PDA

View Full Version : An ATI owner converted to NVIDIA

Pages : [1] 2

chief barker
07-14-05, 12:32 PM
Hi guys, :)

I have just bought a 7800 gtx, Previously i had an X800XT.

I have set up my graphics card and everthing is running great.

Has anyone got any tips on maximizing my enjoyment of this card? As i am new to nvidia gfx cards.

Thanks in advance.

Shocky
07-14-05, 12:39 PM
Hi guys, :)

I have just bought a 7800 gtx, Previously i had an X800XT.

I have set up my graphics card and everthing is running great.

Has anyone got any tips on maximizing my enjoyment of this card? As i am new to nvidea gfx cards.

Thanks in advance.

I still don't see why its needed to have the next generation available now, I can still play all my games at high res with aa/af enabled... I think Ati are doing the right thing in waiting a bit longer.. Congrats though, I'm just jealous btw :angel:

Spiker
07-14-05, 01:04 PM
Nvidia's 6800's are still monsters and they are releasing another monster! I wonder what they have in store for us when Fudo comes out lol. I think Nvidia is going in Full Force and isn't stopping. They already had their bad luck with the FX line.

gram_vaz
07-14-05, 01:06 PM
not an upgrade i would have made but hey, you got that new aa technique unique to the 7800gtx. :thumbsup:

jolle
07-14-05, 01:23 PM
Install nHancer, setup your profiles (I guess 4xTSAA forced in any game that doesnt have its own control, and 8xS fo the even older hehe).
I think the profiles was the biggest driver improvment for me when I went from my 9700pro -> 6800GT.. no more changing settings before launching the game.

rohit
07-14-05, 01:28 PM
..And almost three times the performance of 68ultra with HDR enabled...

avirox
07-14-05, 01:40 PM
..And almost three times the performance of 68ultra with HDR enabled...
And by the time mainstream games use HDR the 7800GTX will be passed gen.

jAkUp
07-14-05, 02:28 PM
It's spelled "nvidia"

:D

OWA
07-14-05, 02:40 PM
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Far Cry aren't mainstream games?

jAkUp
07-14-05, 02:43 PM
Don't forget lego star wars! ;)

Seraphim
07-14-05, 02:48 PM
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Far Cry aren't mainstream games?

4x AA makes the whole image look a lot better, especially the new modes on the 7800 series. HDR doesn't work with AA on, and it just makes the lights a bit more intense. I have an OCed 6800 GT, I have tried SC CT and FarCry with HDR and it is a cheesy gimmick at best.

You can have my AA when you pry it from my cold dead hand.

jAkUp
07-14-05, 02:50 PM
I preferred HDR at 1600x1200 with 16xAF... Yea, a little bit of jaggies, but not too many at 1600x1200

Acid Rain
07-14-05, 03:37 PM
Here we go again :rolleyes:

Advice, try digital vibrance at 25% or so, and use nhancer to set up all of your games individually. Once you're done, the games will each use setting you specify without any further intervention/tweaking from you.

Zurble
07-14-05, 03:38 PM
i thnik we all jump from ati to nvidia to ati...
i got myself a geforce 3 then jumped on the 9700 pro and now back to 7800 GTX

i do the same for intel/amd
i got a PIII 800 then AXA 1Ghz athlon (nice overclocker) then back to P4 HT 3Ghz and now again a AMD64 venice ...

all great overclockers, all great performers at their times...

5150 Joker
07-14-05, 04:00 PM
I still don't see why its needed to have the next generation available now, I can still play all my games at high res with aa/af enabled... I think Ati are doing the right thing in waiting a bit longer.. Congrats though, I'm just jealous btw :angel:

Yeah right try BF 2 at native resolution for me (1680x1050) with all the eye candy and tell me it's not needed. If anything I wish nVidia would have released a 32 pipe card since even the GTX isn't powerful enough. Now I'm strongly considering SLI though I'm waiting to see what ATi offers. I was going to go to an ATi card for sure but realized it would mean having to change motherboards again for Crossfire so I may just stay with nVidia for the longterm.

chief barker
07-14-05, 04:01 PM
It's spelled "nvidia"

:D

Hey as i said 'any tips to enhance my experience with my new card'

What's the point in spell checking?

Let's have some information that i can use eh?

GamerGuyX
07-14-05, 04:02 PM
Let's have some information that i can use eh?

Well if he wouldn't of said it I would of...

OWA
07-14-05, 05:02 PM
4x AA makes the whole image look a lot better, especially the new modes on the 7800 series. HDR doesn't work with AA on, and it just makes the lights a bit more intense. I have an OCed 6800 GT, I have tried SC CT and FarCry with HDR and it is a cheesy gimmick at best.

You can have my AA when you pry it from my cold dead hand.
I don't agree although in Far Cry it is overdone in parts. I wouldn't play SCCT without HDR now that I've played with it on. I was even playing at 1024x768 at one point just to keep HDR enabled and framerates up. Thankfully the retail version was a little more optimized so I could bump it up to 1280x1024 but even then still hit the 20s often. Now I play at 16x12 with HDR and it looks great!

HDR does more than make the lights intense. It also adds the effect of your eyes adjusting to bright lights which is really cool.

Ideally, yeah, I'd like both enabled but I'll take well-done HDR over AA for now especially if I can play it at 1600x1200 making the jaggies a lot less noticeable.

5150 Joker
07-14-05, 05:10 PM
Well the reason AA doesn't matter as much when HDR is enabled is because typically HDR in these games is used in dark environnments where AA has less of an impact. SCCT and Far Cry both mainly showed off HDR in a dark environment.

jolle
07-14-05, 05:13 PM
Well the reason AA doesn't matter as much when HDR is enabled is because typically HDR in these games is used in dark environnments where AA has less of an impact. SCCT and Far Cry both mainly showed off HDR in a dark environment.

Wouldnt agree about Farcry tho..
The big "thing" was when you went from dark to bright areas, or vice versa, and that would demonstrate the Auto Exposure bit..
That was the cool part about it..

angshuman
07-14-05, 05:30 PM
Well if he wouldn't of said it I would of...

I beg your pardon? :confused:

GamerGuyX
07-14-05, 07:08 PM
I beg your pardon? :confused:

jAkUp told him that he spelled "Nvidia" wrong and chief barker proceeded to have a little hissy fit about it. I was merely telling him that I would of said the same thing jAkUp did.

5150 Joker
07-14-05, 07:23 PM
Wouldnt agree about Farcry tho..
The big "thing" was when you went from dark to bright areas, or vice versa, and that would demonstrate the Auto Exposure bit..
That was the cool part about it..

In FC most of the HDR I came across was in the tunnel areas with light shining down a hole. Guess I didn't check out the other parts since I wasn't impressed at all by the HDR implementation in that game (it was too bright). The HDR in SCCT is much better although I still don't think it is a big deal.

ChrisRay
07-14-05, 07:29 PM
In FC most of the HDR I came across was in the tunnel areas with light shining down a hole. Guess I didn't check out the other parts since I wasn't impressed at all by the HDR implementation in that game (it was too bright). The HDR in SCCT is much better although I still don't think it is a big deal.

Hehe go to the archive map with HDR and tell me the room is the dark. :angel:

jolle
07-14-05, 07:33 PM
In FC most of the HDR I came across was in the tunnel areas with light shining down a hole. Guess I didn't check out the other parts since I wasn't impressed at all by the HDR implementation in that game (it was too bright).
If you got it enabled, its there all the time, your prolly refering to the glow on very bright things right? in that case, that is just "bloom".
HDR is, well the entire screen, all the time, and in itself its not really all that noticable since your still only displaying roughly 32bit color on the screen, somewhat better colors and contrast perhaps..
Auto exposure is prolly the most prominent effect using the High dynamic range in the image, I guess lighting a scene with a HDRI texture would be pretty cool, think the "Buglooker" techdemo does that.. but no games yet afaik..