PDA

View Full Version : Is there a single driver w/o stuttering in facry?

Seph gPu
07-11-05, 05:47 PM
I've tried the 66.77 xtreme g's, the 77.62's, the most recent official 77.72's, the 71.89's and finally the 80.40 beta's. Same problem everytime, when I'm about to shoot a weapon , theres a delay in action, I've tried numerous levels and various resolution and video settings....I upgraded from my x700 which never had a problem with stuttering.... as "weak"as that card was at least it worked fluidly. I re-installed my OS after changing cards (pci-e) so there shouldn't be any conflicts driver wise. I also go into safe mode and use driver cleaner after each un-installation/installation. I have quite a few offers from people who will take this card and trade me a x800xl and im thinking about doing it, same performance without the hassle of stuttuering and pauses. I enjoy digital vibrance and the better opengl support, but I play Farcry like 24/7 and this is just too much of an annoyance. I've read it was a driver issue that started after a cetain forceware, does anyone know of a forceware that doesnt have the stuttering? Thank you.

Greg
07-11-05, 05:59 PM
There is not a single video driver that doesn't have that issue, because it is related to sound, hard drive and cache. Notice that if you fire a shot from each of your weapons, the little pause does not occur again for a long time. I agree the problem is infuriating, always occuring in combat when you can least accept it, but I am quite sure it is not video related dispite claims in some forums.

macatak
07-11-05, 06:18 PM
It's the 1.3 patch that causes the pauses you're experiencing as explained in this article(Hitching, Pausing, Hiccups section) (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc4LDM=). There are two ways that i know of to reduce/eliminate the pauses....

1) Type this command into the console \r_sm30path 0 which makes the game run on the SM 2.0 Path

2) Install the 61.76 driver(pre DX 9.0c) which basically does the same thing(the game will run the SM 2.0 Path)

gl

Seph gPu
07-11-05, 06:37 PM
Hey, thanks macatak! Disabling sm3.0 via the console has fixed the problem! How ironic, one of the features nvidia touted about...sm3.0, killed the performance of the game. lol.

macatak
07-11-05, 06:58 PM
I think it has more to do with the way SM 3.0 and HDR were tacked onto the game engine after it was made, it'll be a different story with the likes of the Unreal3 engine which has SM 3.0 and HDR built into it from the beginning :)

ps, as you can see from that article it doesn't happen to everyone, one guy with a 6800GT had it, the other guy with the 6800ultra didn't...

anzak
07-11-05, 07:21 PM
Hey, thanks macatak! Disabling sm3.0 via the console has fixed the problem! How ironic, one of the features nvidia touted about...sm3.0, killed the performance of the game. lol.

Its just a bug. The SM3.0 path runs faster (framerate) then 2.0.

macatak
07-11-05, 08:33 PM
Here's another review (http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=7594&head=1&comments=1) of SM 2.0 v SM3.0 in Far Cry :)

Greg
07-12-05, 02:50 AM
Glad to hear you've solved your problem. It must be different to mine. I get a pause before firing weapons, and at other times during gameplay. Happened on GeforceFX (so no SM3.0) and on the Radeon 9800se I had at the time.

laydback
07-12-05, 07:32 PM
I dont know if this helps you but heres my post in a diff thread.

I figured out why my BFG 6800GT OC had to same issue. It seems that if the card detects that it has been overclocked, once it reaches a certain temp it tries to downclock it self to the default clocks according the the card's BIOS. What I did is test my highest OC 425/1100 and editor my original BIOS to those settings. Then I flashed my card and bingo, no more pauses, studders, freezes. Whatever you wanna call it, my card works flawlessly now. Peace