PDA

View Full Version : Dual Channel Question

RobMedlock
07-18-05, 04:33 PM
Ok, So I currently have 2 x 512MB Corsair PC3200 CAS2.5 VS512MB400 sticks In my motherboard, operating in dual channel,

I understand that in order for the Dual Channeled-ness to work, the 2 DIMMS in the dual channel must match,

I have 4 slots in my motherboard for ram, so, my question is, if I add another 2 512 MB sticks which both match, do they need to be the same as the two already in the other dual channel 'channel' or can they be different, so long as the pair are the same

ie

Dual channel 1
1x 512 corsair
1x 512 corsair

Dual Channel 2
1x 512 Something else
1x 512 ^^^^same as that one

I think i have over explained this a bit but what the hell, its a pretty simple question but i dont wanna waste money on getting ram and finding out its useless, i found the ram i have already just now very cheaply here http://www.dabs.com/UK/productview?quicklinx=2X23

would i be better off just buying more of that (1GB for 60?!?! seems too good to be true!)

saturnotaku
07-18-05, 05:23 PM
Quick and dirty answer: probably not.

Intel boards are somewhat less picky, but it's generally not a good idea to run with all DIMM banks filled. Since you'd be mixing and matching, you would be better off selling your Corsair and going with the 2x1 GB modules instead.

RobMedlock
07-19-05, 12:53 PM
ok thanks!