PDA

View Full Version : BF2 problem - anyone have this?

sonaboy
07-11-05, 06:14 PM
when you first connect to the online server (you know, clicking the icon on the desktop and then choosing your account, and hit "connect") - my BF2 does the connect, but while it does that, it tries to also connect to a random game server, and so my connect time, just to get into the game takes 4 minutes or so.
and of course, i have to hit ESC, and just go into the regular multiplayer tab, refresh the server list and choose a game i want to go into.

why does it do that? i don't see any setting in options, or any of the tabs that control this. is there a setting in the .ini file that i can change to prevent this?

NemesisChild
07-11-05, 06:19 PM
I launch the game from the DVD disk, then hit play BF2.
You may be trying to launch the game directly into the account server.
If so, I've heard of others having this same problem.
Btw, you can disable the EA Games, Dice, etc. videos at the beginning by renaming the file for each.
Each is a .bib file, just rename them .bbb (it worked for me in BF1942, BFV, and now BF2).

Gaco
07-11-05, 06:21 PM
I haven't really heard of this before.. Either it's your system/drivers or it's a BF2 software bug specifically for you :P

Anyway have you tried to type in the IP of a server?

sonaboy
07-11-05, 06:22 PM
I launch the game from the DVD disk, then hit play BF2.
You may be trying to launch the game directly into the account server.
If so, I've heard of others having this same problem.
Btw, you can disable the EA Games, Dice, etc. videos at the beginning by renaming the file for each.

oh..that makes sense. strange though.

i'll try that rename thing too...i was gonna ask that next. :eek:

sonaboy
07-11-05, 06:24 PM
I haven't really heard of this before.. Either it's your system/drivers or it's a BF2 software bug specifically for you :P

Anyway have you tried to type in the IP of a server?

no - you misunderstand - i'm still on my desktop, not even in the game yet.
so it goes directly from the exe on the desktop, into the game, i hit connect for my ACCOUNT, not a server, and it checks me into the online account, but then goes directly into trying to connect to a random game server before it even gives me the server list screen.

subbo
07-11-05, 06:31 PM
Heh, I wonder how many people are baffled and annoyed by that too.

You see, BF2 creates two icons "Battlefield 2" and "Play Online Now!" .. and the latter tries to connect to a server (first connecting to the account, then downloading a huge-butt server list, then parsing the list with its uber slow handling, then desperately trying to enter the not-so-optimal server thats always full).

So please all delete the Online Now! icon and use the normal icon.

Myself, a hardcore gamer and BF2 fan, was steaming angry about how slow and unacceptable EA's account service is before I humbly discovered I was using the wrong D@#N icon.

I guess where EA's logic crashes and burns is the fact that people are used to games like Quake3 and its derivatives having an Online icon and an Offline icon, and thus think the "online now!" icon loads your Online profile and the other doesnt. EA sure skipped the class on that one. And it probably did work FABULOUSLY in the lab with THREE empty test servers.

sonaboy
07-11-05, 07:07 PM
Heh, I wonder how many people are baffled and annoyed by that too.

You see, BF2 creates two icons "Battlefield 2" and "Play Online Now!" .. and the latter tries to connect to a server (first connecting to the account, then downloading a huge-butt server list, then parsing the list with its uber slow handling, then desperately trying to enter the not-so-optimal server thats always full).

So please all delete the Online Now! icon and use the normal icon.

Myself, a hardcore gamer and BF2 fan, was steaming angry about how slow and unacceptable EA's account service is before I humbly discovered I was using the wrong D@#N icon.

I guess where EA's logic crashes and burns is the fact that people are used to games like Quake3 and its derivatives having an Online icon and an Offline icon, and thus think the "online now!" icon loads your Online profile and the other doesnt. EA sure skipped the class on that one. And it probably did work FABULOUSLY in the lab with THREE empty test servers.

and there you have it!
man, that IS dumb. who wants to just connect to some random server?
and what's worse, many times i get the "Cannot connect to server because it's full" error - it doesn't even check to see if the server can let you in???

derf!