PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 updates

Pages : [1] 2

mblue
07-13-05, 10:08 AM
I am wanting to purchase HL2, but since I have moved to the country I lost my cable modem. Is it possable to down load the updates from another PC, say at work and run them when at home?

mblue
07-13-05, 02:04 PM
No one has tried this?

Rayman1968
07-13-05, 02:20 PM
I think this is what you'd have to do...

Install HL2 on work PC,
Update HL2,
Run Steam backup program to backup HL2 (saved games and configs will not be backed up),
Burn the backup files to CD,
Install Steam client on home PC,
Install backup from CD's.

You will need an internet connection to install Steam and the backups on the home PC.

Again, I think this is a way to do it. If someone knows for certain please correct me.

mblue
07-13-05, 04:03 PM
Well I bought it so I will find out.

brady
07-13-05, 05:03 PM
I think this is what you'd have to do...

Install HL2 on work PC,
Update HL2,
Run Steam backup program to backup HL2 (saved games and configs will not be backed up),
Burn the backup files to CD,
Install Steam client on home PC,
Install backup from CD's.

You will need an internet connection to install Steam and the backups on the home PC.

Again, I think this is a way to do it. If someone knows for certain please correct me.

yes that will work.

i have to say that when i saw this thread title i thought there was a new update for hl2...for a brief moment i thought lost coast was out. :rolleyes:

bagman
07-13-05, 10:50 PM
Will this procedure work if I want to transfer HL2 from my old PC to my new one, or do I have to install as fresh on new PC and go through the whole procedure of setting up a Steam account again ??
I recall reading somewhere that another way to do this is to make a back-up of C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ (all files) and then install this on yur new PC.
What is the best way ??

cheers
Bagman

killahsin
07-14-05, 03:34 AM
this way will work regardless of the pc/specs, it is basically like owning hl2 or such on a dvd or cd's. Best bet is to just activate it with one of those free internet things real fast to just to authenticate or install steam etc etc.

mblue
07-14-05, 07:32 AM
It worked, thanks.

Oh, sorry for the confusion with the title to anyone that thought this dealt with new updates.

bagman
07-15-05, 06:36 PM
mblue or brady.....can yu please explain in a little more detail how yu would go about transferring HL2 from one PC to another, using the Steam backup program.
I have run this and burnt the file to a DVD.
What are the next steps ?
Do I install the game on the new PC and then install the backup files ??
What do yu mean when yu say........ "You will need an internet connection to install Steam and the backups on the home PC."

I must be having some sort of brain meltdown as I can't quite gather what to do from yur advice

cheers and thanks in advance
Bagman

Rayman1968
07-15-05, 07:32 PM
Install the basic steam client on your new PC. On the DVD you should see "SteamBackup HL2 disk 1.exe". Without Steam running, double click it.

You'll need an active internet connection to verify your login.

That should be all you need to do.

Unless you manually copied your Saved folder it's gone. The backup does not copy this or config files.

bagman
07-16-05, 02:05 AM
Hi Rayman1968
Many thks for responding, appreciated.
I am not really this stupid normally but......
When yu say "install basic Steam client" is that from my HalfLife 2 game disc?
The file that was saved after using the Steam backup was named "SteamBackup HalfLife 2"....the type of file says application, but I assume that is the same as what yu are saying when yu say "On the DVD you should see "SteamBackup HL2 disk 1.exe".
Once again, appreciate yu assistance

cheers

Rayman1968
07-16-05, 02:58 AM
Download and install this file on the new PC;

http://www.fileplanet.com/127009/120000/fileinfo/Steam-Client-[Win32]

Connect to the internet to login when required (you do have a Steam id correct?), then run the backup you created on the DVD disc.

mblue
07-18-05, 06:36 AM
Sorry for the late reply, but yes you go through the complete install. Then when completed instead of launching the game and it looking for updates you exit steam and run the first disc you created (assuming 700mb size not DVD) and then it's pretty much on auto pilot.

AngelGraves13
07-19-05, 02:28 AM
why not just copy the the SteamApps folder and avoid the slow and annoying backup DVD/CD.

AngelGraves13
07-22-05, 07:31 PM
when is an update coming with support for the 7800? It doesn't seem to recognize the card and recommends lower settings than a 6800.

brady
07-22-05, 08:00 PM
when is an update coming with support for the 7800? It doesn't seem to recognize the card and recommends lower settings than a 6800.

im sure according to valve thats actually not thier problem but a problem with your hardware. probably caused by overheating. they may release an update in a few months that addresses the issue, but it will do so in name only. after that you will still have the problem and even though you and thousands of others will continue to experience it, your ticket will be closed and valve will swear that the problem has been repaired. :rolleyes:

Rakeesh
07-22-05, 08:15 PM
im sure according to valve thats actually not thier problem but a problem with your hardware. probably caused by overheating. they may release an update in a few months that addresses the issue, but it will do so in name only. after that you will still have the problem and even though you and thousands of others will continue to experience it, your ticket will be closed and valve will swear that the problem has been repaired. :rolleyes:

Then when you reopen the ticket, they'll wait 5 months to reply, and in that reply they ask you for your msinfo32 report, even though you gave them one the first time around.

brady
07-22-05, 08:32 PM
Then when you reopen the ticket, they'll wait 5 months to reply, and in that reply they ask you for your msinfo32 report, even though you gave them one the first time around.

and then to divert attention from the serious bug they overlooked during the development of the game engine they will announce a fantastic update which will include some very cool next gen effects.

Acid Rain
07-22-05, 10:00 PM
and then to divert attention from the serious bug they overlooked during the development of the game engine they will announce a fantastic update which will include some very cool next gen effects.And promise it late spring; early summer at the very latest, then, without a word, delay it after confirmation that R520 will be delayed.

On R520 release, Valve finds the chip to run the new content poorly in comparison to NV's part. Based on this, without a word to anyone, Valve scraps the project, which they'd completed many months prior, and never mentions it again.

I couldn't help myself :p

AngelGraves13
07-23-05, 02:12 AM
the problem is the source engine and drivers 77.xx they're like oil and water! they don't mix well. Either nvidia has got to fix this and valve has to update their engine to support the newer drivers correctly. This will be my last Valve game ever! If they don't fix this, I will not buy their mission pack...what's the point if I can't play it?

brady
07-23-05, 06:05 AM
yeah that does stink. have you been able to find others with the same problem? dont know what to tell you since i still have a lowly 6800gt. i mean sheesh im so last gen its not even funny ;) .

in other news valve just threw us another crumb to nibble on. lost coast is "near complete" and will be "released soon". :rolleyes:

superklye
07-23-05, 10:58 AM
in other news valve just threw us another crumb to nibble on. lost coast is "near complete" and will be "released soon". :rolleyes:
AND there's "new stuff" that "hasn't been mentioned before"...

Seph gPu
07-23-05, 11:18 AM
maybe the "new stuff" never mentioned before is a fix for the stuttering? Or am I an idiot for thinking that $49.99 would get me a decent gaming experience from Valve?

As far as Lost Coast coming "soon"....I read that on an update they released in May. "soon" in valve terms is "when we feel like".

Rakeesh
07-23-05, 12:22 PM
and then to divert attention from the serious bug they overlooked during the development of the game engine they will announce a fantastic update which will include some very cool next gen effects.

Or they'll drop your support ticket after it has been open for 3 months simply because a new patch came out, and they *think* it might fix your issue (they really don't even bother to look,) only for you to find out that their patch doesn't even remotely address your problem, and then you have to reopen the ticket and start waiting the 5 months all over again. (yep, this happened to me as well)

Acid Rain
07-23-05, 08:03 PM
in other news valve just threw us another crumb to nibble on. lost coast is "near complete" and will be "released soon". :rolleyes:Sounds like the r520 story.