PDA

View Full Version : ECS Enthusiast Board??!!

jAkUp
07-18-05, 09:43 AM
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-292-1.htm

well at least they doing something worthwhile... even so, I dunno if I could ever buy anything that says "ECS" on it :p

Tr1cK
07-18-05, 10:23 AM
Well the K7S5A was one heck of a cheap enthusiast board for its time. I still have one running in my HTPC.

AthlonXP1800
07-19-05, 06:48 PM
Yes ECS make very good, very solid and stablity motherboards with full blown features at budget prices, I found that ECS boards are as good as ASUS.

I had fitted ECS K7S5A motherboard for my uncle PC since the last board I fitted with MSI board had died, I was very impressed with the ECS board and the downside are the SiS drivers, SiS never made good drivers, my uncle PC experienced SiS AGP and IDE drivers problems but with builtin Windows XP drivers, it dont have problems but everytime he used Windows Update, it downloaded latest SiS drivers, it caused problem with shutdown and IDE poor performances. I wished I had ECS board with VIA chipset at the time but it wasnt in stock.

jAkUp
07-19-05, 09:54 PM
ECS is good?? You guys do know that they do not use computer standard capicators.

AthlonXP1800
07-19-05, 10:41 PM
ECS is good?? You guys do know that they do not use computer standard capicators.

I am very surprise to hear that, MSI also still did not use computer standard capicators too, they done very bad job with it and lost No 2 place to ECS and slipped to No 4. ECS really done very brilliant job, they must have the best engineers. :)

Tr1cK
07-20-05, 07:22 AM

The caps were of the same standard as my Soyo K7V Dragon+ because I used one to mod the Soyo board. And the wild thing is, the ECS board runs flawlessly without that one cap I stole. It's weird how it reports my 1700+ as 1800+ though. Voltages and everything is still good. If it dies, what am I out of? $50?

wheeljack12
07-20-05, 01:09 PM
The other thing that Jakup didn't mention is how many layers of silicon make up a motherboard. I know the economy companies like ECS are thinner boards that are more susceptible to electrical damage. It's not the engineering of a company like that that gets them bad reps, it's their materials and how much they use to make the motherboards. They are good for the economy user (I had the P4ITA at one time, so there) but I wouldn't look for long term use out of them.

Tr1cK
07-20-05, 01:24 PM
I know and did acknowledge they are budget boards. I am not 'fan' of ECS, just that I have one and it's been a solid little piece, granted it doesn't see the abuse my main rigs do.

What I'm interested in, and not necessarily from ECS, is the ULI M1695 chipset. If ECS was the only company to make one, I would definetly be on it.

AthlonXP1800
07-20-05, 05:54 PM
The other thing that Jakup didn't mention is how many layers of silicon make up a motherboard. I know the economy companies like ECS are thinner boards that are more susceptible to electrical damage. It's not the engineering of a company like that that gets them bad reps, it's their materials and how much they use to make the motherboards. They are good for the economy user (I had the P4ITA at one time, so there) but I wouldn't look for long term use out of them.

Of course ECS PCB board are thinner and shine, it lovely but you are wrong about ECS are more susceptible to electrical damage, it not, I found ECS use 8 to 10 layers on motherboard PCB, they done very damn fine job because they owned production facility called Biloda (http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1891&p=4), they made PCB boards. Both ASUS and ECS use the same amount of layers on motherboard PCB.

ASUS are still the number 1 market leader for motherboards for for years now, I current use ASUS A7V333 motherboard, it worked great for 3 years now, it very rock solid board. My uncle have number 2 ECS K7S5A board worked flawless for 3 years now, it as good as ASUS. My sister have number 3 Gigabyte GA-5AX board which I previously owned since 1997 worked flawless too and it amazing it survived for 8 years now. I had number 4 MSI with 2 motherboards in 2002, both K7T Pro2-A and K7T266 Pro2-RU boards both died 6 months apart. Only the top 3 ASUS, ECS and Gigabyte make very solid motherboards that last longer and have great stablity and MSI didnt do that.

wheeljack12
07-20-05, 06:45 PM
I would agree with some things there. MSI did such a wonderful job in making SLI boards. You can't put a 7800 GTX in their boards, there is a capacitor getting in the way. Seems you are pretty passionate about ECS. I didn't say they were bad and I apologize for not reading.