PDA

View Full Version : XFX GeForce 6600GT PVT43GND

ruth
07-14-05, 10:50 PM
I'd like to know if this card is compatible with the latest 2.6 kernel, with or without the latest Nvidia drivers (XFX doesn't support Linux!).

Does the dual monitor config work?

The main reason for looking at this brand/chip is its dual DVI port and PCI Express (A8N SLI Premium MB) support - for a relative good price.

Any other dual DVI/PCI Express you know of that works on Linux 2.6?

Thanks, Ruth

angshuman
07-14-05, 11:13 PM
I had been facing major problems with the exact same card in Linux (FC3, range of NVidia drivers). Surprisingly, the stock FC3 driver worked flawlessly. Of course, it was not accelerated, and videos would not scale up. The NVidia drivers would cause my system to completely blank out and freeze about 50% of the time the moment X started. The other 50%, once X was up and running, the system would run flawlessly.

I noticed that several people on the message boards had successfully managed to run their PCIe 6600GT's with the NVidia Linux drivers without any problems whatsoever. Unfortunately, none of them had the PVT43GND, so I don't know if I had a bad sample or it was a generic problem with the XFX card/bios. On the other hand, there were also several people with 6600GT's from *other* brands who seemed to be having problems somewhat similar to mine.

Oh, and a few days back, my card blew up. For no reason whatsoever.

Edit: I've begun to have a feeling that the 6600GT's are probably clocked a little too high for their cheap stock cooling setups to tolerate. Someone else on these boards also commented that they tend to get fried relatively easily for this very reason. If you can spare $180 (that's probably $25 more than the 6600GT), you could get a 6800 vanilla. Clocked nice n safe, more pipes, more bandwidth, right out of the box, and probably more overclockable than the 6600GT.