PDA

View Full Version : Valve finds a new publisher

Pages : [1] 2 3

LiquidX
07-18-05, 03:46 PM
EA will also assume distribution duties of a new Game of the Year edition of Half-Life 2 for the PC, which will include Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, plus Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, and Half-Life: Source in a single box.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/18/news_6129331.html

Mr. Hunt
07-18-05, 04:09 PM
Wow... a crappy publisher + a crappy developer... well I guess that just equals an EA game.

Gaco
07-18-05, 04:49 PM
I don't really agree on Valve being a crappy developer, why would you say that? Just because of an engine that is a little buggy?

Anyway HL2 won loads of GOTY-2004 awards and stands as won of the highest rated FPS's ever... And personally I loved HL2 too.

Now about EA being a crappy publisher there's a point but the extend can also be discussed :)

BTW Battlefield-serien, The Sims serien, Burnout series, Need for Speed Underground, Black & White, Sim City series, Command & Conquer: Generals, Medal of Honor series, LotR: Battle for Middle-Earth are all newer EA games too and I enjoyed most of those titled dispite some of them had really crappy patchsupport (especially Generals).. But I don't see EA being so bad as some people would make them, I think some of the explanation also lies in the market mechanisms that has developed in the games industry for the past 10 years and also with the consumers who apparently buy their titles.
So I guess you can both see EA in a good or bad way but anyhow I'm not strongly for or against EA except when their patchsupport for a game is really bad. Large companies tend to get unpopular in general (take Microsoft for example) and that's just how it works.

But yeah, I'd wish EA could show quite a bit more goodwillingness on the creative side and less on their analyse-the-market-for-the-only-purpose-to-make-more-money-no-matter-the-quality-of-the-games-trip :thumbdwn:

Mr. Hunt
07-18-05, 04:50 PM
Half-Life 2 is ok... the problem is that they can't develop a game within a decent timeframe.

Gaco
07-18-05, 05:01 PM
Half-Life 2 is ok... the problem is that they can't develop a game within a decent timeframe.

That's their own problem, they're losing huge sums of money if the game gets too much behind schedule and their game-tecnology begins to fade in comparison to newer games.. Yes it IS annoying when they give us a releasedate and doens't keep it, but I've learned and lived with that for a long time now. That's just how it is developing games, unexpected stuff can come up all the time but I don't really think WE as consumers with any fairness have a very good reason to complain (or for others, whine their a$$ off), because it's the gamedevelopers, it's Valve who are making very big risks and investments.

Wasn't long time ago I read that 90% of all computergames suffers from deficiency and that made me think that a lot of people are putting their work on the line for us gamers... I don't know about you but it gives me a little more respect for those people :thumbsup:

Ninjaman09
07-18-05, 05:44 PM
EA? Sheesh Valve, way to go. :thumbdwn:

Seph gPu
07-18-05, 06:03 PM
They both suck, so it's a good fit. Valve's horrible stuttering engine and lying ways + EA's thumb on the world = teh win.

Edge
07-18-05, 07:21 PM
Wow, blind leading the blind I guess. I'd hate to see how buggy Valve's games will be now. But eh, I almost always wait until games go on clearance anyway, and by then they have a dozen or so patches out which fix most of the major problems. Although, HL2 is still far from perfect...so maybe with some of EA's money they'll be able to fix it up more and add some much needed features into the engine (yeah, a long shot, but I guess we can hope).

Rakeesh
07-18-05, 07:56 PM
so maybe with some of EA's money they'll be able to fix it up more and add some much needed features into the engine (yeah, a long shot, but I guess we can hope).

Hah!

...er wait, did you mean this decade or the next decade?

nutcrackr
07-18-05, 08:29 PM
Good lord no, anyone but EA. I would have thought they would have signed with Activision since they are doing DOD for them. I'd rather Vivendi to be honest :(

Bad_Boy
07-18-05, 08:33 PM
i would make some funny comment on this, but these two companies dont deserve it.

Sazar
07-18-05, 08:34 PM
EA is a large publisher but their ethics wrt crushing the competition leave a lot to be desired.

Wrt Valve, I guess they were out to find the biggest publisher around and they did.

Intel17
07-18-05, 09:42 PM
I'm glad we've got the likes of Epic and Id still around not signing with EA. Valve is second rate anyway.

j0j081
07-18-05, 09:43 PM
Although everyone likes to bash EA and most of the time for good reason you have to admit they are the one company who always makes money so I don't think this is such a bad decision by Valve. On a side note, what's the point of the GOTY Edition? I bought the collector's edition which has those exact items. Oh wait...EA's way of making more money off something old.

Son Goku
07-18-05, 11:57 PM
They might make money, but from the user's end it is not always a good thing. One can mention eating up competition, but there's also a question of support. I've had a few games from Activision (which as I remember got eaten up by EA) among some other games from them directly... Patch updates and support wasn't always a bed of roses...

ChrisRay
07-19-05, 03:17 AM
I got to admit. EA is not my favorite company at all in regards to publifications.

muaddib
07-19-05, 07:25 AM
EA?! Nooooooooo, Valve and its workers have literally sold thier souls to the devil!

Zelda_fan
07-19-05, 07:36 AM
I don't really agree on Valve being a crappy developer, why would you say that? Just because of an engine that is a little buggy?

yes

Gaco
07-19-05, 10:10 AM
Lol, then there wouldn't be anything but crappy developers in the world then ffs! :p

Anyhow my experience with HL2 has been almost nothing but smoothness and very few bugs...

ST:DS9
07-19-05, 10:27 AM
But won't Valve still have total control over the game, and pay for the development out of their own pocket, all EA is doing is distrubiting Valve games, and EA won't have any power or rights in teh development of any Valve games.

Zelda_fan
07-19-05, 10:32 AM
Lol, then there wouldn't be anything but crappy developers in the world then ffs! :p

Anyhow my experience with HL2 has been almost nothing but smoothness and very few bugs...

All that games on ID software engines I've played run smooth. Anything EPIC has came out with has ran smooth.

Gaco
07-19-05, 10:41 AM
So there are 2 great developers on the market, the rest are categorize "crappy developers"?

I simply don't agree. A smooth engine is not EVERYTHING in a game, the gameplay, story and multiplayer value weighs a lot for me too. If ID is a good developer and Valve is a crappy developer explain me why Half-Life 2 has been getting consistently higher scores than Doom 3?

jAkUp
07-19-05, 10:44 AM
EA??!! Oh god. Gabe how could you do this :( I have had no issues with stuttering or anything with the Source engine, so I think its great.

Vagrant Zero
07-19-05, 10:48 AM
Well it looks like Hades has jumped into bed with Lucifer. Those incestous ****s.

Rakeesh
07-19-05, 10:57 AM

I bought the game two weeks after it came out, couldn't play it until 5 months later due to a major hardware incompatibility. Then once I could play it, it was buggy as hell.

Doom 3 on the other hand ran perfect on the very first version right out of the box as well, and this was 3 months earlier. Farcry ran fine as well.

That can only mean one thing: my hardware is just fine, valve just sucks.