PDA

View Full Version : Is it my fault? Do I have to pay for a new rig?

LazyAzN
07-17-05, 01:52 AM
Well ok... I wake up, go online, blah blah, get on AIM. Friend tells me there's a lanparty 2 hours away. I told him I didn't have a computer since my motherboard was undergoing the RMA process. A guy going to the lan said that he had a spare rig, and I just needed $5, a video card, and ram.

So I go, find out that the IDE controller on that motherboard is screwed up, so the host said I could borrow his server computer. I ask if I can put my x800xt in along with my ram, he says ok. He puts in the x800xt, I put in the ram.

After 4 hours I had to leave, but then 1 hour after I got home, they IM me saying that I broke the power supply and a ram stick? I start asking questions, find out that the PSU in the server was a 450w Athena Power, and the ram was some 512 mb stick (they don't know if its corsair or avati or something like that crap)...

What happened was that after someone else pulled out my video card and I took my stuff home, they stuck in a 512 mb stick from out of the blue, and the original radeon 9200 or something and booted up. Then the PSU smoked, and the heat was intense, so they start blaming me who used it last.

Should I pay for the PSU and the ram? or Should I just not pay and never go to another lanparty of theirs again?

Slyder
07-17-05, 03:03 AM
Should I pay for the PSU and the ram? or Should I just not pay and never go to another lanparty of theirs again?

Its tricky, because you could of easily damaged something when you took your parts out just as much as the next man could of when he put his parts in. Why dont you go halves ?

Having said that... the psu started to smoke :eek: thats normally just down to a dud psu.

Just my 2 cents...

Kojiro
07-17-05, 03:09 AM
Anythjing will break with the amount of abuse that it went under.

Computers are made so easy even a monkey can do it, yet people tend to suprizes me. :rolleyes:

LBJM
07-17-05, 03:31 AM
I don't think you should. it worked before you left. your not responsable for them breaking the machine when they removed your video card and then installed the parts after you left. it's sounds to me like they are trying to get money out of you. you paid the first guy $5 he's probaby friends with the host guy.

CaptNKILL
07-17-05, 07:02 AM
Id say go halves... you know its a crappy deal when something like that happens, and they dont really know you, so naturally they are going to be a bit suspicious when you used it and then it died. BUT, they did do the replacing, so it isnt your fault. Make sure they realize this and offer to pay half of the cost. If they insist on making you pay the full amount, tell them not to blame you, then give them the choice of half or none. If they want all of it, hang up. I know you probably didnt do anything wrong, but I never saw any point in making enemies anywhere, so its always good to smooth things over like this if possible.

LazyAzN
07-17-05, 01:38 PM
well technically, the host and everyone else at my party were "friends." $5 was the entry fee, and replacing the parts would cost around $60-$80 depending on how much the guy would price those generic psu's and ram.

They pretty much suspect me since I was the last one using it. Which is blindly accusing me, and then saying my x800xt overloading the psu up in smoke. That was proven wrong by the fact IF the power supply was hot, it would've been when I got my stuff back.

Could a screw might've shorted the mobo or something?

rohit
07-17-05, 02:25 PM
if you r speaking the truth, dont pay a penny. in fact try to find out how it all happend. just my POV. thats what i would do.
Now,
- maybe x800xt fried the PSU. say you will pay half for the PSU.
-while the RAM braking down in to 2 pieces, its a physical damage. you havent done it. so say it, tell them you aint responsible for it.

LazyAzN
07-17-05, 02:40 PM
apparently the ram was also caught in the damage when the psu smoked or something. But how can a 450w get fried by a video card only needing a 350w psu..

rohit
07-17-05, 03:38 PM
You never know, its a Hardware. also it may be drawing more power frm a particular rail. may be that rail was the rail connecting your xt, vga cards need more amps from the 12v rail, and the rail didnt have that capacity.
maybe the psu couldnt take xtra load of the wall, so it died. but, you were the one, who last used the machine.
you are more like an unlucky case.

For the memory, please, its got nothing to do with PSU. the mobo would have fried due to faulty PSU, the mem comes later in the picture.

i wish: that they had integrated log system in these components, so it wouldnt be difficult finding out why is the comp rebooting, not performing well etc..

LazyAzN
07-17-05, 03:58 PM
Well now what's weird is that they changed their story again. Now they said when I left. the power supply smoked. Wouldn't I notice if the psu smoked? Now the ram, mmhmm. That is 100% not my problem, and they stick in ram anyways? What kind of a loser does that crap?! :thumbdwn:

demonized
07-17-05, 05:32 PM
You were able to run the system fine for 4 hrs. why would the PSU suddenly smoke after you've taken out your stuff?

LazyAzN
07-17-05, 09:38 PM
no idea, but apparently. THEY OPENED THE PSU AND VOIDED THE WARRANTY. So... am I still held responsible?

CaptNKILL
07-17-05, 10:08 PM
no idea, but apparently. THEY OPENED THE PSU AND VOIDED THE WARRANTY. So... am I still held responsible?
Sounds like they are screwing with you, tell them you did nothing wrong and they are changing the story too much for you to be able to do anything about it.

Im sure they can handle the cost or else they wouldnt have felt it necessary to rip open a PSU that might have been under warranty... what the hell were they going to do to it anyway? :rolleyes:

superklye
07-17-05, 10:13 PM
dude, it's always your fault. no matter what she tells you, you're wrong and it's always YOU that has to sleep on the couch.

oh.

wait.

heh, nevermind.

LazyAzN
07-17-05, 10:44 PM
Also, I learned... ITS A MICROATX PSU in an ATX case... Omfg.. They did not tell me that...

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 10:46 PM
that deal sounds like bs to me. i wouldn't pay. just ignore them if they badger you for the money.

ChrisRay
07-17-05, 11:25 PM
Personally. This is why no one uses my computer parts but me. They already break for no reason. At least I know where they have been and what they've been through. Personally I think the owner of the PC is at fault here.

Kickus_assius
07-17-05, 11:47 PM
If a psu smokes, it's the usually the sole problem. If it takes down something with it, that's not your problem as it's their crappy PSU causing the problems. I wouldn't pay a cent as putting in a different video card and ram will do absolutely nothing to a power supply, unless the video card overdrew current and it has no automatic shutdown protection. In this case, you would see the problem right away, not afterwards. I think a capacitor or something else inside the PSU just blew over time and likely abuse, it just seems to be Murphy's Law that it happened when you were involved. I wouldn't pay anything unless you want them to stop hounding you for good.

LBJM
07-18-05, 02:25 AM
they keep changing their story!!!! they are trying to sucker you out of money. don't do it. you may lose friends but what kind of friends try to take money from other friends?

5150 Joker
07-18-05, 04:52 AM
If they offered to let you use the PC and go as far as let you stick your parts in it, they assumed any liablity of faliure that would result. I wouldn't pay them a dime and in fact I wouldn't even assume responsiblity so don't apologize to them. Tell them you don't believe it is your fault and that they should assume full responsiblity for allowing you to put your parts in the PC without them double checking everything to make sure they were within spec.