PDA

View Full Version : Pci-e

monstar
07-11-05, 12:58 PM
my dad recently bought me a Geforce 6600 GT PCI-E without either of us really doing our homework and it turns out that Dell placed 4 PCI slots into our computer and no AGP or PCI-E. Anyone know of any solutions other than replacing the motherboard OR the whole PC?

saturnotaku
07-11-05, 01:17 PM
Anyone know of any solutions other than replacing the motherboard OR the whole PC?

Not if you want to use that 6600 GT.

rohit
07-11-05, 02:17 PM
Well, if you want the 6600GT to be used (in either AGP or Pci-e way), get a new mobo, thats the only way to make it work.

Edit: Get a new mobo that has a PCI-e slot. Since you got your 6600 wich is pci-e might as well get a pci-e mobo. Before that make sure that the mobo is fine with your DELL PC.

zoomy942
07-11-05, 02:24 PM
rohit is right, and also check the PSU. alot of those premade pc's have weak PSU's, and if you get an uber-mobo, be sure your PSU wont mind powering it.

saturnotaku
07-11-05, 02:26 PM
rohit is right, and also check the PSU. alot of those premade pc's have weak PSU's

Not only weak, but also potentially proprietary. PC Power and Cooling makes PSUs for Dell systems, but they can be pricey.

zoomy942
07-11-05, 02:27 PM
Not only weak, but also potentially proprietary. PC Power and Cooling makes PSUs for Dell systems, but they can be pricey.

good call.

Seph gPu
07-11-05, 03:24 PM
If you plan on doing remotely any decent gaming on your pc, I suggest upgrading the motherboard to one with agp or pci-e (if possible) pci cards are pretty much done, the 5600 non ultra was the fastest pci card made and final one as well. The interface is no longer supported for gaming as of the 5xxx fx series.