PDA

View Full Version : Abit AV8 - BYE BYE you POS

Riptide
07-18-05, 05:35 PM
I have been dealing with the temp reporting bug from this thing for a long, long time now. The last two BIOS updates have been complete garbage, totally screwing all sorts of stuff up. Today I was reading some posts on their forums and a few of their users were getting pissy about people voicing their irritation with Abit for not fixing these problems.

So it kinda set me off in a bad way... I went to zipzoomfly and ordered an ASUS A8V 2.0. Only $110 w/2nd day air free. At least that motherboard can report temperatures right, unlike this Abit. And while ASUS has had some bad beta BIOS releases, the finals are usually OK. So back to ASUS for me... I know it's another VIA board but I've had good luck w/the K8T800 for stability so I want to stick with it.

saturnotaku
07-18-05, 05:51 PM
Still compelled to run a Windows-based PC even after all the crap you've been through, eh? :p

Seriously, I don't blame you at all for wanting to switch. I'd be pissed as hell too if Abit was as uncommitted to fixing these problems as people say they are.

Riptide
07-18-05, 05:55 PM
Meh I haven't had many problems I can blame on Windows per se - it's just that these hardware manufacturers sometimes drop the ball. TBH it was the reaction I saw from some of their users in the forums over there that really got me going. I had been toying with replacing this board for a while since the ASUS in my wife's 3200+ seemed to work so nicely. So the whining I saw over there just kinda pushed me over the edge. ;)

keith33
07-18-05, 07:51 PM
Congrats. I know exactly how you feel dealing with a damn board that can't report proper temps. I had that and a few stability issues with my "wonderful" MSI K8N Neo2. When I got my new video card and hence new board, I took out the dremel and made sure no one would ever have to deal with that ******* f*king board again. It was the most rewarding 2 minutes of my life (took the nforce 3 chip though, it's my new keychain :p). From going to Asus from MSI, I can honestly say you made the right decision. The Asus boards might not always be the fastest, but they are sure as hell stable and can take all the torture you throw at them. Good luck.

Riptide
07-18-05, 09:34 PM
@keith33: Yeah I had the Neo2 when it first came out. Very disappointing. The early revisions especially sucked horribly.

@zeero1978: It is reporting temps extremely high. My BIOS shows CPU @ 62c idle. This is a known issue with the Abit AV8.

Shamrock
07-18-05, 10:41 PM
Hey Rip, I have always had good support with EPoX, and so far this Gigabyte board is awesome too. Just 2 more choices for future reference.

I had an ASUS, and it wasnt a stellar performer, but it was stable, just not stellar performance, as everyone raves about.