PDA

View Full Version : Help MUYA with his new...7800 GTX setup and Asus A8N-SLI (non deluxe)

Pages : [1] 2 3

MUYA
07-18-05, 12:31 PM
Help me if you can please! :)

Here is the breakdown,

got 2 GTX's-- LEadteks -same bios on both.
Got ASUS A8N-SLI mobo (non deluxe)
Antec True Power 2 550W PSU with 2 SLI connectors

the problem, computer does itermitently start ...leaving a blank screen without even showing the vid cards bios or even mobo boot process thing...from cold boot or even restarts from windows...

Tried, SLI, tried single/and alternate cards in single mode.

newesy nforce4 drivers... newest 77.72 forcewares,,,

changed PEG options to what white mute suggested in the "official I got a GTX thread".

..changed memory modules around...512MB and 1024MB mode....

...hmmm

any thoughts, suggestions...are welcome!

and thanks in advance guys!

|JuiceZ|
07-18-05, 12:33 PM
Hrm....have you tried flashing the latest Asus A8N bios?

MUYA
07-18-05, 12:35 PM
yes sir Juice Man...I have flashed a few bioses already :(

I also remember whereas the NV demos mad mike and luna....play flawlessly in single card config......nada in SLI mode?

freakweasel
07-18-05, 12:36 PM
Have you tried any other memory? i had that problem on my dfi and i had to change from ocz to mushkin. On my asus i have some value select that doesnt work properly so i have to use the ocz.

PSYCHODAD
07-18-05, 12:36 PM
Have you tried different vid card drivers. Might give the old 71.89 drivers a go and see if there's any improvement.

MUYA
07-18-05, 12:37 PM
Thing is Pyschodad, the system doesn't cold boot...or restart when i choose it intermitently etc... I have physically playa round with the DVI cable and seating of the card??? so...its not drivers methinks... :(

MUYA
07-18-05, 12:39 PM
Have you tried any other memory? i had that problem on my dfi and i had to change from ocz to mushkin. On my asus i have some value select that doesnt work properly so i have to use the ocz.
nope dude, I only have the memory as listed in my sig.

They worked well with my Asus A8v deluxe!

My take on this is because the memory works well on my A8V (via chipset I know) but since memory controller is on die on the k8s...if it ran fine before,,,should run fine...here...and also....i use the most conservative timings CL 2.5 etc!!

MUYA
07-18-05, 12:42 PM
I have also disabled everything I dun need like RAID, SATA, Audio.

BrianG
07-18-05, 12:59 PM
Thing is Pyschodad, the system doesn't cold boot...or restart when i choose it intermitently etc... I have physically playa round with the DVI cable and seating of the card??? so...its not drivers methinks... :(
So it restarts if you mess with the DVI cable?

Can you switch to an analog D-Sub? You may have a power or ground issue on the cable causing the card to flip out.

rombat
07-18-05, 01:06 PM
Hmmm do you have any usb device hooked up and turn on if so disconnect it and see? I have seen usb devices cause boot up problems some times.

MUYA
07-18-05, 01:06 PM
So it restarts if you mess with the DVI cable?

Can you switch to an analog D-Sub? You may have a power or ground issue on the cable causing the card to flip out.

Well I thoight maybe my DVI cable is on the blink and I tried analog as awell lat night ...same ole same ole :(

MUYA
07-18-05, 01:07 PM
Hmmm do you have any usb device hooked up and turn on if so disconnect it and see? I have seen usb devices cause boot up problems some times.
nope dude! I dun have anything USB'ey hooked up :(

uggh!!!

BrianG
07-18-05, 01:11 PM
Well I thoight maybe my DVI cable is on the blink and I tried analog as awell lat night ...same ole same ole :(
Have you tried reinstalling the motherboard to make sure it is properly lined up on the risers? Maybe check to make sure the CPU HSF unit has full clearance over the regulators?

Demigod
07-18-05, 01:12 PM
Silly question but do you have the extra molex plugged into the mobo?
And have you swapped the sli/ single card selector around

rombat
07-18-05, 01:12 PM
Have you also try taking one of the GTX card and seeing if it locks up using one video card? Scratch that my mistake seen you already tried that to, try using another power supply if you have one laying around.

MUYA
07-18-05, 01:17 PM
I have tried my old PSU, 480 Antec...and the one I am using..Antec 550W True power2 (Sli certified)

MUYA
07-18-05, 01:18 PM
Silly question but do you have the extra molex plugged into the mobo?
And have you swapped the sli/ single card selector around
yup checked against all those dude... single card is selected right now as I am testing cards by themselves...and I have the molex plugged into the mobo too :(

MUYA
07-18-05, 01:21 PM
Have you tried reinstalling the motherboard to make sure it is properly lined up on the risers? Maybe check to make sure the CPU HSF unit has full clearance over the regulators?
yup I cheked and the HSF is well clear of all caps etc :(

Thanks guys..Its 3 am...gotta wake up in 4 hours to goto work

Thanks for you helps...keep em coming ;) I will get to working this problem...when I get back from work....maybe, there won't be roundups for a couple of days when I get this problem sorted. :(

good nite for now folks and once again thanks guys,...

...I think I am going bald now....

MUYA
07-18-05, 01:24 PM
In case you uys are interested....the links t single card 3dmark 2k5 runs...

A single card with 1024MB RAM,

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12592&stc=1

The other card with 512MB RAM,

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=12594&stc=1

SH64
07-18-05, 03:30 PM
Have you tired messing around with the RAM timings ? try CL3 & different other combos. also upping the DRAM voltage ...
also i would insist on changing the RAM modules with other brand/timings .. some mobos are so selective when it comes to RAM. i have some issues right now actually with my current OCZ RAMs & when i tried Corsair it even got worse.

zoomy942
07-18-05, 03:45 PM
i would say mess with the RAM timings. if not, try a different brand. i can concur with sh64 that some mobos are very picky. Also, this may sound silly, but maybe take out the mobo, and set it on a table. plug in the cards and all that and power up the machine. that way it is totally isolated from any metal in your pc. lastly, try reseating everything, you may have already done that, but i have seen that save the day on more than one occasion. something else you could try would be (if you can) try those cards in a different mobo. that way you can eliminate as many variables as possible

JohnEJohn
07-18-05, 04:43 PM
This is exactly what I had to do with my asus A8N-SLI Deluxe. got dreaded MAchine check exceptions random reboots, CTD's, only way to fix it was to use the silcion image controller (helped a lot) and mess with ram timings (stabalised system, get wonderful ram beches :D)

Anyway the suggestion to take the board is a good one as I once had a client whose chasis was causing a short-circuit!. Just install, CPU, RAM, VIDEO (reseating them all) I would use some compressed air on the video slots too as the having to jiggle the cards sounds kinda wierd (unless you meant the actual DVI Cable) also some contact cleaner. Also check that the Single/Dual chip selector is clean (as well as the port) I know this sounds trivial and maybe insulting but its not meant to be! And again try your older power supply. And just use one card

I would also get my hand's on a Diagnostic Post Card (can save major headaches)

As mentioned though i would be very suspicious of the memory, trust me just because it uses the same Brand board it can still have issues with the new hardware (hey this is a mass produced(ish) board). Surely you can borrow some from somewhere, or just buy a cheap 128MB stick.

Make sure to take ESD precautions also.

Failing that, and trying all BIOS options I would
1., Try each graphics card in a friends pc
2., Rma the board, I mean the above is enough to make a saint swear!!

Good luck!

EDIT
Just realised I have stolen some of above posters suggestions, sorry dude :O)

7800GTX
07-18-05, 04:48 PM
I had similar with my AN8-SLI Premium, I turned everything off except for keyboard and mouse in the bios, then I changed the memory timings from 1T to 2T and that did wonders to my system. I think it might be a memory problem.

GlowStick
07-18-05, 04:54 PM
Hm, i really feel it could be the memory, because even though my memory worked fine in my A8V-deluxe board, it refused to work on my Dfi board. BrianG could be right, it could be a weird groudning issue, i accidently left a mobo riser in one time and it freaked me out untill i took out the mobo and put it on a phonebook and it worked fine.

If all else fails, demand refunds!

ViN86
07-18-05, 05:05 PM
for some reason, when my board boots it to skips over the boot screen occasionally (usually with a restart from windows, sometimes from cold boot). tbh i dont know what it is, but it still boots to windows and runs rock stable.

wish i could help more :(