PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 7800 GTX Temp

Pages : [1] 2

JamieS
07-14-05, 01:14 AM
Without overclocking (460/1300) I noticed that my card has been running around 75c-86c (top) during a long stint of gaming. 65c idle.

Is that too hot? I mean, I do have a lifetime warranty, but should slow my card down?

Jamie

ChrisRay
07-14-05, 01:17 AM
No thats not too hot. You're tempatures are fine. Game on.

JamieS
07-14-05, 01:25 AM
No thats not too hot. You're tempatures are fine. Game on.

Thanks for the quick reply. Assuming I try to OC the card is it temperature that becomes the limiting factor? When I tried to go to 480 I did get some artifacts, if I was to improve cooling of the card would I have the potential of OC'ing higher? I assume so.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

jAkUp
07-14-05, 01:28 AM
Temp is not always the limiting factor. It could also be voltage.

eva2000
07-14-05, 01:14 PM
seems to be the norm my BFG 7800GTX idle 50-53C and load 76C

jAkUp
07-14-05, 01:20 PM
Sorry for the OT qustion, what kinda OC are you getting on your 3700+?

keith33
07-14-05, 02:14 PM
Without overclocking (460/1300) I noticed that my card has been running around 75c-86c (top) during a long stint of gaming. 65c idle.

Is that too hot? I mean, I do have a lifetime warranty, but should slow my card down?

Jamie

From my experience with this card, it's certainly not too hot, but it's nearing that borderline where you probably shouldn't be overclocking with an idle of like 65 idle. How's your cooling in your case? I have a ****ty WaveMaster case and I'm getting like 51 idle, 67 full load. Did you try opening up the PCI slot below your card in your case? Or check to see if any obstructions are below the card's airflow. You might want to get the temperature a little lower before OC'ing it. Also, my eVGA can run fine without artifacts at 495 and 1320, and your card should have a higher ceiling being BFG, so 485 seems kind of odd. Good luck though.

littlegreenguy
07-14-05, 08:05 PM
Ok ok ok, wait a min here. This is serious. I have a TT armor with plenty of ventilation and nothing obstructing these cards. Room temps are around 22C.

Each card idles at around 60 at stock. How can someone have a card idling at 51/52 with what is basically the same ref. card? My card overclocks to 475 in sli with no problems but I don't like the heat (73C+). As that guy on spike tv says "What is going on?" :eek:

keith33
07-14-05, 08:10 PM
Ok ok ok, wait a min here. This is serious. I have a TT armor with plenty of ventilation and nothing obstructing these cards. Room temps are around 22C.

Each card idles at around 60 at stock. How can someone have a card idling at 51/52 with what is basically the same ref. card? My card overclocks to 475 in sli with no problems but I don't like the heat (73C+). As that guy on spike tv says "What is going on?" :eek:

Your cards will be naturally hotter because they heat up the inside of your case much more than a single card. Also the top card doesn't have a lot of ventilation because the 2nd card is right under. The deviation in temperatures is usually all about the air flow in your case and nothing more, if it's extreme then perhaps the heatsink wasn't attached properly and you can apply some AS5 on it. 60 idle in SLi is really not bad, you shouldn't worry about it unless you have stability issues. Just FYI I yanked everything IDE from my computer to get rid of the bloody cables to open up the airflow more, and got a modular psu to remove the clutter and people are still getting lower temps than I have. Also, sooner or later there will be a silencer for the 7 series if you really want to cool them better, just hold tight for now.

jAkUp
07-14-05, 08:13 PM
Hopefully the Silencers for the 7800GTX's will be thinner to allow all SLI boards to work :)

littlegreenguy
07-14-05, 08:26 PM
keith,

thanks for your response. i will try opening up some of the pci slot covers...

5150 Joker
07-14-05, 08:30 PM
Hell if you're gonna spend the money on an SLI setup, might as well go all the way and get yourself some watercooling. Mine idles at 42C and load is around 47C. This is while the cooling fans for the radiator are run at a really low rpm (the psu controls them) and sometimes they are completely off! So as you can imagine my desktop is very quiet.

littlegreenguy
07-14-05, 08:32 PM
to afraid of the water...the swiftech h120 rev 3a looks great but man oh man...the risk of leakage just keeps was away...

5150 Joker
07-14-05, 08:42 PM
to afraid of the water...the swiftech h120 rev 3a looks great but man oh man...the risk of leakage just keeps was away...

If done properly there is very little risk of leakage. Just do a leak test while your major components have not been installed in the PC to make sure everything is good. It's totally worth it though because you get much less noise, better cooling and way less dust build up.

OWA
07-14-05, 09:13 PM
My bottom card idles at 45C and the top one is 48C. I just have two low-speed 120cm fans in the case. So, the idle temps seem a little high to me but like others have said, they're still well within the operating specs. Under load I'm not sure about mine but checking immediately after exiting a game they were in the 70s so it's probably in the 80s (at least) under load.

Oh, the ASUS board has more room between the two slots so that might be helping me some with the idle temps, etc.

mx125race
07-14-05, 09:26 PM
off topic:

on Hmonitor, if you've heard it, it monitors your PC through sensors in your parts...it says that my HD is in the high 40's while gaming? thats ok right?

littlegreenguy
07-14-05, 09:32 PM
Ok guys but how can case ventilation in my case contribute to a 10c difference in idle temp. I have checked the cooler and it is well secured (really don't think that could be it).

The only thing I tried that kinda helped was reversing the flow of the rear 120mm exhaust fan.

Have a look and tell me what you think.

keith33
07-14-05, 09:51 PM
Well I'm not going to lie, that's a pretty clean case. Like OWA said, your DFI board positions the cards really close to each other and are probably accumulating the heat. I think Jakup has a similar setup with the SLI-DR, I can't remember if he has water or not though.

In addition to this, your big ass Thermaltake heatsink is blowing hot San Diego air all over the top GTX is it not?

If you want to spend like $40 you can try one of those old school pci slot fan thingies that push the air out of the case, I've seen a guy on a forum take the fan out of them and it basically redirects the hot air from the video cards outside instead of back into the case. I'm sorry I can't remember a name for them but it eludes me right now.

Also, just out of curiousity, run a game with the side of the case open, see if it makes a big difference, then you'll know you need air from the side.

littlegreenguy
07-14-05, 10:35 PM
you're gonna have to trust me on this one but the beetle actually improved my temps over the zalman 7000b cu n i had previously. It is a superior heatsink by far. I wanted to get a thermalright but not many people carrying them offered international shipping. apart from that i think the beetle is ugly as sin.

ok with case off...if i put my hand on the ram sink on the lower card it is too hot for me to leave my finger there for more than 5 or 6 seconds.

after about 5 min of the case off...not a shat different... 1-2 degrees less for both cards. room tempt - exactly 25.4 degrees c.

i give up. do i have to buy that swiftech now? :thumbdwn:

Banko
07-14-05, 11:16 PM
I idle at 50C and load around 75.

kam03
07-15-05, 08:41 AM
you're gonna have to trust me on this one but the beetle actually improved my temps over the zalman 7000b cu n i had previously. It is a superior heatsink by far. I wanted to get a thermalright but not many people carrying them offered international shipping. apart from that i think the beetle is ugly as sin.

ok with case off...if i put my hand on the ram sink on the lower card it is too hot for me to leave my finger there for more than 5 or 6 seconds.

after about 5 min of the case off...not a shat different... 1-2 degrees less for both cards. room tempt - exactly 25.4 degrees c.

i give up. do i have to buy that swiftech now? :thumbdwn:

i idle at 49 C (room temp 26.5 C)
Load 79 C (room temp 27.5 C)

I have an Antec Plus view case with 2 fans on PSU, 2 fans at the back blowing air out and 1 fan on the front taking air in and 1 fan on the side panel, which is blowing directly on the graphics card. The problem with your case is you dont have a fan on your side panel, which helps keep the graphics card cooler.

Mesce
07-15-05, 08:41 AM
I idle at 42 and uner load it goes to 49 during intensive gaming. Water cooling does indeed rule this is at 480/1300

eva2000
07-15-05, 09:58 AM
sunon 92x38mm 120cfm fan on rheobus at 1/2 speed blowing on back side of my BFG 7800GTXs lowered idle temps from 53C to 45C and allowed me to clock my stock cooled mem from 1386mhz to 1397mhz

rohit
07-15-05, 01:08 PM
in most of the Cases, the Rear 120mm Fan blows Hot air outside, its opposite in yourr case.
and a Fan that blows air into the case from either Front/ or from the side panel helps greatly in reducing the temps of vga cards.
read some article on grantsdale/prescott/pci-express compatible cases, it will help a lot.

littlegreenguy
07-16-05, 11:05 AM
UPDATE on high idle temps:

I removed one of the slot covers between the cards and removed my audigy 2 card, set the exhaust fan back to default operation and voila...54 on top card/56 on bottom idle temps...nearly 10 degress difference :eek: . Also I had upgraded to forecware 6.66 drivers at the same time. Not sure if that could really affect anything...

Regardless I'm more confident at my 475/1300 oc settings now.

Thanks for everyones input!

(Also, I only tried the exhaust fan on reverse recently to see if it would help...as you could probably surmise, it didnt)