PDA

View Full Version : Trip + Burning smell (long post)

angshuman
07-10-05, 07:36 PM
I have an MSI Platinum SLI mobo, the one that has the stupid flimsy SLI-selection mechanism (anyone else with this board will know what I'm talking about). Anyway, so one fine day, the inevitable happened: the little plasticky thing that held the selector board in place popped off, and the selector card came loose (it was still slotted -- somewhat).

Coincidentally, my 6600GT fried near about the same time http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53044. Actually, the only reason why I noticed the loose SLI selector was because the GT fried and I was looking inside my case for abnormalities, and the selector may have popped off quite a while back (as I mentioned, it hadn't *completely* come loose, it could still have been functioning). I figured the reason why my card was behaving weird could have been the loose selector. I managed to place the stupid plastic thing back in place and the SLI selector was firmly secured once again.

That's when the fun started.

I restarted my system, and... poof! The PSU tripped after switching on for a fraction of a second (I have a 535W $110 Enermax). To my horror, I could smell the familiar burning odor of a short-circuit :eek:. I tried hard, but could not isolate where the smell was coming from. Within a few minutes, the smell vanished. For almost an hour, I tried to look for signs of something burnt in my system, but couldn't. I almost took the whole thing apart in an attempt to look at each component closely and re-assembled it. But no, no sign of anything wrong at all.

I dared to do the unthinkable. I reset my PSU, plugged it back in, and moved myself as far away from my system as possible. Stretching out my trembling hand, I managed to locate the Power on button. I looked away, took a deep breath, and applied pressure on the button...

... the sound of 7 fans revving up filled my ears. After a few seconds, I heard the beautiful, familiar, BIOS <beeeep>. I went back to my machine and switched on my monitor. Everything was okay! Windows came up, and I started Guild Wars. The system froze, but I was kind of used to that by now. My graphics card was truly gone.

So, there it is. I ended up exactly where I started -- a fried 6600GT. My system's in the exact semi-operational state that I started out with (please see my other thread if you're interested in the details). What I'm confused about is what in heavens name all the other intermittent stuff was about -- the loose SLI card (that may or may not have had anything to do with anything), the tripped PSU, and the short-lived but distinct burning smell :confused:.

I'm going RMA on my 6600GT, but I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with the rest of my system, specifically the PSU. It seems to work perfectly, I tried out another graphics card (one that draws far less power than the 6600GT, though) and everything seems *perfect*. Any clues? Is my system safe?

PaiN
07-10-05, 08:19 PM
You better RMA the motherboard, also....sounds like it might be the "root" problem, you might end up killing the replacement 6600GT, too :(

angshuman
07-11-05, 09:07 PM
Hmm... is it really possible for a motherboard to blow up a graphics card?

Roadhog
07-11-05, 10:25 PM
yep.

Rytr
07-11-05, 11:04 PM
Guess you checked the contacts on the card for any signs of arcing? If there is any discoloration on the gold contacts of the card that is a pretty good sign that the agp slot was the source of the burnt smell.

jAkUp
07-12-05, 12:27 AM
You mean PCIe slot? ;)

angshuman
07-12-05, 12:51 AM
Just checked... PCIe contacts are sparkling clean... as are the contacts on the *STUPID* SLI selector card. I pulled out the damn thing one more time to check... and in doing so I'm sure I reduced its MTTF by several years.

By the way, is it okay -- contractually (through warranty) and ethically -- to RMA a product that you *suspect* is damaged? For instance, I am sure my video card is trashed, but I'm not quite sure if my motherboard is. Or is that exactly what RMA means: "I feel something's wrong, could you guys please check it out?"

Thanks!
Angshuman

Lfctony
07-12-05, 01:42 AM
Just say "it's giving me trouble" which is true.

mx125race
07-12-05, 09:40 PM
6600 GT's are well known for their elite ways of amazing overheating and frying...
:D thats why i got a 6600, not the GT, becuz all i hear abotu the GT's is that they overheat

angshuman
07-13-05, 03:07 AM
And I learned the hard way.

Wish I could get a 6800 vanilla in exchange. The PCIe version does not have hidden secrets, but it seems it is very overclockable, prices are down to the 180's, and it comes with a 256-bit bus :luv:

LBJM
07-13-05, 03:11 AM
And I learned the hard way.

Wish I could get a 6800 vanilla in exchange. The PCIe version does not have hidden secrets, but it seems it is very overclockable, prices are down to the 180's, and it comes with a 256-bit bus :luv:

what do you mean you should be able to unlock the 6th vp though your still stuck with 12 pipelines. I'm happy with my 7800GTX.