PDA

View Full Version : New Hard Drive transfer help needed

Viventis
07-12-05, 02:59 PM
I have just about filled up my old WD 120 gb ATA HD. My new 250 GB Maxtor Sata drive will arrive tomorrow along with a new Windows XP pro update. (My main computer has XP home but my second computer has Win ME...can't load Battlefield 2!!)

Assuming that I load the new Windows XP pro onto the new SATA drive, what is the easiest way for me to transfer games and apps to the new drive? I have old versions of Ghost and Image It 3.0 from my two motherboard applications disks around somewhere.

zoomy942
07-12-05, 03:02 PM
using ghost or something like that would be best, cause some games and apps will be moveable without problems, a huge nuimber of them rely on the registry for certain things. if you just copy a program's folder and then not the registy, then the program wont run. for best results, copy and saved game files and any files from your apps. reinstall the OS, then reinstall those apps, then place the save files back where they belong. but ghosting is an option cause that way you just take down OS and brnig it right back up, with just a larger drive.