PDA

View Full Version : Dell Latitude and GeForce 6 Series

montgal
07-18-05, 01:26 PM
Hello All:

Don't get upset, but I am a neophyte when it comes to video cards and gaming (but not the computer field).

I have become addicted :) to gaming, and want to purchase some games such as: Battlefield: Vietnam, Spinter Cell, Ghost Recon just to name a few. And yes, I just heard (only today) about the NVidia GeForce cards by reading about the games I want to buy. I never heard of NVidia GeForce products before.

I just purchased a pre-owed Dell Latitude C600 laptop.

My question: is there a NVidia Geforce 6800 card that can fit into the Latitude C600 laptops?

Alphonso Montgomery

FierceDeityLink
07-18-05, 01:41 PM
Latitudes aren't really gaming machines. The end-user cannot upgrade the graphics card AFAIK. I don't think that the Latitudes have support for the 6800 Go series, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a Latitude C640 with a Radeon 7500 mobile. Check Dell's website or call them to see if there's an upgrade available. You'd have to send your laptop back to them regardless for them to upgrade it.

We do appreciate your business however we regret the fact that at this time, the limited quantity available for the "Save $750 off select Inspirons over $1499" offer has been sold out.

saturnotaku
07-18-05, 01:59 PM
Latitudes aren't really gaming machines. The end-user cannot upgrade the graphics card AFAIK. I don't think that the Latitudes have support for the 6800 Go series, but correct me if I'm wrong.

They don't. The only Dell laptops that support the 6800 Go are the Inspiron 9300 and Inspiron XPS (both of which can get very pricey).

To the original poster in this thread, if you want to take full advantage of the capabilities of the 68xx or all-new 78xx lineup of cards, you would be well-advised to get yourself a good desktop computer. A 3 GHz Intel, 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 (3500+) or better and 1 GB of RAM is a minimum of what you would need to really take advantage of the huge amount of horsepower the graphics cards offer, not to mention having a good CRT or LCD monitor capable of 1600x1200 resolution.

Since you are so new, you may want to consider having a machine built by an OEM (Dell, Alienware, et al) so you know it will work right out of the box.

shoman24v
07-18-05, 04:18 PM
You can't play games on the C600, well at least anything that is 2-3 years old.

Ronin
07-18-05, 07:13 PM
Note that the 6800 in the 9300 is not the same as the 6800 in the XPS Gen2.

The one in the Gen2 looks like this:

http://server.counter-strike.net/images/misc/gddr36800gou.jpg

when shipped from Dell. I'm not sure what the GDDR1 version looks like (in the 9300, that is..I do have another laptop with the GDDR1 version, but haven't torn apart a 9300 to compare), but I can tell you that trying to use the GDDR3 version on my GDDR1 version laptop, that even with taking off the cooling solution shown in the picture, the GDDR3 version is larger, and will not fit.

Sazar
07-18-05, 07:30 PM
The new latitude D series should theoretically support the 6800GO as should the Inspiron 6000 but you won't see it in there for a coupla reasons. Size/heat issues as well as PSU, again referring back to the size factor.

The only nvidia cards you can get on the Dell notebooks are Quadro's on the Precision lineup and the Inspiron 9300 and XPS Gen 2 notebooks with the 6800/6800 ultra respectively.

The 9300 is more of a multi-media unit while the XPS is the creme-de-la-creme. You have to buy a notebook with that gfx card in there, unfortunately the C series are 2 generations behind the current Latitude notebooks out there.

shoman24v
07-18-05, 07:51 PM
My 6800go Ultra gets over 6K in 3DMark05 :eek:

Sazar
07-18-05, 07:54 PM
Heh :D I should consider buying one but I am more enamoured with the X-1.

Gonna save up a little first though, might be moving back to Florida, depending on what the ol' lass wants to do :angel:

shoman24v
07-18-05, 11:23 PM
X-1 is pretty damn sweet, BUT no build in CD drive :thumbdwn:

Also there has been rumors that the XPS 2 will support the 7800go :eek: BUT i hear it's going to only be 16 pipes. For me to upgrade, that card better get over 6k in 3DMark05.