PDA

View Full Version : Personal Cinema 6800/7800 ?

mattyo
07-16-05, 03:20 PM
I am looking to get a Personal Cinema card but the options I have are 5700 or 5200. I will be upgrading from a 5950 so moving down for Personal Cinema doesnt sound logical. Are there Geforce 6 or Geforce 7 series Personal Cinema Cards ? :confused: If there arent any why is Nvidia neglecting people like me. :wong:

The other option I have is the AIW X800 XL. :| I dont know if it is available in AGP or not.

mattyo
07-17-05, 12:49 PM
Please help, I need to buy one next week.

keith33
07-17-05, 12:56 PM
Nvidia nor eVGA makes the Personal Cinema series in 6 or 7 series form. I would suggest you buy a 6800GT (or 7800GTX depending on your budget and whether you want a new PCIe mobo or not) then pick up a seperate PCI Hauppage tuner which is far superior to anything ATi's stuck on a card. If you really want that "All-In-One" card, pick up the AIWX800XL (a speed binned XT essentially) and it is ONLY AGP.

EDIT: The reason Nvidia doesn't give three ****s about you is the fact that all these all in one cards are jack of all trades but master of none, anyone that buys a high-end gfx card for $300+ can surely afford to pick up a great 3rd party TV Tuner which will do a better job than anything they can fit on the same PCB as a high end video card.

wheeljack12
07-17-05, 01:46 PM
If you are looking for the AIW solution in a upgrade, the best AGP you can get is the AIW X800 XT. The AIW X800 XL is PCI-E only. Keith33, here are the websites to compare and my brother has owned a AIW X800 XT.

X800XL AIW:
http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/aiwx800xl/specs.html

X800 XT AIW:
http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/aiwx800xt/specs.html

(take a close look at the sys requirements on both)

I do agree with Keith33 on the choice I would make in the sense of two seperate cards. Ati until their recent seperate tv cards (only tv wonder elite does this for ATI's tv tuners) didn't use hardware encoding for their mpeg recording as where hauppage has been using it a long time. And with the AIW, you are stuck with upgrading both a tuner and video card each time you change the AIW where with two seperate cards you get to choose when to upgrade each. If you go high end on the AGP, the nvidia graphics solution is the 6800 ultra and the ati is the x850 platinum edition.

keith33
07-17-05, 02:32 PM
My apologies Wheeljack12, I thought the AIW X800 XL was AGP. I could have sworn I saw them on newegg and eBay as AGP8x. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation.

j0j081
07-17-05, 08:28 PM
The Hauppage card in my sig is a great choice and is cheap.

mattyo
07-18-05, 10:16 AM
Thanks for your input all. :)

The reason Nvidia doesn't give three ****s about you is the fact that all these all in one cards are jack of all trades but master of none, anyone that buys a high-end gfx card for $300+ can surely afford to pick up a great 3rd party TV Tuner which will do a better job than anything they can fit on the same PCB as a high end video card.
:cry:

There is a market for these type of cards otherwise why would ATI bother pumping out an AIW every generation?

I dont have space in my SFF so I cant go for a separate video card and separate TV tuner card.

wheeljack, I might look into the X800 XT AIW instead. Thanks all again.