PDA

View Full Version : New PC time :D

ralinn
07-12-05, 06:23 PM
Hi guys,

I'm building myself a new PC now and I'm putting the best of everything in it. The only things I'm looking for now is a new HDD. I need it to be quiet but fast and a lot of space :)

I'm also getting meself a new PSU, again I really need a quiet and tidey one though powerful and SLI friendly.

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks for ya time :D

Riptide
07-12-05, 06:36 PM
Western Digital and Seagate both offer nice 250+ GB SATA drives with all the trimmings. WD is a 3 year warranty and Seagate 5 years. Try looking around on newegg. They aren't even real expensive either.

Maxtor makes some Maxline 3 drives w/16MB of cache but I don't know if I like Maxtor much. I've seen a lot of their drives fail.

These two aren't bad choices:
http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-064&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-394&depa=1

jAkUp
07-12-05, 06:49 PM
I would recommend a WD Raptor, but since you need alot of space and quiet, I would recommend the Maxtor 16mb drives.

|MaguS|
07-12-05, 08:40 PM
I would get a Prim 74GB Raptor and get the large drive for a second drive... I basically have two 36GB Raptors, one for OS and the other for Games then 4 other HDs for my Misc Items.

dandano
07-12-05, 09:45 PM
only one hd? why not get two raptors and stripe them together for uber performance!

well, maybe not. i can recommend the maxtor sata drives with 16mb cache. good stuff.

Bluekkis
07-12-05, 11:45 PM
Samsung has quietest HDD's but definately not top performing. Hitatchi has one of te fastest (atleast was sometime ago) but also loudest. Segate is a good middle ground. Not sure about new WD's and Maxtors, old ones were loud as hell.

CaptNKILL
07-12-05, 11:52 PM
I have a Seagate 7200.8 200gig... excelent price, very fast, very quiet and we all know about Seagates track record when it comes to reliability. Fantastic drives :)

LBJM
07-13-05, 12:13 AM
What's your price range?

I suggest a 74GB raptor for your OS and games and get a 2nd larger drive for all other stuff. doing a raid setup with 2x raptors really isn't worth it.

read this
Western Digital's Raptors in RAID-0: Are two drives better than one?
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101

ralinn
07-13-05, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the replies :D

My price range is anything really as I'm buying it all when I get paid. I'm thinking of getting the HDD CaptNKILL has mentioned. I'm not sure about getting 2 HDD's, not really sure how to raid stuff etc :(

Any idea on PSU's? :)

Tr1cK
07-13-05, 12:24 PM
I've never ever had an issue with Maxtors. The ones in my sig have been through MANY system upgrades and have been running RAID0 since they were new about 3-4 years ago. I'm about to replace them with some Diamondmax 10s I'm getting from the for sale/trade forum. :) I hope I continue to have the same luck.

zoomy942
07-13-05, 02:55 PM
i would go with the raptor. true it is loud, but i have one and i am ALL about a silent pc.. so i got this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118215

it 100% silenced the drive. i am very impressed with it

ralinn
07-13-05, 04:44 PM
Nice! Thanks Zoomy :D (urock)

Roliath
07-13-05, 05:23 PM
i would go with the raptor. true it is loud, but i have one and i am ALL about a silent pc.. so i got this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118215

it 100% silenced the drive. i am very impressed with it

Well that fit in the Antec Super Lanboy's harddrive rack?

zoomy942
07-13-05, 10:26 PM
no. i had to move it to a 5.25" bay.

Riptide
07-14-05, 08:43 AM
I don't think the Raptor is that loud... It's not much louder than my wife's 120GB seagate (7200rpm).

saturnotaku
07-14-05, 08:52 AM
I don't think the Raptor is that loud... It's not much louder than my wife's 120GB seagate (7200rpm).

Then you must have hearing damage or a problem with that Seagate. :p

Seriously, though, when I had your drives RAID'ed, their din went over and above the 4 case fans, CPU fan and power supply I had in my machine at the time.

PaiN
07-14-05, 08:59 AM
I switched off two 74gb Raptors to two Seagate 250gb Cuda 7200.8s in RAID 0...I'm very happy with the Cudas, they are bigger, (much)quieter and I notice no performance difference in day to day stuff

BrianG
07-14-05, 09:07 AM
I love my Seagates. Three drives, all of them very quiet and very fast. Unless the case is open, even with the mesh front cover, you can not here the drives when loading the OS.

I know I got a monster deal on them from ZipZoomFly, OEM bare drives with the five year warranty. I recommend the Seagates to anyone building a system.

And I have heard the Raptors. They are loud compared to the Seagates. I don't think you wll ever catch anyone saying they are not loud, they just say they are not "that" loud. HAHAHAHA. The noise insulating solution out there will help.

Riptide
07-14-05, 09:11 AM
It could be my case silencing the noise somewhat. One of the tsunami's strongpoints is that the drive cage has some really nice rubber washers and hefty screws to mount the drives with. This has a discernable effect on seek noise. The seek noise the Seagate barracuda in my wife's Lian Li (without those washers) produces is louder than the Raptor.

zoomy942
07-14-05, 09:25 AM
i have gone to enormous lengths to have a silent pc, without resorting to water cooling. when i tossed in my raptor... all i heard from my pc was the raptor. thats not a bad thing, cause an average sounding pc will mask the raptor's noise. but mine is inaudible, so i had to think of something to quiet the raptor.

Riptide
07-14-05, 09:37 AM
I didn't used to care much about silence. But then a friend of mine showed me how quiet his machine was and let's just say I couldn't help but notice the contrast (he had a shuttle). So now I have my fans turned down as low as they can go and use Zalmans for my CPU/GPU cooling. Short of replacing my raptor, which to me doesn't sound all that loud, there isn't much else I can do except go with water cooling (reserator?). I'm pretty happy with it though. It's not silent but it is pretty quiet.

People that put vantec tornadoes in their machines - I don't know how they can stand that crap.

zoomy942
07-14-05, 09:50 AM
yeah. those loud fans are horrible. there is a common thought to average users that faster, and more fans means cooler pc's. wrong. i have a small number of large fans, turning slowly, and my pc is quiet and cool. its all about air movement, not air quantity

Riptide
07-14-05, 10:32 AM
I have 2 120mm enermax fans on their lowest setting, the two zalman coolers, and a 120mm fan in my power supply. Not silent, but very quiet by my estimation. I would like to achieve total silence but I'm not real thrilled with the cost of the reserator not to mention you would still want a fan or two running in the case to cool your RAM and then there's the power supply fan... It's really practically impossible to completely get away from fans if you have a relatively high end machine.

I could probably take a Pentium 3 and make it completely silent though. Just use a passively cooled GPU and a fanless power supply for it.