PDA

View Full Version : Cleartype bug!

Pages : [1] 2

h4nc0
07-17-05, 11:02 PM
Hello,

I was having 2D desktop freeze issue and thinking it was a component of my system, tried different motherboard, VGA, RAM, power supplies, CPU, etc. I thought it was X2 related bug, but today, I found out what was causing the freeze! It was Cleartype. Easiest way to reproduce the bug here is this:

Fresh install of WinXP SP2.
Nvidia 77.72 driver installed.
Enable cleartype.
Playing something on your audio card, whether it's onboard or PCI device, doesn't seem to matter.
Open IE, preferably something with Macromedia Flash.
Now drag the IE window really fast around with your mouse.

This will freeze my system 100% of time.

I am not sure if this is X2 related bug or what, but could anyone try this to see if it works, especially if you have an X2 processor?

Thanks.

rewt
07-17-05, 11:10 PM
My advice, don't use IE.

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 11:11 PM
^ is that really a helpful response? the guy uses IE, not firefox, not opera, he uses IE.

btw, i don't get any freezing when i do that on my system but i don't have a x2 cpu.

rewt
07-17-05, 11:12 PM
^ is that really a helpful response? the guy uses IE, not firefox, not opera, he uses IE.

IMO yes, it is a very helpful response. IE sucks.

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 11:13 PM
no it doesn't. it's just fashionable to bash anything microsoft.

rewt
07-17-05, 11:16 PM
And there's perfectly good reasons why people bash it.

I'd suggest trying another type of browser just to experiment. You don't have to use it for long term, its just to see if IE may really be the culprit.

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 11:18 PM
well, if it doesn't freeze when cleartype is disabled i wouldn't say it's an IE problem. it's a compatibality problem cleartype has with something in the system. i wouldn't point at the cpu though. more like the gpu imo.

rewt
07-17-05, 11:21 PM
well, if it doesn't freeze when cleartype is disabled i wouldn't say it's an IE problem. it's a compatibality problem cleartype has with something in the system.

Whats to say IE doesn't have problems with cleartype? Whats to say IE doesn't have problems with flash? Whats to say it doesn't have problems with both of them enabled at the same time?

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 11:23 PM
that's just blatant anti-IE bs. :p

IE is the most stable browser out there. only reason many hate it is because of it's security vulnerabilities and spyware your system picks up through IE. though anyone that runs a anti-virus and anti-spyware program every now and then won't have anything to worry about.

rewt
07-17-05, 11:24 PM
that's just blatant anti-IE bs. :p

Well I'm a hell of a lot more anti-M$ than I am anti-AMD or anti-NVIDIA.

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 11:26 PM
why does this have to be a bash thing in the first place? we can only be most helpful when we set aside fanboisim and prejudices.

h4nc0
07-17-05, 11:31 PM
I am sorry but this has nothing to do with IE. What I said was "easiest way to reproduce this problem". It also happens when IE isn't running.

Also, you may have to drag the "sh%^" out of whatever window you are draging around to make the machine freeze. It also happens when there's no other activity such as audio playing, IE with flash, etc. But to make it happen fast, playing something on your audio card, open lots of IE or whatever, and start moving around a window really fast. I am not sure if this is only X2 related bug, but I've heard a friend of mine seeing the same bug on his Venice core setup, even though it's alot harder to reproduce on his machine than mine. :(

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 11:35 PM
had audio playing, opened like 10 IE browsers all at pc.ign.com(flash heavy site), and was dragging the hell out of an IE window for like 30seconds and nothing. maybe someone with a x2 cpu or a a64 can do this.

h4nc0
07-17-05, 11:40 PM
Ah you are running a Barton. Okay, I've had no such problem when I was running socket 754 AMD64 with the same graphics card and driver ver. It seems to only happen to AMD64 X2 or some of the newer core (venice/san diego) CPUs.

Also, I've heard of similar problems from users using these new CPUs on 939/AGP boards such as Nforce3 Ultra or K8T800 Pro's. And 2GB of RAMs.

OWA
07-17-05, 11:40 PM
I've tried to reproduce it but things are working fine here. I'm using an X2.

Edit: I enabled cleartype, played a song with WMP 10, visited the Macromedia site and moved the IE window around really fast for around 30 seconds or so.

Vagrant Zero
07-17-05, 11:47 PM
I may use Firefox but I'm not a blind, I have noticed that using the web with IE seems to make for a much smoother experience. FF still has a few major bugs to be worked out [image loading being on of the big ones].

rewt
07-17-05, 11:51 PM
IE is much smoother than Firefox. Opera is even smoother, but the full version isn't free.

OWA doesn't have the issue on his X2. h4nc0 what are your system specs? What BIOS settings have you tweaked (if any).

gram_vaz
07-17-05, 11:55 PM
i find it difficult to believe this could be caused by how a particular cpu model core executes code. when people say a cpu is unstable it's not really correct. it's the motherboard chipset that can cause instability. though with this case i'm still pointing at the gpu.

h4nc0
07-18-05, 12:00 AM
Did you try it on your 2nd machine as well?

Yeah, I know there are thousands of people running x2s without problem. However, most of them seem to be on Nforce4 chipset. I would like to hear from someone using X2, Nvidia graphics card and 939/AGP motherboard.

BTW, here my spec:

AMD64 X2 4400+ (tried 2 CPUs and also a venice core 3000+, less freeze on venice but it still happened)
Asus A8V Deluxe (also have MSI Neo2 Platinum, same thing)
Hynix 2x1GB / Corsair PC4400 2x512MB (same thing on both)
2 Raptor HDs / 2 Hitachi HDs (all SATA)
Antec 550W / Antec 430W (same thing on both. Also tried using both at the same time)
Nvidia 6800GT / Nvidia 6600GT / Nvidia Ti4200 (same thing on all of them)
Cooling with Koolance EXOS watercooling. Temp. is not a problem here.

gram_vaz
07-18-05, 12:03 AM
if you don't have a nf4 chipset what do you have? for amd you should really get nf chipsets for stability. not as rock solid as an intel chipset but the best amd has.

h4nc0
07-18-05, 12:08 AM
if you don't have a nf4 chipset what do you have? for amd you should really get nf chipsets for stability. not as rock solid as an intel chipset but the best amd has.

I use my machine mainly for audio recording/production. NF4 performs poorly when used for audio production purpose with PCI audiocard/DSP cards. Therefore, only choice for me was NF3 Ultra or K8T800 Pro. A8V Deluxe performed much better when DSP cards are used, so it was my pick.

However, this bug happens when there are no audio card/DSP cards installed.

skypx
07-18-05, 08:42 AM
Hello,

I was having 2D desktop freeze issue and thinking it was a component of my system, tried different motherboard, VGA, RAM, power supplies, CPU, etc. I thought it was X2 related bug, but today, I found out what was causing the freeze! It was Cleartype. Easiest way to reproduce the bug here is this:

Fresh install of WinXP SP2.
Nvidia 77.72 driver installed.
Enable cleartype.
Playing something on your audio card, whether it's onboard or PCI device, doesn't seem to matter.
Open IE, preferably something with Macromedia Flash.
Now drag the IE window really fast around with your mouse.

This will freeze my system 100% of time.

I am not sure if this is X2 related bug or what, but could anyone try this to see if it works, especially if you have an X2 processor?

Thanks.

No problems here. Is there a specific web site we should test this with? I went to www.macromedia.com and I did not experience any problems.

saweetnesstrev
07-18-05, 09:56 AM
Rewt a Browser is a Browser, who gives a crap what you use..

h4nc0
07-18-05, 10:36 AM
Any site with lots of flash contents will do it for me.

fastguy94416
07-18-05, 11:42 AM
I've got an x2 4400+, I'm dragging the windows around like no tomorrow and nothing is happening. Cleartype is on to a full extent, all drivers are installed, running dual monitors.