PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it . . .

Sidric
07-17-05, 03:36 AM
I have crossed over finally . . bye-bye Intel, hello AMD. I just ordered an AMD64 4400+ X2 w/ an ASUS A8N SLI board. Next check I'll be ordering up a 7800GTX(still haven't made up my mind on what flavor). Just wanted to mention it since ever since I can remember I've been a stalwart Intel customer.

Peace . . .

Slyder
07-17-05, 04:11 AM
I have crossed over finally . . bye-bye Intel, hello AMD. I just ordered an AMD64 4400+ X2 w/ an ASUS A8N SLI board. Next check I'll be ordering up a 7800GTX(still haven't made up my mind on what flavor). Just wanted to mention it since ever since I can remember I've been a stalwart Intel customer.

Peace . . .

The community now accepts you, welcome brother. :D

LBJM
07-17-05, 04:20 AM
get a bfg. everyone is messing with the core clocks but bfg has the highest mem clock of them all at 1.3Ghz. I've ooced the core to 490 but since the core clock changing anyways I put it back down to 460.

Sidric
07-17-05, 04:21 AM

Hehe . . thanks. Gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling :D . Still, I'm having trouble deciding what 7800GTX I'm going to order. So far I've picked BFG's offering as my first choice. But I've heard a lot of good things about EVGA. I could just very well go with the straight vanilla Nvidia built card but I don't know which one is better. Suggestions???

Sidric
07-17-05, 04:22 AM
get a bfg. everyone is messing with the core clocks but bfg has the highest mem clock of them all at 1.3Ghz. I've ooced the core to 490 but since the core clock changing anyways I put it back down to 460.

ahh damn you posted before I could ask the question . . thanks for the suggestion though, I'll probably go with it in the end.

newls1
07-17-05, 08:10 AM
Are you planning on OCing? That ASUS A8N-SLI board is a terrible OC'er. I belive the new "premium" version is the choice for OC'ers. I have the A8N-SLI board in my sh*t pile in my room, it lasted 2 days before I relized it would hit a wall with anything higher than 219FSB (Htt)

Sidric
07-17-05, 11:47 AM
As a matter of fact, no I do not plan on OCing this board. In my experience, ocing has done nothing but shortened the life of my hardware. And since I've spent quite a large sum of money on these two components, I don't think it would be wise for me to attempt something such as that. Really, if you OC(and this is my point of view, so flame me if you wish I don't care)you do it with the knowledge that it will someday kill your hardware. Granted, all hardware will die, but when you OC you are greatly shortening it to a degree of which will probably cost you more money than save. In other words, if this was merely an Athlon XP with a standard nForce2 board, I would be fine with ocing it because it isn't much of an investment, so I wouldn't be losing any money out of it, and perhaps I would be saving money since I would be getting more performance for less than I payed for. Its really all about the risk vs. rewards ratio. If you like risks, and you like spending money(I certainly do, but thats not the point), then go for it.

err, sorry for the rant. but thats just my .02 of why I WILL NOT OC this hardware, at least for a long while.

FraGTastiK
07-17-05, 12:37 PM
I have the A8N-SLI board in my sh*t pile in my room, it lasted 2 days before I relized it would hit a wall with anything higher than 219FSB (Htt)

I guess you would be very wrong,don't know what held you back,here I got
320 HTT from this baby with a 4400 X2 :afro2: and it didnt hit a wall,gonna try for more sometime.

CPU-Z Validation page (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=27922)

$n][pErMan
07-17-05, 12:37 PM
Hahaha.... :D

jAkUp
07-17-05, 01:12 PM
Yea believe it or not.. my 3500+ is the first AMD I have ever owned :)

Buenamos
07-17-05, 01:19 PM
Congrats on the cpu, it's really nice. Everything is sooo smooth and silk. Gotta love it ;)

Bad_Boy
07-17-05, 04:10 PM
same here.

nIghtorius
07-20-05, 05:06 AM
same here.

with those two..

And I never regret a moment of this

zoomy942
07-20-05, 07:00 AM
awesome! welcome to the more powerful, but more forgotten, AMD club!

have you noticed that the grass seemes greener? the clouds are whiter? the sun shines brighter?

Tr1cK
07-20-05, 08:08 AM
The last Intel I owned was a 286/16. I'm glad I've never wasted money on intel beyond that.

Riptide
07-20-05, 08:35 AM
The 386 was a waste? 486 was a waste? :confused:

Tr1cK
07-20-05, 09:45 AM
I got out of PCs for years after that. I caught back up with a K6-2 400. Even though P2s smoked them, I couldn't afford Intel at the time (hello $6.50/hr lol). My first Athlon was a 600 that I resoldered the resistors on to make it a 650. I have never even looked at Intel since then.

HighTest
07-20-05, 02:07 PM

I've tried to be solely AMD since their AM386 days. w00t!

So I'll also state the "welcome"! Glad you are no longer part of the evil empire :D

Lfctony
07-20-05, 02:24 PM
First things first, welcome to the club. :) Now on CPUs, my first ever system had an AMD DX4 100. Then, I went to an AMD K6-2 400, which I burned by overclocking. AMD was hard to find in Cyprus, so I swapped Intel Cpu after Intel Cpu. Good thing AMD decided to stop copying Intel's efforts and developed their own architecture. Jumped on the AMD ship again last year when I got a good deal on my A64 3200+. I'm sticking with AMD for now since they have a clear lead in gaming apps.

Sidric
07-20-05, 11:22 PM
awesome! welcome to the more powerful, but more forgotten, AMD club!

have you noticed that the grass seemes greener? the clouds are whiter? the sun shines brighter?

well none of the hardware has arrived yet, and I won't be able to put it all together until I get my 7800GTX(which should be about a month before I get that, because of money issues). oddly enough, things seem to be much better with my current machine. the ol girl probably thinks these are her last few days so she's givin it her best.

zoomy942
07-20-05, 11:24 PM
well none of the hardware has arrived yet, and I won't be able to put it all together until I get my 7800GTX(which should be about a month before I get that, because of money issues). oddly enough, things seem to be much better with my current machine. the ol girl probably thinks these are her last few days so she's givin it her best.

haha!! she sees you crossing over and she is wondering what is to become of her. :)

i was gonna wait till i got my 7800GT, but i got a 6600GT to get me by

Sidric
07-22-05, 01:15 AM
haha!! she sees you crossing over and she is wondering what is to become of her. :)

i was gonna wait till i got my 7800GT, but i got a 6600GT to get me by

hehe, yea. well, currently I have an agp card, which obviously won't work with the board I'm getting, so I figure I'll just go for the gusto and get the best I can get so i don't have to worry about upgrading any time soon. I personally can't wait to get this together, but I realized that I may hafta wait longer as I will probably be getting a new PSU to allow me to SLI in the future(and I will, I can assure you). oh well. been a long time coming, and glad I'm finally getting it out of the way.