PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting BSOD nv4_disp infinite loop crashes with SLI?

lowdog
07-12-05, 10:08 PM
Just want to get some feedback. Get this problem with my Abit Fatality AN8-SLI with the bios 15 that supports x2 cpu's. Also get the problem with Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with bios 1011 which supports x2 cpu's.

I'm using a Venice cpu atm and getting an x2 a little later.

Whenever I run any game it either crashes instantly or within minutes to a bsod with the nv4_disp infinite loop error.

Anyone getting this or know about it?

Using forceware 77.72 and 2 x 7800GTX :confused:

-=DVS=-
07-12-05, 11:35 PM
Only with SLI , single card doesn't crash ? could be power issue.

lowdog
07-13-05, 12:06 AM
Nah mate it isn't a psu related problem. I think it's something to do with the mobos bios/x2 support/sli.

ChrisRay
07-13-05, 12:22 AM
No, I dont get this. I do get an unusual BSOD with some random .wmv which I think is related with high def WMV...

Zurble
07-13-05, 02:22 AM
i have A8N-SLI Deluxe with 1011 and SLI 7800 GTX
i also have a venice 3000+ on it, the whole thing being overclocked

my power supply is OCZ 520 Modstream (12V at 28 A i thnik)

i Had 1 bsod when installing the second 7800 card, but it was related to my CPU being overclocked to 4100+ at only 1.425 V (wanted to keep it low). I bumped to 1.4375 V, no problem since (no BSOD i meant)

probably more power drawn to GPU and a little less to CPU (althought my voltage are very stable idle/load)

edit: also on 77.72

OWA
07-13-05, 12:24 PM
I don't normally get BSODs (although I've probably gotten one or two) but I've been getting hard locks in some games. I'm actually having a heck of a time trying to get things stable. Things seem fine when in 2D but once 3D kicks in, I start having stability problems. Underclocking my cards to 400 helped a lot but didn't completely solve it. Changing memory helped a lot (actually, I thought this did the trick at first) but didn't completely solve it. With different memory, a lot of the locks are soft now meaning I can still kill the game and not have to reboot. I tried putting a huge fan blowing into the case to see if it was a temperature issue and that didn't seem to help. I seem to be fine using just one card. I'm now using one card and plan to run a few days with it to see if I have any problems. Then I'll switch to the other card and run it for a few days to see how that goes. After that, who knows. Maybe I'll try another power supply next. Oh, I've tried various bioses for my motherboard but haven't tried using different chipset drivers. I guess I could try various versions of that. I've tried different graphics drivers and that doesn't seem to change anything.

lowdog
07-14-05, 07:56 AM
Went back to bios 1008 for the Asus A8N-SLI and no more bsod. So it seems everytime I have tried a bios with X2 support like the 1011 for Asus A8N-SLI D and the 15 for Abit Fatality AN8-SLI both boards bsod when running games and 3D apps. :confused:

Scott@Bjorn3D
07-14-05, 09:05 AM
I have had mine just turn off when doing 3D games every now and then. Started after going SLI with the 7800's. I should have enough power.

MikeC
07-15-05, 12:24 AM
Whenever I run any game it either crashes instantly or within minutes to a bsod with the nv4_disp infinite loop error.After two days of pulling out what hair I had left, I have finally documented the procedure I am going through to either enable or disable SLI after a fresh install of Windows XP Professional and Service Pack 2. Seriously... :)

To Enable SLI
==========

100 Enable SLI via Driver Control Panel
200 System Automatically Restarts
300 BSOD as Windows Loads (nv4_disp infinite loop)
400 Power System Off Manually
500 Power System On Manually
600 Boot into Safe Mode
700 Turn System Off (via Windows)
800 Power System On Manually
900 Windows Boots Normally & SLI is Enabled
950 Turn System Off (via Windows) or Restart System (via Windows) or Power System Off Manually
999 Go to 300

To Disable SLI
===========

100 Disable SLI via Driver Control Panel
200 System Automatically Restarts
300 Windows Boots Normally & SLI is Disabled

then do the following

400 Turn System Off (via Windows) or Restart System (via Windows) or Power System Off Manually

and the following chain of events take place

500 Windows Boots Normally & Ability to Enable/Disable SLI in Driver Control Panel Disappears
600 Turn System Off (via Windows) or Restart System (via Windows)
700 Boot into Safe Mode
800 Turn System Off (via Windows)
850 Turn System On Manually
900 Windows Boots Normally & Ability to Enable/Disable SLI in Driver Control Panel Appears
950 Turn System Off (via Windows) or Restart System (via Windows) or Power System Off Manually
999 Go to 500

I basically end up having to boot into safe mode and turn the system off from there in order for Windows to boot normally after enabling or disabling SLI. As long as I don't restart or power off the system after that, I am good to go :)

This process occurred with the same two retail GeForce 7800 GTX graphics cards (ForceWare 77.72 drivers) installed on two different retail nForce 4 SLI motherboards (nForce AMD 6.53 drivers).

This weekend I will test the following beta drivers - 80.40, 77.62, 77.50, 77.30, and 77.13.

Scott@Bjorn3D
07-15-05, 06:27 AM
Wow Mike!! That is really sucking. Do both of the cards have the same BIOS? It just sounds like something with the cards.

lowdog
07-15-05, 06:47 AM
Mike.

What mobo's were they?

What bios versions were you running on the mobo's? Does the bios version support x2 cpu's, and what sort of cpu are you running?

With both my boards (Abit Fatality AN8-SLI and Asus A8N_SLI Deluxe) both would work in a dual card sli configuration with my Venice 3500 with bios rev's that supported E cpu's.

Once I tried a bios rev that had X2 cpu support both boards exhibited problems when running a dual card sli configuration. The Asus I haven't had for long - a few days and haven't tested much, but the Abit I had for a month and it ran rock solid with bios 13 which supported E cpu's but once I flashed to bios 15 which had X2 support the Abit wouldn't even run any 3D game or app with dual card sli config. Sli functionality was completely broken to the point that no game would initalize, it would just bsod with the nv_disp infinite loop message.

The Asus would start a game or 3D benchmark with the 1011 bios that has x2 support, but within either seconds or a few minutes it would bsod with the nv_disp infinite loop blah blah message, flashed the board to the 1008 bios with E cpu support and no more bsod.

Need to get an X2 and see if the same thing happens with the X2 bioses or not.

It's all a little daunting for me atm, bloody pain in the A$$ really. :(

EekTheKat
07-15-05, 08:07 AM
In my case I get a lockup instead of a bluescreen. But from what I can tell, it has to do with going into the Nvidia display control panel with the 77.72 drivers. If I never use the Nvidia control panel and use something like nhancer, I won't get a crash. But if I go into the Nvidia control panel, change a setting, hit apply and start up a 3d game, it'll lock up hard right there on the spot.

77.30 was the only driver set for me that didn't exhibit this weird behavior.

I'm on an a8n-sli deluxe and 2x6800GT's.

MikeC
07-15-05, 10:29 AM
Mike.

What mobo's were they?

What bios versions were you running on the mobo's? Does the bios version support x2 cpu's, and what sort of cpu are you running?The motherboards I tested were the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and MSI K8N Neo4/SLI both of which were running an Athlon 64 4000+. The A8N uses BIOS version 1006, which does not have support for the X2 CPU. The MSI board is new and I haven't paid attention to the BIOS version since the troubleshooting I've done thus far wasn't BIOS related.

MikeC
07-15-05, 10:32 AM
Both cards have the same BIOS. But I have resolved the problem by using the 77.50 reference drivers.

MikeC
07-15-05, 11:30 AM
I've got some good news to report as I was able to solve my problem by using the reference 77.50 drivers. I should have used the 77.50 drivers right off the bat since that was the version MSI bundled with the GeForce 7800 GTX review unit they provided.

But the reason I didn't use the 77.50 driver after switching to the MSI K8N Neo4/SLI motherboard was that they did not resolve the same problem I had when I first installed the MSI 7800 GTX on the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. However, I wasn't running with a clean install of Windows XP on the Asus motherboard, which may have had an effect.

Scott@Bjorn3D
07-15-05, 12:31 PM
Glad you got it fixed Mike, have a great weekend now you are up and running.