PDA

View Full Version : Defective Plextor PX-716SA?

OldOfEvil
07-18-05, 10:09 PM
I tried to get the best parts for the rig I just recently built, and have been regretting my purchase of the Plextor PX-716SA from day one.

It was loud and seemed to vibrate excessively, though I admit I didnít use any rubber grommets/dampers.. I assume normal screws would be suffice.

Finicky behavior in windows - It would often take multiple tries to read a disc, that worked just fine on my old Lite-On. And odd habit of coming to a crawl during some read operations.

More recently, the drive wonít close and has to be pushed shut. It opens easily enough though. Going to try and RMA it now..

I also never observed it to be faster than my Lite-On LDW-401S, which was fairly barebones compared to all the features the PX-716SA..

So, did get a bad unit, or does this drive need another revision.

My first Plextor drive, btw, all the rest have been Ďcheapí Lite-On and Pioneer Drives..

-=DVS=-
07-18-05, 10:25 PM
Must be defective RMA it , i got one to love it compared to Nec 3500.

dandano
07-20-05, 12:58 AM
I have the same opitcal drive, and it has never had any problems. Any chance you can exchange yours at the retailer?

danh

jAkUp
07-20-05, 01:01 AM
Yes, never had an issues with mine either. Its much more quiet than my old Liteon was, thats for sure, and seems a tad faster. Tray takes a second to eject, thats kinda annoying :)

LBJM
07-20-05, 01:08 AM
I have one in my file server. the only problem i had was with it and alcohol 120% didn't allow for use of gigarec and made discs burned with other programs not work. uninstalling alcohol fixed that problem.