PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see a 7800 GTX AGP?

Maverickman
07-19-05, 07:33 AM
I know this one has been discussed already, but the only way I would consider getting a 7800 GTX would be if an AGP part were available. I won't upgrade my aging system just to run this card. I can't believe Nvidia's partners would ignore the huge installed base of AGP users. It just doesn't make sense. AGP will come to an end soon enough, but it still has a ton of life left in it.

scott123
07-19-05, 09:38 AM
Likely not.

jAkUp
07-19-05, 10:50 AM
They said they would if there was enough demand.

omzig
07-19-05, 10:54 AM
After the hash they made of the 6800 & NF3 i wonld'nt buy one even if they released it...once bitten,twice shy :thumbdwn:

GOZ
07-19-05, 11:39 AM
I would buy one too if it were AGP.

Mojoe
07-19-05, 11:51 AM
I hope i dont have to see another high end Agp card again, if so i had to get one to.

zoomy942
07-19-05, 12:00 PM
i'm not sure if there will be an AGP version. thats why i have changed over to PCIE, and coasting along with a 6600gt till i can afford a newer PCIE card

supra
07-19-05, 12:05 PM
I won't upgrade my aging system just to run this card.

im a agp user myself but im considering moving to pcix. might seem a bit stupid to upgrade just to run a 7800gtx but keep in mind, you will have the ability to wack in future gfx cards. :D

however i did read somewhere that even though nVidia wont release a agp of 7800gtx, the next series will support agp.

Ronin
07-19-05, 12:21 PM
...now i'm confused.

i'm now hesitant to buy a msi neo2 platinum board...

Don't be. 3 Neo2's, no problems whatsoever with any 6800 I put in there (from Vanilla up to UEE).

Osamar
07-19-05, 12:26 PM
I prefer a 7600 AGP to put in my little Shuttle.

Ronin
07-19-05, 12:56 PM
Before I get flamed, you should note that there have been reports of issues from different people, and some people are in fact having problems, but it's one of those "the minority is always more vocal than the majority when it comes to problems" situations.

I still comfortably recommend the Neo2 as a solid board to anyone looking for a NF3 based motherboard. I've used the Neo, the Neo2, and now the Neo4, and have had no issues with any of them. Hell, the original reason I went to MSI is because my AMD guy specifically recommended them to me.

Acid Rain
07-19-05, 11:34 PM
After the hash they made of the 6800 & NF3 i wonld'nt buy one even if they released it...once bitten,twice shy :thumbdwn:

The funniest thing ever is the "Waaahhh...my card doesn't OC without problems!!! Waahhh!! nVidia suckssuxxxxsuxx and nForce 3 neadzz dethdethdeth!!! nvidahh fixt itz no0w. tiz iz a hewg pr03lemzz".

Umm, no-one ever said a product is guarranteed to run out of spec. And 99% of people with the stuttering are ocing. Hardly a reason to piss all over the products in question.

That felt good to say, finally, and was in no way intended as a personal insult.

rewt
07-20-05, 12:00 AM
I'm with you omzig.

omzig
07-20-05, 04:20 PM
The funniest thing ever is the "Waaahhh...my card doesn't OC without problems!!! Waahhh!! nVidia suckssuxxxxsuxx and nForce 3 neadzz dethdethdeth!!! nvidahh fixt itz no0w. tiz iz a hewg pr03lemzz".

Umm, no-one ever said a product is guarranteed to run out of spec. And 99% of people with the stuttering are ocing. Hardly a reason to piss all over the products in question.

That felt good to say, finally, and was in no way intended as a personal insult.

Humm Did i say i was overlocking anything in my rig? errr NO!

i suggest that you check out the 58 page skicky thread about this problem here

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=656575

so that in future you can be a little more informed before running off at the mouth...

but then again as it seems that you cant even read or totally misenterpreted one line of txt im guessing you wont bother...which btw is no way intended as a personal insult

BigWilly
07-21-05, 02:58 PM
Come on people AGP is going to be replaced anyway, I for one am not surprised that there is no AGP version of the 7800 GTX. In the near future all cards with be pciE. It's kind of like SATA strarting to replace IDE, soon IDE will be dead too. I say out wit the old in with da new! :afro:

ViN86
07-21-05, 07:29 PM
how hard is it to make an AGP card honestly? 6600 was native PCIe and all they did was add a chip to make it AGP (thats why the 6600GT's are slanted). so..... why cant they just add a chip to the 7800GTX?

PCIe will be the future, but AGP still has plenty of bandwidth and plenty of users out there.

oh yea, as for OC'ing and complaining, my card's memory doesnt OC at all (literally). whatever, the card runs great at stock speeds. i mean, that is the what i paid for, hehe. :)

j0j081
07-22-05, 12:46 AM
Humm Did i say i was overlocking anything in my rig? errr NO!

i suggest that you check out the 58 page skicky thread about this problem here

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=656575

so that in future you can be a little more informed before running off at the mouth...

but then again as it seems that you cant even read or totally misenterpreted one line of txt im guessing you wont bother...which btw is no way intended as a personal insult
The fact is the problem mostly occurs when overclocking is enabled so he has a good point. I am running an nForce3 setup with a 6800gt and it works absolutely great unless I OC too much.

SquireSCA
07-22-05, 10:11 PM
Come on people AGP is going to be replaced anyway, I for one am not surprised that there is no AGP version of the 7800 GTX. In the near future all cards with be pciE. It's kind of like SATA strarting to replace IDE, soon IDE will be dead too. I say out wit the old in with da new! :afro:

The problem is that some of use cannot justify scrapping a current mobo, CPU and possibly RAM, to upgrade from a 6800GT/Ultra to a 7800GTX. I priced it out at Frys the other day. Unless I want to downgrade my CPU power, to keep that a level playing field, I have to spend about $1100 with tax to upgrade my video card.

I have a P4 Prescot running at 3.8Ghz. In order to be comparable to that, I need a S939 3500+ Minimum(and I need to OC that as well), a new mobo, and then the $550 video card.

Just not worth it to me, although I am dying to get one.

I know that AGP is on the way out, but X850 XT PE and 6800 Ultras are not exactly slouches.

tgnb
08-01-05, 10:03 AM
count me as another person with a fairly recent AGP motherboard who would upgrade to a 7800 AGP card if it was available

shoes
08-02-05, 04:41 AM
I will probably just get a S754 'fill in' mobo to run a 7800GTX for a while then go with the X2 4400+ a bit later. Asus, Epox, MSI, ECS, Foxconn all have S754 PCIe NF4 mobos.

macatak
08-02-05, 05:31 AM
Some info in this thread (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146410), nothing concrete still :)

anzak
08-02-05, 06:13 AM
I will probably just get a S754 'fill in' mobo to run a 7800GTX for a while then go with the X2 4400+ a bit later. Asus, Epox, MSI, ECS, Foxconn all have S754 PCIe NF4 mobos.

Yeah, I've had my eye on the MSI Neo3 for a while.

aldamon
08-05-05, 03:35 PM
Still crossing my fingers.