PDA

View Full Version : high quality headphones

tonytwotimes
12-18-02, 10:28 PM
Im looking for high-end headphones but i dont know what to look for. I currently have the Sony MDR V-300. They sound fine but are not comfortable for long hours of gaming! There must be something better...

netviper13
12-18-02, 10:29 PM
I know there's a brand called sennheiser (or something to that effect) that sells true audiophile headphones, but they run into the thousands of dollars. What's your price range?

zsynth
12-18-02, 11:06 PM
I agree. The Sony's I got sound great, but very uncomfortable (esp if you wear glasses). I tried a few different kinds, finally settled with Sennheiser's. I love 'em. I got the HD535. Very comfortable for long periods, sounds great, and very light weight.

HEADPHONE BUYING GUIDE
http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=2

The Baron
12-18-02, 11:08 PM
Sennheiser HD570.

Best $200 you'll ever spend. Sounds WAY better than any $450 set of computer speakers, anyway. :p

VERY comfy. Open air, too, unlike the closed Sony models. Very light to boot...

--oh, and before you whine... I come from a family of audiophiles. My brother wants a $400 dollar HEADPHONE RECEIVER to go with his ultra-high-end Sennheiser headphones (heavier, not as comfy, sound better though... but you can't tell unless you're listening to classical SACDs).... so yes, I do consider all $450 computer speakers to be crap.--

zsynth
12-18-02, 11:18 PM
Now here's what I'm talkin about:

Sennheiser Orpheus HE-HEV90

LIST PRICE $14,000

ON SALE NOW $11,900

These would go great with my 60" PLASMA screen TV. Don't ya think?

Holy cow! They come with a set of KEYS!!

Smokey
12-19-02, 05:53 AM
These are the headphones im getting for Christmas.
These are the best of the "cheap" headphones and shouldnt be anymore than $60 ? They cost me 50 euros. Sennheiser HD212. It really just depends on your budget, 50 euros is my max for headphones, so thats what I got.

saturnotaku
12-19-02, 09:03 AM
Sennheiser all the way. Best $150 I ever spent on headphones. Best of all, if the speaker cable goes bad (or you've run over it with your chair one too many times) you can simply replace that instead of needing a whole new set of headphones.

If price is no object, buy Sennheiser you won't be disappointed. :)

g0at
12-20-02, 03:46 AM
price IS an object, what would you reccomend for someone looking for quality headphones on a budget?

StealthHawk
12-20-02, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by g0at
price IS an object, what would you reccomend for someone looking for quality headphones on a budget?

what kind of a budget are we talking about here. Sennheiser makes headphones at pretty much all price points.

styles-T
12-21-02, 03:23 AM
Just get a higher model of the MDRV's you have now..
They sound great..

Try the MDRV700DJ

I got mine for 139$ and they sound awesome..

zsynth
12-21-02, 04:26 AM
The easy way to see what you prefer is to find a stereo or electronics shop that has a display setup that allows you to try 'em before you buy 'em. There's a stereo shop by me that has all the headphones setup to one receiver that makes it easier to pick the best sounding\comfort\price comparison.

The Baron
12-21-02, 11:21 AM
I'm not a big fan of the Sony MDRs because they're closed. After a while, they get REALLY uncomfortable...

That's assuming that all MDRs are closed, which is all I've seen... correct me if I'm wrong.

zsynth
12-21-02, 11:00 PM
The only Sony's that are not enclosed are the Digital Dolby models.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-c3xENduLpgm/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=50100&I=158MDRDS51

HEADPHONES:
http://www.djmart.com/headphones.html

Stealthy
12-23-02, 09:15 PM
Anyone getting these for christmas? (click on Premier then Orpheus, fairly cheap price) (http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/products/headphones/index.htm) :D

g0at
12-24-02, 04:47 AM
im looking for something like $30-40

Id rather not spend more $$ than my 5.1 system is worth ($80)
and at around $130-150 for a "good pair", id rather invest that sort of money on a new sound card or stash it away for my future vid card (GF FX someday baby!)

StealthHawk
12-24-02, 05:01 AM

and at around $130-150 for a "good pair", id rather invest that sort of money on a new sound card or stash it away for my future vid card (GF FX someday baby!)

keep in mind that good headphones will last you much longer than a graphics card or even sound card will. graphics cards become seriously outdated after even 6 months. sound cards may have started to reach the plateau where we won't see as many improvements in them unless you start buying more expensive speakers.

Smokey
12-24-02, 05:57 AM

HD212 pro, see my post above ;)

g0at
12-27-02, 01:48 AM
thing is, I once spent $90 on a great pair of headphones... but once they died, about a year after i bought them, they were a year over warranty =(

I wouldnt mind getting them again, but I'm just not able to afford $90 for headphones anymore =\

btw - thanks for the help guys!

randsom
12-27-02, 08:40 AM
go to

www.audioadvisor.com

they always have some great deals on stuff, i got my sennheiser 580s there and a decent headphone amp for 99 bux last year,one of the best deals ive ever got

gafami
12-28-02, 05:57 AM
-

SmuvMoney
02-23-03, 04:15 AM
After seeing this thread and doing some investigation, I am feeling the HD 580 and HD 280. However, I am torn between them. I want one for gaming (leaning towards 580) and one for portable use/working out (leaning towards 280). Newegg had both of them in stock for real cheap with their free FedEx Saver shipping - $150 and $85 respectively. I can't wait to get paid on Friday - soon after that I"ll be :jammin:.

The Baron
02-23-03, 08:32 AM
Well, I got mine I think two years ago, so yeah, those are the ones ;)