PDA

View Full Version : What causes throttling?

Pages : [1] 2

Eliminator
07-16-05, 08:37 AM
ok the most obvious is in cs source and battlefield 2..... the screen either freezes for a few seconds or just does it instantly but in cs source my fps drops to half.... and in bf i lose around 10-15fps.... my 6800gt temperature is around 50*C on load... it happens with all drivers.... its been happening ever since i got my athlon 64 + neo2 platinum..... also i have 2gb ram and 512mb aperture and fastwrites are off.... currently using 80.40s by xtremeg and newest nforce betas with 4.40 gart driver.... does it need more agp voltage..... do i need to format.... what is going on?

EDIT: my PSU is a 465W enermax it does 35/35/33A @ 3.3/5/12 and voltages look good

gram_vaz
07-16-05, 11:26 AM
nvm

myshkinbob
07-16-05, 06:09 PM
Say hello to the nforce3+6800 freezing bug. Throttling is caused by excess heat, poor voltages, or agp related errors at higher clock speeds. Your throttling is down to the latter. Search the forum, read the threads on the issue, there's no real known fix. You can up your agp voltage, up your core voltage, change pci latency, change drivers, apply as5 to the core, rub lidament onto your chest, wear a lucky ribbon, and dress to a different side in the mornings.

jolle
07-16-05, 06:37 PM
I had some serious stuttering when OCing early on with this rig..
It went away tho, not sure what did it..
I know I did remove the NV SW ide driver, which had cause 3dmark05 to fail and some other freaky things..
Those "Blitting" settings in RivaTuner D3d part helped the brutal stutter in D3 oddly enough.. or it seemed like they were the cause..
You could perhaps try a AGP aperture of 128, or atleast 256..

gram_vaz
07-16-05, 06:49 PM
it's widespread bs problems like this that are seriously making me consider my next system be a intel/ati system.

jAkUp
07-16-05, 07:23 PM
Well, intel does seem to have a more solid mobo...

keith33
07-16-05, 07:31 PM
Throttling also happens when you have insufficient power to run the card at full load (happened with my 6800 Ultra back in the day). On the Nforce/AMD defense, the NF4 boards with A64s are rock solid compare to the NF3 chipsets. Which is bizarre because they're almost identical, somewhere along the lines Nvidia cleaned up the act and I don't think I'm ever going Intel again because the stability is stunning.

Acid Rain
07-16-05, 08:08 PM
Eliminator, are you overclocking? The nForce 3 pausing issue usually only effects an OCed system.

Gram Vaz, are you having issues with your setup? I never have with mine. With NV you've got like, 3 issues that are common. Go take a look at the Catalyst discussion forum and the tech support areas. Myriads of different problems.

When I came back to NV after a 9800Pro, I noted the marked ghost town-like nature of NV issues threads.

As stated, the pausing issue is almost exclusively related to OCed boards. Can't fault a company for that.
Something to thing about.

gram_vaz
07-16-05, 08:13 PM
^ when i had a ati card i never had one single problem. i got my nvidia card and i have issues with it occasionally screwing up the picture on my lcd monitor when connected through dvi(a known problem with samsung 172x lcd monitors), had several driver issues that have forced me to update my driver(annoying as i'm usually a set it and forget it guy). and the nvidia gpu driver won't even work for me in suse 9.3(again, a known problem with many linux distros) stock speeds for cpu/gpu do nothing for the problems i've had and stock speeds won't do anything for the nf3 problem the thread starter has either if your at all read up on that problem.

i don't usually brand an entire manufacturer based on personal experience alone but i've read far too many threads on people having problems on amd systems and nvidia cards. the problem with amd systems isn't the cpu though as it is the second party motherboard chipsets. amd needs to start making their own chipsets like intel does. and ati users don't usually complain about problems as they whine about features they want or don't want(as is the case with the bloated CCC).

i could go on and on but i already covered the "are amd systems and nvidia cards more problematic/picky than intel/ati?" with surprisingly meaningful conversation without any fanboys riled up in other threads on various forums.

Acid Rain
07-16-05, 08:20 PM
Got it. From your standpoint, the other products may indeed look like the greener field. Whatever your decision, I wish you the best.

gram_vaz
07-16-05, 08:21 PM
the thing is it's not just on what i've read but also on my own experience. when i had intel/ati i never ever had one single issue. i miss those days...

omzig
07-17-05, 07:18 AM
Its totally unbelievable that nvidia have'nt been able to fix this problem
and im afraid there inaction has lost them any future customer from myself or from the ppl i build systems for.

Id rather lose a few fps and have a stable card from ATI that suffer hickup's and bumps my 9700 never had any of these problems and my friends X800 kicks the **** out of the 6800gt as far as stablity and ingame smoothness goes(identical systems apart from gfx cards)

as we've seen from the replys from 3rd party card builders they and nv know theres a problem with NF3/6800 chipsets they just have'nt done anything about it....my bet is that this will remain unresovled and nv will just sweep it under the carpet and move to to pimping the 7800

this problem along with there total lack of solid driver support/bug fixing has put me off nv for a long long time roll on 520 even if it is a few fps slower id take that and real comitted driver support over what nv has offered me with the 6800.....sure the 6800 is a great piece of hardware its the ****ty support thats let it down for me :thumbdwn:

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 07:27 AM
^ actually with ati we would gain a few fps in dx9 games. ;)

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 08:29 AM
^ most definately. with a new system go nf4(or intel).

Eliminator
07-17-05, 11:17 AM
yes i am overclocked but it happens with stock clocks as well.... i have tried just about every possible solution known... except getting new hardware.... and honestly im thinking of going intel+ati next time.... one i got this throttling issue..... two stupid winchester cant handle 4x512mb properly so im running system ram at 385mhz in order to keep stable...considering with 2x512mb i had 500mhz

EDIT: its been a while since ive fooled around with agp voltage..... what should i set it to for testing purposes? currently at 1.5v stock

EDIT2: how can nvidia fix it if they only release nfoce4 drivers which dont contain the gart driver anymore which ive heard is the source of the problems

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 11:46 AM
^ setting agp voltage to max for a short while shouldn't damage anything to see wether that helps anything( i doubt it will with your nf3 problem anyway). i've run my rig at 1.6v for a while to see wether it would fix a problem i was having and run it at 1.8v for a couple of days as well.

j0j081
07-17-05, 08:31 PM
it's widespread bs problems like this that are seriously making me consider my next system be a intel/ati system.
what a great combo!

joshua7
07-21-05, 12:30 PM
Same problem here too. My card throttles back above 375-390mhz, depending on... I don't know what. :thumbdwn: Installed a new psu and a Zalman cooler but the problem remained... Must be a bug of some sort in the nf3 chipset.

Goth
07-21-05, 01:44 PM
IMHO this problem isn't going to get fixed it has been around for over a year now, and still no fix. People just need to cut their losses and replace thier motherboard with a non nforce3 chipset board.
I just can't believe that Nvidia made sure that ATI video cards work on the Nforce 3 chipset, but didn't bother making the sure that the 6800 series cards worked with it.

ViN86
07-21-05, 06:22 PM
yea, i read about this problem. its the reason why i sold my AGP 6800GT and went to nforce4 :cool:

gram_vaz
07-21-05, 06:48 PM
IMHO this problem isn't going to get fixed it has been around for over a year now, and still no fix. People just need to cut their losses and replace thier motherboard with a non nforce3 chipset board.
I just can't believe that Nvidia made sure that ATI video cards work on the Nforce 3 chipset, but didn't bother making the sure that the 6800 series cards worked with it.
i don't think it's dependant on the chipset alone otherwise it would happen with ati as well. i think this problem only happens when geforce 6 series + nf3.

j0j081
07-21-05, 11:43 PM
It isn't really a mainstream problem when it only occurs with overclocking and that is why there is no fix or mention of one. Technically there is nothing wrong because running your card out of spec is a risk in itself.

gram_vaz
07-22-05, 12:41 AM
reverting to stock speeds doesn't fix the geforce 6 series + nf3 stuttering problem. just check the threads on this and other forums.

like this one: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759

Goth
07-22-05, 10:47 AM
It isn't really a mainstream problem when it only occurs with overclocking and that is why there is no fix or mention of one. Technically there is nothing wrong because running your card out of spec is a risk in itself.

True If you overclock a 6800gt it does happen more often, but it happens on 6800 Ultra if they are overclocked or not, so if your theory is right then maybe the 6800 Ultra should have never been released. :p I have my 6800 ultra at default speed and it stutters in games Like WoW BF2 the famous 5 to 10 sec video freeze My ultra doesn't have any problems at all on an Nforce 2 mobo or an VIA K8T800 Pro motherboard the stuttering only happens on a nforce 3 motherboard. One of Nvidia engineers screwed up and we are paying for it plain and simple. Anyways my problem will be fixed next week a friend of mine is giving me his ASUS A8V DELUXE mobo, so I can finally say good bye to the Nforce 3 chipset and it's defect. :D

anyways my PSU is a TTGI 550W with a 30A 12v rail

anzak
07-22-05, 11:23 AM
I know. This is the main reason I'm kicking my self for trading my X800XT.