PDA

View Full Version : Should I RMA my new 6800GT?

TB303
07-10-05, 04:58 PM
Hi people,
A few days ago I received my first Nvidia card, an Inno3D 6800GT (256MB).

At first I was very happy with it but then some problems started to emerge:

1. The card is extremely hot: 70C Idle and over 90C – under load. Ambient temp is around 50C.

2. The fan doesn’t throttle properly. Unless I use and run ExpertTool in the tray the fan is stuck at 60% capacity (based on data from RivaTuner) – and does not increase when under load as it should. I’m now using ExpertTool to ensure that the fan runs at 100% at all times.

3. The above conditions probably lead to “Shut downs” when playing games, GTA:SA in particular after a few minutes literally shuts down the computer, this has happened in other games and after various periods of time.

4. I have never OCed the card. The card managed to get 4,600 in 3Dmark at stock speeds so I feel it works as it should performance wise.

5. These crashes are NOT PSU related it appears. I have a 550W PSU with 14amp on the +12V rail, it should be sufficient.

The funny thing is that this card (Inno3D) actually prides itself on having a specially designed fan/heat sink by Cooler Master… ;-))

So what do you people think?

Thanks,

toxikneedle
07-10-05, 05:09 PM
Well based on the temperatures and your random game crashes it sounds like an overheating problem for sure. It's possible that the card is instable on stock speeds, I had that happen to me.... If RMAing isnt a hassle for you, I think you should do it. Wait for more responses here.

Rytr
07-10-05, 05:24 PM
#1. You listed 50C as ambient temp. I am guessing you are referring to ambient case temps which means you should try to improve airflow through the case. Ideally, somewhere in the mid-30 range or lower is desired. Anyway, your case temps need to be lowered.
Most 6800GTs that I have seen idle 55 to 60C with the stock cooler. I lowered my current GT from 58C, at idle, to 49C by going to the Zalman VG700-cu. Others have been successful with the Arctic Cooler. There are a number of threads on cooling the GT in the forums that you can refer to.
Of course, changing coolers could void your warranty.

#5. I don't believe you will find 14A to be acceptable for the +12V rail even coming from a labeled 550W psu. A quality 350 to 500W psu with a rated +12V rail of at least 18A (24A would be better) is needed to supply sufficient 12 volt power for the 6800GT, especially if you overclock.

Redphoenix
07-10-05, 05:55 PM
Is your PSU a Q-TEC 550w? I had one of these, and it caused similar problems when I switched to a 6800GT. They are not much better than most 300w PSU's.

As Rytr mentioned, 14amps on the 12v line is really pushing it, especially if you have a decent processor and a couple of hard disks/optical drives. :)

TB303
07-10-05, 05:56 PM
#1. You listed 50C as ambient temp. I am guessing you are referring to ambient case temps which means you should try to improve airflow through the case. Ideally, somewhere in the mid-30 range or lower is desired. Anyway, your case temps need to be lowered.
Most 6800GTs that I have seen idle 55 to 60C with the stock cooler. I lowered my current GT from 58C, at idle, to 49C by going to the Zalman VG700-cu. Others have been successful with the Arctic Cooler. There are a number of threads on cooling the GT in the forums that you can refer to.
Of course, changing coolers could void your warranty.

#5. I don't believe you will find 14A to be acceptable for the +12V rail even coming from a labeled 550W psu. A quality 350 to 500W psu with a rated +12V rail of at least 18A (24A would be better) is needed to supply sufficient 12 volt power for the 6800GT, especially if you overclock.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

When I say Ambient temp I refer to the one that shows in the drivers and rivatuner and ambient temp, I think ExpertTool calls it PCB temp. But I'm not sure. O have fairly good cooling in my case 2 120mm auto-tuning silent fans and another 3 smaller ones at the front. My previus PSu bured out on a hot day... ;-))

Are you saying that I should get a new PSU?

Would insefficent power not show up in gaming performance? I got 4,600 in 3Dmark - which is in line with the card and CPU. Also, if it is ",missing" on some power, can that cause shut downs? or over heating?
RivaTuner doesn't show my gpu clock spedd (both GPU and Memory) changing one bit, during Idle or load.

thanks for you help people, I'm trying to get to the buttom of this.

TB303
07-10-05, 05:57 PM
Is your PSU a Q-TEC 550w? I had one of these, and it caused similar problems when I switched to a 6800GT. They are not much better than most 300w PSU's.

As Rytr mentioned, 14amps on the 12v line is really pushing it, especially if you have a decent processor and a couple of hard disks/optical drives. :)

It's exactly the one I have! ;-))

550W "dual fan gold" - sounds dodgy no?

Redphoenix
07-10-05, 06:07 PM
Definately mate. Im almost certain that is the cause of your problem. I had the same problems when I had a QTEC. Quite a few people on the OCUK forums have had most of their PC's taken out when these cheap nasty PSU's go bang. I bought mine for £20 from a computer fair. Guess you get what you pay for. :)

Used to have problems with my 9800 pro with one of these as well. Damn thing would not overclock without lockups. I though it was the Radeon that was at fault, until the problem got worse with the 6800.

I replaced it with a Jeantech 460w QuietPSU for £35 from PC world. Not exactly the best PSU in the world, but got rid of all my problems, and allows me to clock my GT to 440/580 without any lockups or artifacts. I also tested it with the 9800 pro before I sold it, and it also worked fine, and overclocked nicely.

Might be worth trying a new PSU before you give up.

Rytr
07-10-05, 08:09 PM
So you have good airflow through the case. That leaves the card or the current cooler (HSF) on your card.
The temp control of the fan might be bad but when you force it to run at 100% it still does not cool properly.
To have the temps you list at idle I know of only two things that could cause it. The first is the card is faulty and needs to be replaced.
The second potential cause is insufficient contact between the heatsink and the gpu and/or ram. The only way to check this is to remove the heatsinks and see if you are getting full contact.
Before I would go any further I would suggest you check heatsink mounting screws and see if they are loose.

monkeydust
07-10-05, 08:43 PM
>> The card is extremely hot: 70C Idle and over 90C – under load. Ambient temp is around 50C.

That's hot? Mine is running at 75C idle right now and that is with Zalman HSF's on it. I never have any stability issues though.

Rytr
07-10-05, 08:54 PM
>> The card is extremely hot: 70C Idle and over 90C – under load. Ambient temp is around 50C.

That's hot? Mine is running at 75C idle right now and that is with Zalman HSF's on it. I never have any stability issues though.

Mine is running under full load at 60C with ambient listed in the Nvidia control panel as 39C. It idles at 49C and that is with a ZF700-cu using the 7V connection. With the stock heatsink and fan it ran 58C at idle and mid 70s under load.

TB303
07-10-05, 09:23 PM
Ok,
thanks for your feedback!
Just to summarise it seems that we have two conflicting problems:

1. ****ty power supply: if the card needs around 24amp to run well (and maybe support a little OC), and my PSU does only 14amp, that might explain crashes and ****ty performance (i.e about 25 FPS in out door FarCry scenes@ 1024*768 4AA/16AF).

I'm going to get a new PSU, can someone recomend me something cheap and good, avilable in the UK?

2.Malfnuctioning or faulty heatsink/fan - which results in relativly high temps.
I'd rather not deal with the HS for fear of voiding the warranty.

The problem now is that those two problems conflict:

If the card doesn't have enough power than why does it overheats?
If it doesn't have power howcome the clock speeds - both GPU and memory don't throttle down?
And if it is overheating, why does it crash (i.e. shuts down the computer) in certain situations and not in other games?

mustrum
07-11-05, 06:07 AM
That PSU is a POS. Replace it before it takes out your whole system.
I can recommend the OCZ Modstream 520. Decent PSU that's still pretty silent.
The temperatures of your card seem high but the card shouldn't crash your system at 90 degrees. You might replace the cooling with the zalman one to get better temps.

rohit
07-11-05, 03:14 PM
the temps of your cards are HIGH, but isnt the cause of system reboots. the GPU throtlles down when the card reaches a temp of 120*C.
Also, i knw a couple of guyz with the same card as you have (Inno3d Geforce 6800U and thermaly equipped by cooler master). had a word with em, they said card's max temps are 79*C when playing HL2 with O/C to 430 on core. and ambient of 46*C.

so i think, in your case the thermal compound has worn out and maybe the HSF isnt making proper contact with the GPU.

EDIT: i didnt ask 'em about the fan-speed. i will the next time they come online.

TB303
07-11-05, 04:23 PM
the temps of your cards are HIGH, but isnt the cause of system reboots. the GPU throtlles down when the card reaches a temp of 120*C.
Also, i knw a couple of guyz with the same card as you have (Inno3d Geforce 6800U and thermaly equipped by cooler master). had a word with em, they said card's max temps are 79*C when playing HL2 with O/C to 430 on core. and ambient of 46*C.

so i think, in your case the thermal compound has worn out and maybe the HSF isnt making proper contact with the GPU.

EDIT: i didnt ask 'em about the fan-speed. i will the next time they come online.

Cheers for the info mate.
Just a quick correction: I have a 6800GT@ stock speeds.

So if heat isn't causing the crashes what does? Can it be lack of power?
It crashes when I play GTA:SA @8AA, and when I run the Nalu demo, too.

Cheers,

j0j081
07-12-05, 01:08 AM

You are wrong. Just because the card can reach 120 doesn't mean it's stable until doing so. Anything 90 and above is pushing it therefore heat could be causing his reboots. It was on my setup before upgrading my case cooling. Now though I have a Zalman so it's even better. If something else was wrong in my system reducing the heat wouldn't have stopped the crashes.

TB303
07-12-05, 05:44 AM
I don't knwo about the heat and the crashes...

I had RivaTuner run its moniutoring software while looping the Nalu demo - when the computer "Shut down".

Later, looking at the data, I saw that the temp when it crashed was 88C, where as about a minute before it **** down the temp reached 91C - and didn't crash...

I wonder if this is related to an inadequate PSU

EDIT: I wrote "shut"...

j0j081
07-12-05, 05:30 PM
I don't knwo about the heat and the crashes...

I had RivaTuner run its moniutoring software while looping the Nalu demo - when the computer "Shut down".

Later, looking at the data, I saw that the temp when it crashed was 88C, where as about a minute before it **** down the temp reached 91C - and didn't crash...

I wonder if this is related to an inadequate PSU

EDIT: I wrote "shut"...
It's not always going to crash at the same temp though. One day it could be 89, the next 92.

Tr1cK
07-12-05, 10:09 PM
Mine is idling at 57/34 right now overclocked with 2d/3d @ 410mhz.

I'd recommend my PSU anyday. Newegg has them for around $55 I believe.