PDA

View Full Version : Why does MX700 mouse suddenly dislike mat?

Greg
07-15-05, 08:57 PM
I have a Logitech MX700 mouse. I've had this one for a year or so and it is great. A couple weeks ago, it suddenly stopped liking my mouse mat.

The mouse, like most optical mice, has always been fairly fussy with surfaces. I found this cloth coated mat works real well, never missing a beat with fast moves etc. The behavior it has now, is like using it on a 'bad' surface. Eg. I move the mouse, and the cursor just stops. Or, I move the mouse fast, but the cursor moves slow and jerky.

These are the things I've tried:
1) When mouse is freezing up, just use it on the wooden table surface. The result is instant excellent performance, put it back on the mat, and it freezes up again.
2) Change mouse batteries. I have 2 sets of batteries, they make no difference.
3) Clean the 'eye'. I tried to clean the thing by blowing air on it, and wiping it with a cloth and a tissue. It didn't look dirty or obscured to start with though. Result is no difference.
4) Change mouse mat. I actually have 2 of these mats, they are identical except for the color. Result is no difference, mouse used to work perfectly on either, now poorly on both.
5) Clear obstructions between mouse and wireless receiver. Result is no noticable difference.

I have no idea why my mouse now performs to badly, yet the problem appears to be with the mouse surface. As I said, when the mouse is playing up, if I simply run it over another surface it works fine. The problem started a couple weeks ago after I had moved the mouse in a box, with a bunch of other junk, to a different room. I can only think it has been bumped as it's worst injury so far.

Kojiro
07-17-05, 03:27 AM
maybe mats are dirty? they were probably cleaner when it used to work.

Optical mouse caculates the difference of the surface patern and which direction it is moving. If it can't tell the difference, the mouse will not move since it "thinks" that it has not moved

LBJM
07-17-05, 03:36 AM
mx700 does this too the optical is just dirty get a Q-tip and put rubbing alcohol on it and clean the optical lens.

jolle
07-17-05, 03:40 AM
my MX700 freaked out pretty bad once.. turned out it was just a hair that had gotten stuck in the hole where the sensor is hehe..

Anyhow, what mat is it?

Addy
07-17-05, 05:53 PM
Try power cycling it and resetting using the connect button on both the mouse and base if you haven't yet. Once or twice my mouse has gone wonky with tracking and the reset thing cleared it up.

LBJM
07-18-05, 02:26 AM
This is funny we all have different answers lol. Greg reply let us know what you've done.

Greg
07-18-05, 07:33 AM
Well, so far, I've also:

o Dusted the base station.
o Cleaned the optical lense again, this time with isopropyl alcohol.
o Reconnected mouse on other channel.
o Moved base station closer.
o (Earlier) Thoroughly washed and dried the mouse mat.
o (Earlier) Removed a old modem from the desk (the only thing changed in months) this didn't help.

Since I did several things in a row, I am not sure what has helped. The problem has not reoccured for one day or so, but I havn't used it enough to confirm if it is resolved.

By the way jolle, the mouse mat is some generic <$5 thing I picked up. Has been excellent, apart from being a bit small. It's one of those ones with attached gell wrist rest. I've always found cloth is excellent for optical mice due to the tiny thread patterns. I have actually written some rather long posts in various forums about all the mouse surfaces I've tried.

rohit
07-18-05, 12:52 PM
the mouse mat is some generic <$5 thing I picked up. Has been excellent, apart from being a bit small. It's one of those ones with attached gell wrist rest. I've always found cloth is excellent for optical mice due to the tiny thread patterns. I have actually written some rather long posts in various forums about all the mouse surfaces I've tried.
I use the same. My mouse worked excellently earlier, now days it skips i think because i reduced the mouse sensitivity to 1.1 from 1.5 in CS:condition zero.

I had to buy a new mouse mat, which is even better, its same cloth thing, but the cloth is more smooth, kinda silky, its really smooth with this one. but it still skips.

I feel like buying the MX1000 laser desktop. but ive heard/read its not good for resolutions less than 1024x768. and i play CS on res 800x600 or 640x489 (depending). so ill better wait till a new better mouse is out. mx518 is good, but is corded and looks pathetic (my point of view).

Addy
07-18-05, 08:02 PM
Staples has the mx1000 for $60 -20 rebate, not bad. Had my mx700 almost 2 years, still works ok but thinking about replacing it for that price.

Greg
07-18-05, 10:08 PM
...I feel like buying the MX1000 laser desktop. but ive heard/read its not good for resolutions less than 1024x768. and i play CS on res 800x600 or 640x489 (depending). so ill better wait till a new better mouse is out. mx518 is good, but is corded and looks pathetic (my point of view).

Looks like this has turned into a MX1000 thread. Well, I returned my MX1000 after a few days of use. It was more accurate than the MX700, but the host of other serious bugs with the hardware made it a worthless piece of junk. Just do a search on the thing, and remember to visit logitechs own forums for hundreds of unhappy customer reports.

rohit
07-19-05, 01:11 PM
hey, please post more of your experience with mx1000. i mean the BUGs you are referring to. i was planning to get the mx3100 desktop ( mx1000 + Cordless 3000 keyboard). its expensive here, almost $200.00 USD. i dont want my money to get wasted. so please post.
Should i stick with mx700?

Greg
07-19-05, 09:54 PM
hey, please post more of your experience with mx1000. i mean the BUGs you are referring to. i was planning to get the mx3100 desktop ( mx1000 + Cordless 3000 keyboard). its expensive here, almost $200.00 USD. i dont want my money to get wasted. so please post.
Should i stick with mx700?
I think my comments here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=520776&postcount=5
from this thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44250
sum it up, but do do a google and visit Logitech (USA) forums to confirm I am not the lone winger.

Edit: I noticed the review link in my old post is permanently dead. This forum has a lot of mouse nuts with their opinions on the Mx1000. http://3dgpu.com/forums/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=7994814f9c5b6cd3f6b6475fa21eed33&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=mx1000

LBJM
07-20-05, 03:45 AM
I know there a lot of dud mx1000s mine nor my friend's mx1000 have any problems. but I'm have dlink router issues, so I'm pised about that. I want to throw it against the wall lol.

rohit
07-20-05, 12:58 PM
Alrite, thanx a lot. i wont buy it. i will wait for a better device.
But i would admit, the MX3100 desktop (KB + MOUSE) looks very elegant, neat, and one of the most beautifull things around.

john19055
07-23-05, 11:06 AM
I only had my Mx700 act up when it had a piece of dust stuck in the eye and when I finnally got that out it worked good as new ,I did'nt like how it drained the battries but I always had a second set always charged so that was'nt a problem,I bought the MX1000 laser mouse and it is better then the mx700 it is more sesitive to movements and the battery last a heck of a lot longer the the mx700.If you want a mouse that has the sesitivity of a corded mouse then go with the MX 1000,because if you liked the Mx700 then you will like the Mx1000 that much more IMO.