PDA

View Full Version : Sudde, bizzare, and inexplicable hardware failure

bloody cavum
07-13-05, 08:57 PM
To start, I tend to leave my computer on all day (even while I'm at work) -- and since I built it last christmas, I've had no problems with this. However, this past week, my computer has been just shutting down, usually while running a graphic-intensive program (I can think of three instances in which it crashed shortly after loading a map in the crytek sandbox editor...strangely, though, after turning it back on and repeating, i was able to use the program for hours...). I turned down the clock speeds on my video card (stock speed is something like...249/501, and i typically OC to 400/600 (don't remember because i set it soooo long ago). But for many months it has been running stable under these conditions, usually mantaining a temperature of 55-or-so degrees celsius and occasionally breaching 60 while under a good amount duress from a 3d application -- and i'm told this is the lowest point on the warning scale. However, as i never experienced any unexplainable hitching or, more importantly, graphical artifacts and anamolies, i lt it slide and never invested in better cooling.

So anyway when i came home from work on wednesday, I motioned to 'reawake' my computer by moving the mouse...i switched my monitor on only to be greeted with the dead, orange, "no-connection" Led shining brightly above the power button. The computer was still running --i could see my case fan LEDs, as well as hear the harddrive and GPU fan when i opened the case -- but the monitor had stopped responding. I restarted. Same thing: computer turns on, runs, but monitor offers no response. I test the monitor out on my old dell (sporting a radeon 9100 pci), which worked perfecly prior to my retiring it, and encountered the same issue.

so today, i run out and buy this used sony monitor (it was big and cheap) and go home and plug it in. Same problem. So i test it on my dell...and it works. The monitor looks like CRAP but it works (on the dell). doesn't work on my other, newer computer at all. So I am left asking myself...W...T....F....I tested several video cards (the dell's radeon 9100, and a geforce 5500) in my new PC, and all turned out the same results: computer turns on, runs seemingly fine, but the monitor doesn't ever receive a signal.

This is a quandary for me, as i've never seen something so bizzare before. What stopped working so that the computer willl still run, yet display no image? I'm stumped...Oh, and my specs are:

P4 2.8 LGA 775
512 MB kingston dual channel ram (i want 2 gbs)
80 GB Maxtor SATA HD
gigabyte 8a915p duo mobo
gigabyte geforce 6600 OC

I'm really led to think that there is something wrong with the motherboard, but i am really not sure, and i don't want to waste any more money on fake solutions (I'm going to pull an 'office space' on that monitor i just bought ...i just can't wait to see it shatter in thousands of tiny pieces). but seriously, i need some help bad. Thanks you very much.

So today, i run down to this cheapo store and buy a sony for

LBJM
07-14-05, 04:10 AM
nice double thread post..

I'm going to treat this like the first monitor is dead. only dealing with the cheapo sony and your new system. shut everything off. I mean everything. Now are there any speakers or subs near the monitor? if so remove them and put them on the other side of your room or somewhere else more than 10' (thats feet) away with your new hardware. on turn it on does the system post ie do you see stuff on the screen before it goes to windows?

lets say the answer is still no. does the system make beeps? if it only makes one beep just ignore it unless it's repeating. I want you to shut everything down. turn it all off.

open the case and look everywhere on the motherboard ram cpu etc for any burn marks if it doesn't have any on to the next step. use a damn flashlight

relocate your new system and cheapo sony to a different part of your home I mean different room and different power outlet. try it out.

PSYCHODAD
07-14-05, 04:31 AM
Had a similar problem some time ago and it turned out that one of the rails on a cheapo power supply had died.

Took me a little while to figure that one out, new psu fixed it.

Your prob may be something totally different, just a thought.

bloody cavum
07-14-05, 09:39 AM
nice double thread post..

ain't it? :p I'm using a crapple right now, and it does everything slo~w and i wasn't sure if it had submitted the post like i asked because it stood idle for about 4 minutes.

I'm going to treat this like the first monitor is dead. only dealing with the cheapo sony and your new system. shut everything off. I mean everything. Now are there any speakers or subs near the monitor? if so remove them and put them on the other side of your room or somewhere else more than 10' (thats feet) away with your new hardware. on turn it on does the system post ie do you see stuff on the screen before it goes to windows?

lets say the answer is still no. does the system make beeps? if it only makes one beep just ignore it unless it's repeating. I want you to shut everything down. turn it all off.

open the case and look everywhere on the motherboard ram cpu etc for any burn marks if it doesn't have any on to the next step. use a damn flashlight

relocate your new system and cheapo sony to a different part of your home I mean different room and different power outlet. try it out.

Well, when i came home on wednesday, the computer was still on. howver, when i turned it off, i did check for burn marks and didn't find any. I also have already tried relocating the system to both a diferent plug AND power strip. When i switched to a different powerstrip, the old monitor worked once (this was before i ran out and bought the cheap/awful sony) for a period of about five minutes; it shut down shortly after starting the sandbox editor (right as i had used the PS2 offset shader on a flor...i never got to see how it looked :( ).
I moved the speakers to a different oom and the PC worked...shortly after, it shut down. I re-attached the speakers and got repeat fireworks. Oh, and i get a single startup beep. So apparantly, the computer and monitor appear to work randomly...Jesus h. christ...I really think it has somthing to do with the cheap PSU that came with the case; butcha git whatcha pay fer.

thanks for the help...I could use some more advice, though, before spending more money on something i might not necessarilly need.

LBJM
07-14-05, 02:27 PM
that's my next path is the power supply. disconnect everything power wise in the system that includes the hard drives cdrom/DVD but not the video card(if it has a power connector) and the motherboard see if it will post with the old monitor. if it does go into the bios and leave it on for 10 minutes just to make sure it won't repeat itself. if you still have the problem with only the motherboard hooked up but I'm sure it won't though. the problem it related to one of three things cpu/mb/ram. chances are it's the power or motherboard if you never turn your system off even at night this increases usually lead to power supply or motherboard failure do to heat. unless of course the system is in a room that's 30C like a server farm.

lets say it worked slowly attach a new device to the system powering the system down before adding a new device untill it starts doing what it's been doing. Once you've found the problem your probably going to need a new power supply. if you have one in mind make sure it has enough wattage for your system, if not someone suggested this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182004
it's 500watts and
it's currently $46.98 shipped

Roadhog
07-14-05, 03:52 PM
i'm having a similar problem, the pc will power up, but no post, monitor doesnt turn on. Tried everything, I think its the PSU. All i get is a message "System failed CPU Check"

Roadhog
07-15-05, 07:54 PM
i found the problem, read this thread. Its the PSU.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/18608/?o=0

bloody cavum
07-15-05, 11:04 PM
indeed, the consensus seems to be that the root of my problem is indeed the PSU. Thanks for the help fellas -- i appreciate it a lot.