Have you tried another driver set? Id recommend 77.30's (they work great for me). Also, as stated .. does your motherboard read the right CPU FSB and frequency? Sometimes if its not set for auto and you change CPU's it will still run at the old speeds. I believe an XP3000+ runs with a 333Mhz FSB and is clocked at 2.16Ghz... although I believe there are a few that run at 400Mhz FSB out there. Find out what your is running at and check the CPU speed reported in the bios bootup or inside the bios. Also, what type of ram are you using? PC3200(400Mhz) ... 2700(333Mhz) .. or 2100(266Mhz)? You better have PC2700 or better if you have a 333Mhz FSB on your CPU ... or PC3200 or better if you have a 400Mhz FSB on your CPU. Otherwise it will slow your CPU down and run your FSB at the ram speed as the Multiplier is locked and can't change without a hardmod. Report back on what you find. :)

Gentle
07-11-05, 12:13 PM
If your motherboard has an AGP bus on it you need a driver for the motherboard.

Gentle

zoomy942
07-11-05, 12:23 PM
If your motherboard has an AGP bus on it you need a driver for the motherboard.

Gentle

yup, be sure you installed the GART driver. this sounds alot like what my 6800 was doing till i realized that i hadnt installed the GART

Valirus
07-11-05, 12:29 PM
Well, I tried rolling back to 77.30, and I got the same problem. I checked the memory, and it's 266 Mhz. Where can I double-check my system bus to be sure this isn't fast enough?

I haven't tried any drivers yet. I'll take a look for that GART business.

zoomy942
07-11-05, 12:31 PM
its in the chipset drivers.

Zerocool
07-11-05, 12:36 PM
Disable AGP 3.0 Calibration Cycle, and if FW works use it.

Valirus
07-11-05, 12:42 PM
Ok, the motherboard is a 400 mhz system bus. It says that it supports 266 mhz memory, but I imagine that performance would be significantly reduced regardless? The memory hasn't changed since my original rig. There are other factors to address before I go out and buy a new memory chip, then?

rohit
07-11-05, 03:48 PM
You mentioned that HL2 plays fairly smoothly. and wc3 does not.
How the f...
1] Check your nv settings OGL/D3D (disable
2] what mobo do you have right now.
3] Did you connect the 6600GT with the power molex?
4] Check nv control panel and reply with what does it say over herehttp://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4336/settings6my.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

5] also check the Vertical Sync should be off.
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/725/settings16wc.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Valirus
07-11-05, 05:25 PM
NV Control Panel says:

Processor: Geforce 6600 GT
Video BIOS Version: 5.43.02.46.65
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI x0
Memory: 128 MB
Forceware Version: 77.72
TV Encoder Type: NVIDIA Integrated

Hmm... PCI Bus? Also, when I tried installing the GART drivers, I got an "AGP Device not found" message, though it continued installing. I'm absolutely positive that this is an AGP card in an AGP slot. I can't tell where the software screwup is happening.

zoomy942
07-11-05, 05:48 PM
which nforce drivers are you using? if they are beta, then windows wont see the WHQL tag on them and wont install it

Valirus
07-11-05, 09:06 PM
NForce? Do you mean the NVIDIA drivers? If not, then no, I've never installed "NForce" drivers. Is there a difference?

zoomy942
07-11-05, 11:19 PM
well, not a difference persay... the forceware drivers you used are for your video card,, and the nforce drivers are for the motherboard itself.

the GART is what makes you AGP slot be able to talk with your PC correctly.

get the nforce drivers from the nvidia site. that way, you can be sure to get some drivers that are WHQL

j0j081
07-12-05, 12:53 AM
i sense this thread going nowhere fast.

Gentle
07-12-05, 02:40 AM
Go to the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Look for motherboard drivers for your model of motherboard.

This will have a special driver for your AGP bus.

You need this, or it falls back to "PCI" mode. Performance will be horrid until you do this.

Gentle