PDA

View Full Version : 7800 GTX Strange BF2 Performance

5150 Joker
07-11-05, 07:25 AM
Ok this is really weird so maybe someone here can explain this. When I run BF2 with mostly medium settings and 2xAA during the day on a full 32 player server (with ventrilo running in the background) my fps will range from 40-90 fps depending on the action. Tonight I joined a full 32 player server with everything turned on high except dynamic shadows and textures + 4xAA and my fps was almost a constant 60+! Most of the time it hovered in the 70-90 range and the only time it fell below 60 was when I was in the middle of an artillery strike and there was plumes of smoke everywhere. So what's up with that?

Mudcrutch
07-11-05, 11:02 AM
the 7800 is up to the task.. there are many instances of raising settings in games and having little to no performance impact. its called underutilizing your card.. ! :)

5150 Joker
07-11-05, 02:02 PM
the 7800 is up to the task.. there are many instances of raising settings in games and having little to no performance impact. its called underutilizing your card.. ! :)

Yeah I understand that but in this case it raised performance which made no sense.

Mesce
07-11-05, 03:34 PM
I get the stuttering at the beginning of the map but then after that everything is nice and smooth. I turned the sound quality down a bit and it really helped a lot.

kam03
07-11-05, 04:20 PM
The problem you are facing is actually the RAM. Move to 2gb and it will run as smooth as butter.

I have the OCZ 2gb kit @ 2-3-2-5 1T. It gives the same performance (sometimes better) as the previous Corsair 1gb XLPT kit i had, which was @ 2-2-2-5 1T.

OOPS LOLZZZZ, i should actually read your specs before posting. Thats weird you have 2gb and yet you still get lags. Anyways when i was on 1gb i had the exact same problem and once i moved to 2gb, it was all gone.

I thnink your problem might be the value ram you are using? what timings are they on?

5150 Joker
07-11-05, 04:31 PM
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I'm not getting performance problems by setting the graphics options higher - rather the opposite. If I drop the settings to medium with 2x AA I tend to get LOWER fps than if I set most things on high with 4xAA. It is just unusual that this occurs and I've been trying to figure out why.

Mudcrutch
07-11-05, 05:09 PM
maybe the varying clocks that the 7800 series has... ? lower settings dont tax it too much, so it goes to a lower clock. higher settings make it speed up...

just a guess.

ChrisRay
07-11-05, 06:39 PM
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I'm not getting performance problems by setting the graphics options higher - rather the opposite. If I drop the settings to medium with 2x AA I tend to get LOWER fps than if I set most things on high with 4xAA. It is just unusual that this occurs and I've been trying to figure out why.

I figure this may just be an anomoly of AA requiring multiple cycles across the pipeline. Since the 16 ROP/24 Pipe takes several cycles anyway.

havox
07-11-05, 10:56 PM
I had something similer, when raising res on same AA AF I get same fps in a couple of games & same drops on the fps reading, I thought maybe readings are incorrect. used fraps. same thing does not make a difference high res or low. but yet I feel the slow down even on above 60 fps with high res!