PDA

View Full Version : Optimus Keyboard... You gotta see this!!!

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
07-14-05, 05:21 PM
This is one of the greatest idea's I have ever seen for a keyboard... check it out!! It actually has tiny LCD Screens on each key!!!

Every key of the Optimus keyboard is a stand-alone display showing exactly what it is controlling at this very moment. Optimus is good for any layouts—Cyrillic, Ancient Greek, Georgian, Arabian—and so on to infinity: notes, numerals, special symbols, HTML codes, mathematical functions.

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12540

Roadhog
07-14-05, 05:26 PM
omg sweet!

toxikneedle
07-14-05, 05:51 PM
that is so f-ing cool. I'm sure itll cost a fortune though :\

CaptNKILL
07-14-05, 05:55 PM
HOLY SH!# I WANT ONE!!!!! :eek:

jolle
07-14-05, 05:55 PM
Oh man, I gotta have one!

Clay
07-14-05, 05:58 PM
More info on it here: http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/07/optimus_keyboar.html#comments

GlowStick
07-14-05, 06:45 PM
Actually, if you poke aroudn their site i think its just a render for patent purposes. I honestly dont expect them to produce anything, but wait for someone to make something remotely silimar, and sue them.

dandano
07-14-05, 07:05 PM
*If* this ever shows up to actually buy, I will be buying two. After all, the wife will want her own. So how much would you guys be willing to pay for one of these? I would pay up tp $250 without batting an eye.

danh

jAkUp
07-14-05, 07:07 PM
I'm definetely curious as to the price of these if they ever make a product... A color LCD on each key? Gotta be expensive.

gmontem
07-14-05, 07:10 PM
Looks neat. I hope the little LCD screens don't break quickly after a few hundred keypresses.

Edit: nm I missed the OLED part. Are they more durable?

GlowStick
07-14-05, 07:24 PM
Hm, the big plus's for oleds is they dont require a back lite, and aparnetly are flexable. The big issue iwth useing lcds would be the backlight, Oleds solve it, but right now are pricey and have a short life span.

GamerGuyX
07-14-05, 07:34 PM
oh MY GAWD!!! :eek:

I..must have this. :drooling:

BrianG
07-15-05, 09:17 AM
Saw this link at Hexus while trolling for news...

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12553&stc=1

lapino
07-15-05, 09:32 AM
this is amazing. can this be bought yet? pricing?

BrianG
07-15-05, 09:49 AM
I think it is a design study. I do want one...

retsam
07-15-05, 09:49 AM
i think its still in protype .... man i want this sooooo much ....looks great...i love the feature of changing the keys on a per game bases...awsome.!!

Riptide
07-15-05, 10:24 AM
This is definitely cool. But... It's of limited usefulness IMO.

When I play a game, once I have my key maps set, I don't usually hunt and peck. I instinctively know where to go in order to grab a weapon, switch weapons, etc. just by feel.

Seriously how many of you actually look before you touch your keys when you are in the midst of a battle or even just typing a post here? If you aren't a hunt/pecker then I don't see how this is of much real benefit.

It does look cool though, no denying that...

Gator
07-15-05, 10:27 AM
Most impressive. Now I have to wonder what the power consumption on that thign is, if the PS2 and/or USB port provides enough, and how it would be powered for wireless users? :confused:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

And I heard the pricetag would be $200? OUCH!!!

Zelda_fan
07-15-05, 10:34 AM
what it would be good for is if games started programming this technology into their games. ie when Oblivion comes out rather than have to clunk through the stupid key config page to see what the controls are, they are instantly loaded on your keyboard. Would be a HUGE step towards making computers more intuative.

jAkUp
07-15-05, 10:47 AM
This is definitely cool. But... It's of limited usefulness IMO.

When I play a game, once I have my key maps set, I don't usually hunt and peck. I instinctively know where to go in order to grab a weapon, switch weapons, etc. just by feel.

Seriously how many of you actually look before you touch your keys when you are in the midst of a battle or even just typing a post here? If you aren't a hunt/pecker then I don't see how this is of much real benefit.

It does look cool though, no denying that...

It would be good for a game that you are not sure where the keys are... maybe like a flight sim. When I play BF2, I always have to hunt for hte "9" key to eject... worst key placement ever. Sadly I can't seem to find a better key either..lol

jolle
07-15-05, 10:51 AM
It would be good for a game that you are not sure where the keys are... maybe like a flight sim. When I play BF2, I always have to hunt for hte "9" key to eject... worst key placement ever. Sadly I can't seem to find a better key either..lol

hmm.. you got me thinking there...
I dont have anything on my second Thumb Mouse button..
got Prone on Thumb1..

wheeljack12
07-15-05, 09:40 PM
if either a basic template to program the keyboard or downloadable keyboard templates were in place when this is for sale, I will be getting it. No need to look at a reference card anymore. Also, there is a keyboard called the Zboard out there, I would take this in a heartbeat over the zboard. The zboard is too proprietary and novelty.

GlowStick
07-16-05, 02:48 AM
Unless im retarded they updated the page from so much good feedback

Frequently Answered Answers about the Optimus keyboard
It's in initial stage of production
We hope it will be released in 2006
It will cost less than a good mobile phone
It will be real
It will be OS-independent (at least it can work in some default state with any OS)
It will support any language or layout
Moscow is the capital of Russia
Each key could be programmed to produce any sequence
It will be an open-source keyboard, SDK will be available
Some day it will be split ('ergonomic')
It will most likely use OLED technology (e-paper is sooo slow)
Our studio is located two blocks from the Kremlin
It will feature a key-saver
Keys will use animation when needed
It has numeric keypad because we love it
There's no snow in Moscow during Summer
It will be available worldwide (why not?)
OEM will be possible (why not?)
Contact us for hi-res images, or interview inquires

So they say they are planning some aggressive marketing with it :D :D :D

Honestly, id have to say id pay up to 400$ for it. However, the software support is gonna be the kicker. I have a feeling that its not going to be so well.

$n][pErMan
07-16-05, 02:07 PM
Badass .... but as was said .. after a few plays of a game... you dont even need to look at the keyboard to know what to push. Although... I sometimes play with all lights in my room off... and something like that would be cool if I need to find a key that I dont use that often in a game.

Kojiro
07-17-05, 04:21 AM
Just because it displays the key funtions, does not make it any more functional than my 15 dollar Keyboard from Walmart. When I play games, i consentrate on what is on screen rather than the keyboard.